Introduction to spring boot rest
Spring boot rest application follows the architectural approach of rest; we are using spring boot rest to develop the network application. Spring boot rest will generate the HTTP request; this http request is performing the database CRUD operation on data; usually, Rest returns data in XML or JSON format. Spring boot rest is known as representational state transfer; the main use of rest is to make the web services are more useful and effective. Rest services is trying to define the services which were already present in HTTP.
What is spring boot rest?
- Spring boot rest API is the intermediary programming interface of applications that enabled us to communicate two applications with each other.
- Spring boot rest is a more common approach to build web services because using rest to develop web services is too easy.
- Using spring boot rest, it is possible to develop the backward-compatible API; if suppose we have developed API in java version 14, by using spring boot rest, we can run this API in java 13.
- Web services are conforming the architectural style, which was called rest web services.
- Rest services is allowing for the requesting system to manipulate and access the web resource’s textual representation by using the predefined and uniform set of operations.
- Using spring boot rest, we can implement a widely used and scalable application. We can use the rest service with spring boot to develop the scalable application.
- To create the project using spring boot rest, first, we need to add the dependency in our project code.
Rest services with spring
- Rest in spring is quickly become the standard of de facto, which was used to develop web services on the internet or web because spring rest web services are easy to build and consume.
- To develop rest services with spring is very easy using step by step; we can create rest services with spring. To develop rest services is very easy we can implement rest services in spring from version 3.0 and later.
- Below are the characteristics of rest services with spring are as follows.
- The first and most important characteristic of rest services in spring is stateless.
- Using rest services with spring, we can apply caching on resources whenever applicable.
- Using rest services with spring, we can develop a uniform interface of API.
- We can involve client application and server application separately by using the rest services with spring.
- Rest services with spring is allowing us to use the architecture of the layered system.
- We have developed the rest services with spring using XML and JSON. JSON is a very popular format to develop rest services by using spring.
- Key abstraction is the resource which was we have used in spring web services. We can use any resource to develop API using rest services with spring.
- Rest services with spring is accessed by using a uniform resource identifier.
Getting Started spring boot rest
- We can implement the project using a spring initializer and add the following dependencies as we get started with the rest.
- After selecting all the dependencies, we need to generate the project. After generating the project in a zip file, we need to unzip it and need to open it using the spring tool suite.
- We can use any IDE tool like spring tool suite, Net beans, and eclipse to open a project.
- We need the following software to develop applications using the spring tool suite are as follows.
- JDK 1.8 or later
- Maven 3.2 +
- Spring boot 2.4 or later
- Spring tool suite or Eclipse
- To develop the application using the spring boot test, we need to use spring boot and develop a project using maven.
Restful web service annotations
- Below is the annotation of restful web services is as follows.
- Get annotation method will identify the URI path. PathParam annotation represents the URI path.
- Get, put, head, delete, options, and the post will respond to the specified request. Consumes annotation will be defining the media type.
Below example code shows the example of rest is as follows.
- Create project template using spring initializer –
Group – com.example
Artifact name – spring-boot-rest
Name – spring-boot- rest
Description - Project of spring-boot- rest
Package name - com.example.spring-boot- rest
Packaging – Jar
Java – 11
Dependencies – spring web.
- After generating project extract files and open this project by using spring tool suite –
- After opening the project using the spring tool suite, check the project and its files –
- Add the dependency
<dependency> -- Start of dependency tag.
<groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId> -- Start and end of groupId tag.
<artifactId>spring-boot-starter-web</artifactId> -- Start and end of artifactId tag.
</dependency> -- End of dependency tag.
- Create model class
public class Product
private int product_id;
public Product(int product_id)
this.product_id = product_id;
public int getId ()
public void setId (int product_id)
this.product_id = product_id;
- Create controller
public class ProductController
private IProductService productService;
@GetMapping(value = "/product")
public List<Product> getProduct ()
List<Product> products = productService.findAll ();
- Create interface
public interface IProductService
- Create service class
public class ProductService implements IProductService
public List<Product> findAll()
ArrayList<Product> products = new ArrayList<Product>();
products.add (new Product(100));
products.add (new Product(101));
products.add (new Product(102));
- Create HTML file
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
- Run the application –
- Check output on browser –
Rest is nothing but the web-based architectural style which was used to develop the network-based applications. Rest defines that how our application is communicating on the internet. For example, in the rest-client application is requested to the server after a request by the client.
This is a guide to spring boot rest. Here we discuss how our application is communicating on the internet along with the codes. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –