Updated April 13, 2023
Introduction to Webpack
What is Webpack?
There are some important concepts that are related that need to understand before using the tool. Some of them are mentioned below:
For the webpack module, the entry point is a module so that the webpack can start to build the internal type dependency graph. All the entry points and modules are included in the dependency graph so that no module is left in the dependency graph that is not included. The default entry point is ./src/index.js. A separate module can be also specified in webpack configuration files.
It is another type of property that guides the location where bundles will be stored and what names need to be given to the files. By default, the value set is ./dist/main.js for the main bundle, and for generated files, the./dist is given as the default value. The other files can be image files or any other file. The value can be specified in the configuration file as per user requirements.
The plugins are the alternative to loaders as they are more powerful than loader and perform several functions that loader can’t perform. The plugins can be used to manage the asset, minimization of the bundle, and optimize the bundles so that it can be used in a better way.
There are two categories of source code – one is for [production purpose and one is for development purpose. The module is used to change the mode to production, development or some other mode. The built-in options are there in the webpack. By default, the mode value set is to production.
How to Use Webpack?
- User needs to create a directory, initialization of npm, and then installation of webpack in the local system. And then webpack-cli need to be installed.
- After installation, the next step is to create the bundles. In this step, the source code and distribution code need to be segregated.
- After that module can be created using the web browsers. Using webpack old browsers can also be used.
- The next thing is to configure the webpack. There is one configuration file given that the user need to configure.
- The npm scripts are created to test the webpack copy using the webpack CLI.
- After creating the scripts, the scripts are run to get the output. The output can be displayed in webpack-CLI that helps to save efforts and cost.
Importance of Webpack
There are several important factor related. Some of them are mentioned below:
2. Load Speed
When any single script is loaded in the webpage it takes a lot of effort and also a costlier method. It helps in reducing the costing as all the modules can be bundle up into one single module. The webserver can easily fetch one single module compare to fetch all modules one by one.
3. Load Important Scripts Only
4. Dependency Issues
The dependency issues are eliminated while using this application. The libraries and scripts in such a manner that dependency among them can be reduced.
5. Development Can Be Done Fast
This is a guide to What is Webpack?. Here we also discuss the introduction and how to use webpack? along with importance with an explanation. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –