Introduction to Span Tag in HTML
Span tag in HTML is considered as an inline element. It is similar to the div tag, but the div tag is purposely used for block-level elements, whereas the span is used for inline elements. It’s mainly used whenever a user wants to do a grouping of the inline elements into their code structure. Span tag in HTML is used to give style to particular contents by using elements class or id attribute. It’s not possible to do visual change by itself using the span tag in the HTML document. It works as an inline tag in the HTML document. Using the span tags in your code helps to reduce code and HTML attributes.
Syntax with Example
The syntax for defining a span tag is as follows:
<span class=””> Contents </span>
- As shown above syntax text enclosed within opening <span> and closing tag </span> is considered as span attribute.
- This is mainly used to group of inline elements. It helps to minimalize our code in an HTML document.
- It works similarly to the div tag, but a major difference is div is worked as a block-level element, whereas span tag works as an inline tag in HTML.
- The span tag is not able to provide visual change on its own.
- It works on tag like <i>, <b>, <u>, <color>, <font family>, <background-color> and many more.
- This tag is not able to create a line break, but it gives a chance to the user to make things separate from other elements. So it’s possible to do changes with only on selected text rather than doing change with all over code.
- It only takes as much as width required, rather than occupying the whole available width in the container. The best example of a span tag is attribute and image. It uses containers for some text showing the use of span tags.
- It doesn’t require some specific attributes in the coding; with the help of some common CSS and classes, we can define a span tag.
- We can highlight some specific text, apply a background color to the text, and add a background image to the text using the span tag of HTML.
- It’s also possible to change the font of the text using the span tag. It will help responsible for changing font size, color, background color, font style, etc.
<title>Span tag in HTML </title>
<p><span class="demo">О</span>Pride make us artificial and Humility make us real.</p>
<p>True fact about life </p>
- Span tag doesn’t have any specific attribute; like other tags, it also supports global attributes and event attributes.
Properties of Span Tag in HTML
Here are some properties to apply styling with <span>. Those are as follows:
- CSS font-style: It is used to apply styling to the given text. The text should be normal, italic, initial, inherit, etc.
- CSS font-family: It is used to apply different font types from a given list to specific text.
- CSS font-size: It’s helpful to set the font size to the text.
- CSS font-weight: This property used to set font which will be either bold or thick.
- CSS text-transform: It will make text capitalization.
- CSS text-decoration: This property used to decorate text in the form of text-decoration line, text-decoration color, etc.
- CSS color: This property of the span tag used to color the text content and text decorations.
- CSS background-color: This is a useful property to set the background color to the element.
- CSS text-shadow: This property allows the user to add shadow to the text.
- CSS text-align-last: It will help to do the alignment of the text.
- CSS word-spacing: This property in the span tag used to manage spacing in between words.
- CSS white-space: This property helps us to handle white spaces inside the specified element.
- CSS line-height: It provides the height of the line in HTML code.
- CSS word-break: This property helps us to define where the actual line should be broken.
- CSS text-overflow: This is the most useful property of span tag, which helps us to identify overflowed contents that are not displayed that should signal to the user.
Examples of Span Tag in HTML
An example of the span tag in html is given below:
<title>HTML Span Tag</title>
background:url(./Content/data/2.jpg) no-repeat top left;
<!-- span tags with inline style/css -->
<h2>Span tag with text color</h2>
Do those things which makes your soul happy </span>
<h2> Span tag with background color</h2>
Everybody have natural beauty. Try look at your picture when you are a baby. Your eyes, eyebrows, lips, body. When you are smiling, crying, staring, etc. That it, you got it.</span>
<h2> Span tag with background image</h2>
<span class="imgdemo" style="color: azure; font-size: 16px; font-display: block;">
Image as background</span>
<title>HTML Span Tag</title>
<h2> Span tag Examples</h2>
<p>Good, Better, Best Never let it rest.
<span style="color:crimson;"> "Till your good is better and your better is best" </span></p>
<p>Everyday you have a choice -<span style="font-family: cursive; font-weight: 200; font- size: 18px;">
STAY THE SAME OR CHANGE </span>
<p>Whenever you see a successful person you only see the public glories, never the private sacrifices to reach them."<span style="background-color: aqua ; color:darkblue;">
"Opportunities don't happen, you create them" </span></p>
background:url(./Content/data/3.jpg) no-repeat top left;
<h2> Span tag for image</h2> <br>
<span class="spandemo" style="color: aliceblue; font-weight: bold;">
<p> Nature always wears<br> Color of SPIRIT. </p> <br>
Heaven is under our feet <br>as well as over our heads <br>
<p> Deep in their roots,<br>all flowers Keep the light </p>
<p> My soul steers me<br> into nature's silence</p>
From all the above information, we came to know that the <span> tag in HTML is used to give styling to inline elements. One can group this styling attribute and specifies them inline. Span tag mainly used to arrange structural sections and proper layout sections on our webpage with the help of inline CSS.
This is a guide to Span Tag in HTML. Here we discuss the basic concept, properties of span tag, and different examples and its code implementation. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –