Introduction to Word Processors for Windows
The following article provides an outline for Word Processors for Windows. A computer program for editing and formatting the text when input is provided so that output is visible in the word processing page that helps users to modify or analyze the text for further requirements is called Word Processors. Initially, we had word processing devices that can work without any dependency on the system, but nowadays, most of the word processors work along with the system, and hence it is a software program. We cannot call Word processor as a text editor alone as it helps create the documents and then edit based on the requirements.
Various Word Processors
The most used word processor in Windows is Microsoft Word. Preinstalled, we enjoy the privileges of a word editor with all the features and importing capabilities. We can also access Microsoft Word online for free without any additional charges. We have all types of fonts and different editing capabilities in the Word processor of Microsoft. We can add visual effects to the word document and add images wherever required. Also, we can modify PowerPoint or paint documents into word documents and make necessary changes in the same. Tables can be added, and we can access the documents from anywhere if saved virtually.
Though we are familiar with Microsoft word in Windows, we have other word processors that can be used free.
1. Google Docs
- This is the best alternative of Microsoft Word as it is offered for free for all who have a Google account. We don’t have all the complex features of Microsoft Word, but this is a go-to application for those who need to quickly edit a document present in email or does not have Microsoft Word pre-installed in their system. The edited documents in google docs are saved in Google Drive so that it is accessible from any device where Google drive is synchronized.
- All the documents we edit in Google Docs are autosaved in Google Drive, so we need not worry about the document being unsaved. Also, it is easy to import any kind of documents into Google Docs. This allows us to download the document into the local drive and use it for any other purposes locally. Furthermore, if we would like to share the document with others, we can do so through Google Drive, and we can collaborate with them for any work in real-time so that time can be saved while working on documents.
- With less features, most people do not prefer this application, but this is a good application if we have very few needs with the features of Word document.
2. OpenOffice Writer
- Similar to Microsoft Word but no ribbon present in the application, OpenOffice Writer by Apache is preferred by many who hate Microsoft updates after 2003. The document format is different from Microsoft Word, but we can import any document files which OpenOffice will format.
- We have most of the Microsoft Word features in OpenOffice Document so that we can easily edit the doc or docx files in OpenOffice. However, if one prefers cloud support for the document or would like to edit the document online, OpenOffice cannot be considered as it does not have any cloud support. We can use Google Drive or any other cloud to store OpenOffice documents and use it whenever needed; OpenOffice does not have a cloud for itself.
3. LibreOffice Writer
- This is also an average Word processor with limited features so that users can make use of all the features and prepare or edit a word document. The interface style and collaboration with other cloud providers make it similar to OpenOffice editor. All the features are similar, and it depends on oneself to select LibreOffice or OpenOffice.
- The format is different from other word documents, but it supports any document import into the editor, making it easy to work for anyone with other word processors. While all the features are not supported here, we will face some challenges while looking into the document, but we can make changes easily.
- We have a strong community for LibreOffice editor, making it strong in the interface and backend coding. This helps the processor improve from users’ inputs and makes it more useful for beginners without any licenses required. This is as safe to use as any other word processor due to its lightweight and community support. It’s not possible to hide any hacking codes in the application as the application is continuously monitored, and the community adds features.
4. WPS Office Editor
- In WPS Editor, we have all the features of Microsoft Word with the cloud support, but we don’t have an online collaboration like Google Docs. Freely offered, this is preferred by many who miss Microsoft Word for its numerous features. WPS oIn addition offers a premium license with a price of $120 for a lifetime.
- If we don’t like to pay the price for Word Processor, we can use it for free but with 10 seconds advertisement in between when we try to use any feature like importing the document into the application. On the other hand, the premium edition does not have advertisements making it easy for editors to work with the WPS office.
- We can use WPS office even on mobile phones to proofread and edit the documents, and this ability is not present in most word processors.
If one would still prefer Microsoft Word, the online version is available with limited features of Microsoft Word. We can edit it online and save it into a Microsoft Cloud platform called OneDrive, making it easy to work locally when needed. We can download it and work in preinstalled Microsoft word in the system so that we will not face any formatting issues as with other Word processors. All the above Word processors work in Windows with ease and comfort to the user with any storage options as per the requirement of the user. Microsoft Word is not the last answer for Word Processor in Windows. We can write or edit a document and make it look visually pleasing to anyone with all the present alternatives.
This is a guide to Word Processors for Windows. Here we discuss the introduction and various word processors, respectively. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –