Updated May 26, 2023
Uttarakhand, a Himalayan state in northern India, is well-known for its Hindu pilgrimage sites. Rishikesh is a major yoga study center. The evening Ganga Aarti is a spiritual gathering on the sacred Ganges River. Uttarakhand is also known as Devbhomi because it is home to many temples dedicated to Hindu gods and goddesses. Uttarakhand has two sections: the Garhwal division and the Kumaon division.
Top 5 Tourist Places in Uttarakhand
Rishikesh, also known as Hrishikesh, is a city in the Dehradun district of Uttarakhand, India. It is a Hindu pilgrimage town on the right bank of the Ganges River. Along the river’s banks, there are numerous temples and ashrams. Hindus consider this lively city sacred. Rishikesh is an exotic destination in Uttarakhand. Mountain biking, River rafting, bungee jumping, and other thrilling activities are available in Rishikesh.
Things to Do: River Rafting, Bungee Jumping, Trekking, Shopping & Visit Temples.
How to Reach:
- By Air: Jolly Grant airport is the nearest airport.
- By Train: Haridwar Railway Station is well connected to other major cities of the country.
- By Road: Rishikesh is well connected to all the major cities and towns.
Places to Visit: Lakshman Jhula, Ganga Aarti, Neelkanth Mahadev Temple, Triveni Ghat.
Best Time to Visit: October-February.
- Yoga Capital of the world.
- No Alcohol and non-vegetarian food allowed.
- First bungee jumping destination.
Auli is a lovely tourist destination in India for a relaxing vacation. It is also the best ski place in the country. You can visit Auli at any time of the year. It is an ideal destination for both family and solo vacations. One should explore many famous tourist places in Auli on their trip. Auli is a picturesque place that is snowy in winter and moderately cold in summer. Auli’s tourist attractions will captivate your attention. Sacred temples, artificial lakes, and trekking trails make for an exciting stay in town.
Things to Do: Trekking, Camping, Skiing, Ropeway Ride.
How to Reach:
- By Air: 286 km away, the nearest Airport to Auli is Jolly Grant Airport.
- By Train: 264 km away, the nearest Railway Station to Auli is Rishikesh Railway Station.
- By Road: Auli is well connected with Uttarakhand States.
Places To Visit: Auli Ropeway, Auli Artificial Lake, Joshimath, Narsingh Temple.
Best Time to Visit: November- March.
- Auli is well-known for its skiing.
- It is one of the best places to ski in India, attracting skiers from all over the country.
Mussoorie gets its name from the “Mansoor” plants that grow in abundance throughout the hill station. Mussoorie is a picturesque natural beauty with snowy ranges, green valleys, and the majestic Doon Valley. Mussoorie, located 35 kilometers from Dehradun, the state capital of Uttarakhand, also known by the Queen of Hills and is a popular tourist destination for both domestic and international visitors.
Things to Do: Trekking, Rock Climbing, Rafting, Boating, Paragliding, House Riding, Photography.
How to Reach:
- By Air: 60 km away Jolly Grant Airport is the nearest Airport to Mussoorie.
- By Train: 36 km away, the nearest Railway Station to Mussoorie is Dehradun Railway Station.
- By Road: Uttarakhand States connects Mussoorie very well by road.
Places to Visit: Camel’s Back Road, The Mall, Kempty Falls, Lal Tibba.
Best Time to Visit: March-June.
- Mussoorie was a favorite vacation spot for the Nehru family.
- During the British era, dogs and Indians were not permitted in Mussoorie.
- Mussoorie is the Dalai Lama’s first home in India.
Nainital is a lovely hill station named after the Naini Lake located in the Nainital District of the Kumaon region of Uttarakhand, India. Nainital is in a valley with a pear-shaped lake surrounded by mountains. Naina peak, Deopatha peak, and Ayarpatta peak are among the highest peaks in these mountains. Nainital is a well-known tourist destination known for its prestigious educational institutions and schools that date back to the British era.
Things to Do: Boating, Sightseeing, Shopping, Photography.
How to Reach:
- By Air: 72 km away, the nearest Airport to Nainital is PantNagar Airport.
- By Train: 41 km away, the nearest railway station to Nainital is Kathgodam Railway Station.
- By Road: Nainital interconnected with NH87.
Places to Visit: Naini Lake, Naina Devi Temple, Raj Bhawan, ARIES.
Best Time to Visit: March- June.
- Summer Capital of the United Provinces in the British Rule.
- Lake District of India- The Town has 7 freshwater lakes.
Kedarnath is a town and Nagar Panchayat in Uttarakhand’s Rudraprayag district, best known for the Kedarnath Temple. Kedarnath Dham is an integral part of the Char Dham Yatra, including visits to Badrinath, Gangotri, and Yamunotri. Kedarnath temple is a sacred pilgrimage site in Northern India, situated on the Mandakini river’s bank at an elevation of 3584 meters above sea level. This region was historically known as “Kedar Khand.”
Things to Do: Shopping & NightLife in Kedarnath.
How to Reach:
- By Air: 238 km away, Jolly Grant Airport is the nearest Airport to Kedarnath.
- By Train: 221 km away, Rishikesh Railway Station is the nearest railway station to Kedarnath.
- By Road: Kedarnath is well connected with Dehradun and Haridwar bus.
Places to Visit: Kedarnath Temple, Bhairavnath Temple, Gaurikund, Sonprayag, Rudra Meditation Cave.
Best Time to Visit: September to October, May to June.
- Bhairavnath Temple is the guardian of Kedarnath.
- Kedarnath is a blessing to the Himalayas and the people who visit.
Conclusion – Tourist Places in Uttarakhand
The above-listed Tourist Places in Uttarakhand are the best places to visit. One would always appreciate its picturesque view and holy places.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Tourist Places in Uttarakhand” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information,