Introduction to Swift
In this section, we will discuss all the dependencies that our readers must know to understand Swift in a better way. Let’s discuss some key definitions –
- General Purpose – It means no constraints (limited to one specific domain) to the language and also which is acceptable to a wide variety of application domains.
- Multi-paradigm – It is a way to describe languages based on their complexity level. We say Visual Basic is not that complex to handle complex application features as Java or.Net.
- Compiled – Swift target the compilers and not the interpreters.
- Programming language – Like humans, even machines understand certain languages, so PL means a language understood by machines.
What is Swift?
Swift is a programming language suitable for iOS, MacOS, Linux, z/OS platforms capable of handling a multi-paradigm approach and also the one suitable to a wide variety of domains.
Designed by – Apple Inc. The first release in 2004. Stable release in 2019
It is designed to suit most of your development need, either it is a mobile application, desktop or even cloud. It gives an easier approach for the developers in achieving their business goals and benefits for the organizations. Let’s see how –
- Safe – The best way to Code is safety. Safety can have multiple implications for the customers and safety for the development team (means the error must be rectified sooner than the later stage of production). This ultimately gives clarity in its working approach.
- Fast – It is said that Swift is a replacement for certain languages like C, C++, and Objective C. Swift aims to be faster in approach without compromising on consistency and predictability.
- Expressive – Backed by a decade of advancement, Swift offers its users and joy of using it with modern enhancements.
How does Swift work so easy?
It is a complex structure in all if you see. In certain manners, it shows similarities to Haskell, Scala, OCalm in so many ways. Swift as a PL has different levels associated with it. Let us see these differences in levels –
- Initially, a novice can start by just bindings IB outlets and IBActions in quick time.
- Now you have to get deeper into Queue understanding, grand dispatch functionality. When you try to code using Swift, you have to refresh the UI once you receive asynchronous responses from the frameworks. The scenarios become more complex as the Apple libraries are humongous; a user will take sufficient to get a better understanding of these libraries and their usability.
- Taking the complexity level even higher, we would like to say to our readers is that you must have a good understanding of OOPS patterns; if not, most of the apple documentation will look like a mystery to you. All you need to have an understanding of is what we are saying.
These are tuff to handle for any newbie who struggles with basic data flows and data types understanding.
What can you do with Swift?
It is not a functional programing language rather a compiled language. It can do all the development work related to iOS and MacOS systems. But there are some crucial things to note about the behavior of Swift.
- It provided Tuple with multiple return values.
- Gives faster and concise iteration capabilities helpful to work over a range of collection.
- Some special keywords are helpful, like do, guard, defer and repeat.
Advantages of Swift
Below are the advantages:
- It is a premier language preferred to build iOS applications
- Swift developers are huge in demand, and this is an everlasting criterion
- It has a Rapid development process
- Easier to scale the teams’ productivity using Swift
- Since we know how secure Apple products are, the reasons behind them are languages like Swift and Objective C.
- Automatic memory management capability.
- It has huge community support.
You need to be a programming freak, someone who loves coding. Let us see some relevant skills needed to excel as a Swift programmer.
- We suggest our readers practice basic syntax, control flows, and error handling techniques before they plan to make their career in Swift.
- One must be comfortable thinking and having 3D; this behavior will help make relations between objects. Consider you are creating an application for iPhone, Apple Watch or Apple TV; you must visualize the future application interaction.
- Have a good practice over design guidelines
- A good understanding of Networking
- Git and GitHub understanding is a must to have
Apple’s Tim Cook referred to Swift as ‘the next big PL’. They claim it as a developer-friendly language. It is easy to maintain Xcode (IDE) in swift. Also, being it’s a free and open-source language has given a major benefit to it. Now lets us see the scope of this language in terms of career and salary –
Average iOS developer salary – 3.9lack INR
US Stats says that the iOS developer salary is $123,067 per year, whereas the average Swift developer salary is from $108,145 to $123,067 per year.
Why do we need Swift?
- First thing first, it’s a compiled programming language
- Since Apple creates it, one of the most influential tech giants and also Swift is dominating the world market with its great functionalities.
- Open source is also one unmatched advantage in favor of Swift; it has a lot of supportive community and third-party tools in abundance.
- It’s safe and fast. Swift is 2.6x times faster than Objective C and 8.4x times faster than Python.
- It is in demand. Refer to the TIOBE index for 2019.
Who is the right audience for learning Swift?
Someone who loves iOS, Mac OS platform, and also one who feels this is the right platform are the perfect individuals to go for it. Since we have portrait all the industry details from technology to salary and feel that the details are sufficient for the newcomers to think wisely before they make any career move.
This language is somewhat new to the market with only a decade of presence, but its impacts on the world market are well known. It already has some prominent and great success stories so far. Companies like LinkedIn, Coursera, Pandora, Vimeo, and Twitter have preferred to use Swift.
With these details, we feel that Swift is going to stay long, and its adoption will continue to grow more.
This has been a guide to What is Swift. Here we discuss the advantages, skills, advantages and working of the Swift with the help of examples. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –