Introduction to sql_plus
SQL plus is an oracle database utility that possesses a basic command-line interface that helps developers or programmers to perform a minimum of the query and other transactional activities streamlined way. The advantage of using this utility with the graphical user interface is the added privilege that it provides to end-users with respect to the SQL database to perform basic operations easily for any database-related activities to perform. After Database 11g version of Oracle, both web-based SQL_plus with GUI in integrated form is deprecated. It only supports essentially for all administrative and non-scripting languages.
What is sql_plus?
SQL plus is a utility supported by Oracle database for performing some query, including a command-line interface for manipulation and execution. It understands particular specific patterns of categories when it comes to understand and feed specific category of text. Scripts can include varied components related to it. It is not only restricted to query for specific commands like SQL only, but it too includes PL/SQL blocks for parsing and managing.
There are certain categories that SQL_Plus follows in terms of SQL blocks or text, which are as follows:
- SQL Statements
- Certain environmental configurations involving SET and SHOW with control and monitoring features within it.
- PL/SQL blocks
- Certain external commands that need to be prefixed something with ! char
- All the commands interact with it.
SQL Plus commands
There are certain commands which SQL Plus follows :
- ARCHIVE LOG
- WHENEVER OSERROR
- WHENEVER SQLERROR
- @ at sign
- @@ (double at sign)
Use SQL Plus
- SQL Plus has a lot of usage for graphical interfaces related to queries for execution; even certain other third-party plugins can also interact for enhancement.
- Oracle database users don’t rely much on the SQL Plus-related environment because of these third-party plugins, which have covered most topics.
- Oracle has the privilege to use SQL plus scripts for creating simple reports with some of the simplified scripts that need to be updated with every CRON that needs to be manipulated.
- SQL plus has a lot of advancements with the components to specify some which are as follows to include: Oracle SQL Plus worksheet, a component of ORM, a component of SQL plus worksheet for Oracle SQL Developer, Provision of utility which are web-based, Provides Oracle application Express considered as SQL workshop.
- Data can be extracted from the text file that is part of SQL*Plus.
- Queries can be tuned using EXPLAIN PLAN command, which is an added advantage for SQL plus users.
How Can I Learn and Guide?
- There are various sources to learn SQL plus, but the recommendation is to follow genuine sources with authenticity.
- There are certain pre-requisites also before landing into learning of SQL plus, like SQL Plus special keys and their respective keys.
- There might be different functioning and keys when it comes to the Operating system supporting it.
- Original Oracle docs with relevant versions shall be referenced while learning.
- Oreilly and other reputed sites can be considered some of the authentic websites for learning SQL plus.
- Many websites can be referenced for research and other learning activities regarding SQL Plus.
Command – SQL_Plus
There are certain commands which are like a frequent command as part of SQL Plus:
- SQL PLUS [ user_name, pass_word, sysadm] : To Login to database
- HELP [INDEX | topic]: to list out the topic and its essentials.
- STARTUP[Parameters_to_pass] : to start the associated database.
- HOST [ command_as_parameter]: To enlist the host with the required details and to execute the host commands.
- SHOW [ALL, ERRORS]: This command in SQL Plus is mainly used for showing SQL* Plus variables for systems or environment settings with manipulation.
- CONNECT[Parameters]: For connecting to the database once the connection is established.
- SET [ system variables or environmental variable]: This command is mainly used to manipulate the system or environmental variable, which is passed as a parameter for manipulation.
- EDIT: This command is used mainly for editing the contents of SQL buffer or the file used for manipulation.
- SAVE: This command is used for saving the contents of the entire SQL buffer to a specific file.
- APPEND: This command is used for appending the text to the end of the current line in SQL buffer.
Windows GUI – SQL Plus
- SQL Plus supports the Windows GUI where the GUI tools are installed to name some include TOAD and SQL developer, which most often takes SQL Plus with some of the good old comments.
- There are certain packages with licenses using which SQL Plus Client can be downloaded and includes functions for modifying the GUI that can be used in various ways for performing actions.
- Download and extract any of the SQL plus clients to specify one SQL* Plus 12.0.xx once done, the development related to GUI can be performed, followed by some other processes as well.
- All the Windows GUI development will then be mapped to an oracle database that is supported for all the CLI-based queries to be executed.
SQL Plus utility provided by Oracle provides developers with the ability to execute various commands that complete the requirement. It has evolved like anything in the coming years, with integration to other databases from specific versions that have added a lot of advantages.
This is a guide to sql_plus. Here we discuss the certain categories that SQL Plus follows in terms of SQL blocks along with the command. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –