Biography of Aditya Roy Kapur
Hindi film actor Aditya Roy Kapur was born on November 16, 1985, in the family of Kapur’s. He is nicknamed ‘Adi’ in Bollywood. In 2009’s London Dreams musical drama, he made his acting debut. With his performance in the musical romance Aashiqui 2, for which he received praise from critics and won numerous accolades, including the most prestigious award for Best Actor in a Romantic Role, Kapur experienced his first commercial success.
Let us know more about this Bollywood actor when the hangover of his ‘Aashiqui 2’ is very fresh in your mind.
Life Before Debuting in Bollywood
You might be curious to know about the life of Aditya before he entered the film industry as an actor. Well, he comes from a Hindu, Khatri Punjabi family with Jewish background on the maternal side. His elder brother is the CEO of UTV Motion Pictures, and his other brother is an actor.
He is the brother-in-law of famous Bollywood actress Vidya Balan. A young Adi dreamed of becoming a cricketer but left coaching after some time while in sixth grade.
Quick fact: In 11th standard, he failed in St. Xavier’s and later enrolled in St. Andrew’s College to save a year. But, finally, he graduated from St. Xavier’s College, under the University of Mumbai.
As he graduated, now comes what to do in life, isn’t it obvious? So, he became a VJ on Channel V. There, Aditya Roy Kapur was recognized for his incredible comic timing and hosting talent. He worked with VJ Brauna Abdullah and hosted a show called ‘Pakao’ till 2008.
Early Days in Bollywood of Aditya Roy Kapur
Kapur made his Hindi film debut in the 2009 comedy-drama London Dreams, starring Salman Khan, Ajay Devgn, and Asin Thottumkal. His two movies from 2010—Action Replay starring Akshay Kumar and Guzaarish with Hrithik Roshan—continued the trend of supporting parts. But none of these movies were successful at the theatre or able to make Kapur prominent.
His fate took a turn, and hard work paid off, ‘Aashiqui 2’ was released in 2013, and he became a sensation overnight. It is no joke that it was not his luck but his consistency through these years when he played supporting roles.
The Life After Breakthrough Year and More
Every big name in Bollywood was a struggler in the initial days. Although he had a family background in the film industry through his brother, nothing came to him quickly.
Only in 2013, when ‘Aashiqui 2’ was released, his life took a U-turn, and he became the heart of millions. Aashiqui 2, which debuted on April 26, 2013, was a financial triumph at the box office and one of the most famous Bollywood movies of 2013, earning 1.45 billion (approximately USD 18 million) globally in the first four weeks of release.
In that year, Kapur portrayed Avinash Arora as the supporting character in the movie ‘Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani,’ which became the most commercially successful movie of his career and one of the biggest-grossing Indian movies ever.
In 2020, alongside Sanya Malhotra, Aditya Roy Kapur played Aakash Chauhan in the dark comedy crime movie Ludo, which debuted on Netflix.
Awards and Acclamation
- BIG Star Entertainment Award for Most Romantic Performance 2013.
- BIG Star Entertainment Award for Most Romantic Couple with Shraddha Kapoor in ‘Aashiqui 2.’
- IIFA Award for Supporting Role in 2014.
- Star Guild Award For Best Jodi with Shraddha Kapoor in 2014.
- International Film Academy Awards Best Supporting Actor for ‘Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani’ in 2014.
Trivial facts About Aditya Roy Kapur
- Doesn’t smoke, only Alcohol is understood from his roles in ‘Aashiqui 2’ and ‘Yeh Jawani Hai Diwani.
- Owns BMW 5 Series and Royal Enfield Cast Iron 500.
- Eating the same breakfast for the past seven years.
- The secret to his fit physique at age 37 is the mantra of ‘moderation.’
- Loves desi lunch- Roti, Bhaji, and Chicken
- His net worth is around 54 crores, and he gets paid up to 4 crores for a film.
- Adi loves collecting matchboxes, a rare hobby.
- Affair rumors with actress Shraddha Kapoor and Ahana Deol, but no official relationship status.
- He is a big foodie and loves bingeing on street food.
- Once he appeared on the sets drunk for a shot in ‘Aashiqui 2’, which later got canceled, he was not in complete senses.
- Before coming to films, he used to eat half-liter ice cream buckets in a single go.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Aditya Roy Kapur” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information,