Updated June 2, 2023
Introduction to XML Uses
XML has been defined as a universal data interchange and a cross-platform that helps transport data, and their tags are not predefined, so web developers can do their tags while working with no restrictions. They are used in many aspects for distributing data over the web. Most importantly, the main uses are to process and build our web forms to generate well. Another use is we can quickly add XML directly to a Web page. It is good to use XML in the application as it has been used as an XML-based language; several new languages to meet their specific needs were based on XML. In this article, we will discuss the most popular application XML Uses. And we will also learn how these application uses of XML enhance the scope of Mark Up Language.
Uses of XML in Various Fields
In general, XML plays a vital role in the web. Below we will give some specific domains that use XML applications.
XML has a variety of uses in the sectors like Web, e-business, and mobile applications. A few XML-based Languages include XHTML, RSS, SMIL, WSDL, WAP, and SOAP. Developers use XML files for creating database-driven applications. Due to their flexibility, they could transfer data without missing descriptive information among corporate databases. A few examples, like XML business-to-business applications, share information electronically between buyers and sellers. It’s an excellent choice for exchanging formats with small collections of data.
The following are a few of the applications for which XML is beneficial:
- Plays a major role in Web Publishing to do interactive web pages, enhancing the customer to customize a web page and giving a hand in creating e-commerce applications elegantly. The beauty of XML lies in its ability to store data, which various users or remote devices can then render through the utilization of Extensible Stylesheet concepts and Stylesheets.
- XML lets us in Searching and automate a task. Web Agents like Robots, web searchers, or spiders efficiently give reliable results. For instance, using HTML, the content is displayed as such, but with XML, a piece of information contained in the tag element returns the result.
- We could use XML in general applications as it is a Standard format to access and retrieve information anywhere or on any device for their applications to display data.
- XML stores product details and facilitates business processing in e-commerce applications.
- An excellent use of XML is to develop Content Management Systems. The Doc Book generates XML documents.
- Developers use the concept of XML in Android to write UI code and design a perfect user interface because XML is scalable and reliable. Those XML files are Layout, Strings XML, styles, and Dimensions.
- XML Parser helps to access data or to modify data in many technologies.
- XML plays a vital role in server-side processing in the family of technologies that work with metadata. It helps in opening new possibilities for distribution and transportation.
- Other uses of XML include Simple Object Access Protocol, a method invocation. In the case of Form Control, it helps in separating data on the form.
- Using XML technologies helps build new technologies like Web Services, Voice XML, and other wireless features.
XML makes it easier while implementing electronic data interchange (EDI) to interchange data information and business-to-business transactions. It also provides easier and simple portable metadata in a reusable format. It has made an interesting foundation in Pervasive Computing like personal digitals and mobile phones.
Few Applications of XML are the Biggest around Today
HTML, the first markup language, uses HTML as a backend service to store data in plain- text while working with massive Websites. New programming languages typically work in conjunction with XML. Many industries have created their standards for XML documents.
XHTML: A combination of XML and HTML displays an XML document in Web Browsers. A sample Example is shown below.
<?xml version="1.0"?> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> <head> <title> This a New Web Page for EDUCBA Management! </title> </head> <body> <h1> Welcome to The Home Page! </h1> <center> This is well Oragnized Online Courses tied up With International Universities. <p> Here's a New Courses Available! </p> </center> </body> </html>
Scalable Vector Graphics
Using this, we can do two-dimensional graphics using XML markup to support animation. It supports the Styling and Scripting concept by which images can be animated and edited.
Vector Mark-up Language (VML)
This markup uses Vector Graphics on the web and makes the images in a vector format. If a subset of XML is written using XML syntax, it allows resizing and coloring objects such as rectangles and ovals. And it supports versatile graphics.
The layout of the Android is written in XML. The additional file content resources are added to them.
sample Android Code using XML
<resources> <string name="new_name">My Example</string> <string name="Welcome">Hello Users!</string> <string name="Page_settings">View Cahnges</string> <string name="login_id">User name </string> // Definition of a String. </resources>
Creating XML Structure in SQL Server
This is based on a schema. We have received a request to create an XML Document from the table created. The server provides an option.
SELECT BID, User name, profile, FName, MName, LName, FROM User.User WHERE BID = 12545 FOR XML AUTO, ELEMENTS GO
Resulting XML Output
<User.User> < BID> 12545 </BID> <profile> Permanent <profile> <FName> Dorai <FName> <MName> padma <MName> <LName> sankar <LName> </User.User>
Many XML applications exist; in this article, we have covered only a few applications and discussed their goals and other impacts in recent Web Technology. We could see XML implementations everywhere on the Internet. So, with a good solid foundation in XML, one can write and make applications in XML. XML finds extensive application in web development for data sharing, making it an incredible asset in the scientific and industrial sectors.
This is a guide to XML Uses. Here we discuss the uses of XML in various fields and the few applications of XML that are the biggest around today. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –