Updated April 17, 2023
Introduction to SharePoint Version
Basically, SharePoint is proving the web bases collective platform. The same platform will help to integrate with Microsoft Office. In 2001, SharePoint was launched. At the initial state, the SharePoint was sold in terms of the storage system and document management. After that, the SharePoint will configure in a very precise manager. It is very widely and efficiently use in different organizations. As per the report, Microsoft said that there are 190 million users available who are using the SharePoint web bases collective platform. There are 200000 customers who are associated with the same SharePoint platform. The latest is 2020. It comes on both the platform like on-premise as well as the cloud. It has come up with a new feature, security update, bug fixes. Hence it is highly recommended that we need to use the latest or updated version of SharePoint.
We have checked the SharePoint is basically use for content management. It is providing a web-based platform that will help to integrate with Microsoft Office. SharePoint is widely used in different geographical areas. It is not sticking with the single domain or the use case. We can use SharePoint in different domains and in different use cases also. For example, In the US, one of the biggest pharm domain clients is using SharePoint in terms of content management. It is holding the use amount contained on the SharePoint platform. We can say that the version information is come up with the invention date. Every new version of SharePoint is come up with a new enhancement on top of the older version. It will add the new features when the new version will release. But when we are working with the different SharePoint versions, we need to check the cost of the license also. We need to procure some licenses from Microsoft then only we can work on the SharePoint platform on the enterprise level. In the license term, there are different terms before deploying any production environment or on the enterprise SharePoint deployment, we need to make sure that we are having the correct or compatible SharePoint version. It is having a valid license.
Below are the lists:
A) SharePoint version 2020
- It will support the SharePoint Online feature. It will be able to integrate with Office 365.
- It satisfies the communication compliance processes.
- It is able to add the comparing view option to the O365.
- In MAC OS, it is providing the S/MIME certificate delivery.
- It is providing a good eDiscovery dashboard.
- It is providing the Microsoft App catalog.
B) SharePoint version 2019
- In 2019 version, it is provided with extranet protection for the dangerous IP address for the ADFS.
- It is providing good functionality for Azure cloud i.e. the AIP analytics.
- Here, it is updated the change the look panel view or option.
- It is changed the admin central experience i.e. from the default experience to the new or the modern experience.
- It is also a change in device management. It will also update in the module app.
- It will support the admin center update. This feature will include the call-back schedule feature and the full page ticket history.
- In the Office 365 and Microsoft 365 suites, it is providing the MyAnalytics add-in feature also.
- We are adding a different feature on top of files like such as missing metadata, DLP blocks, check-outs, sharing, etc.
- It is also providing the feature of Sticky column headers. It will help to find the large column headers should be visible when we are scrolling it horizontally or vertically. It will help to search in the large list of libraries.
- It is providing a good experience in terms of news publishing and an Easy page.
- Users are able to get the list of the total as well as subtotal columns at the footer of the group part. Here, there is no need to change the SharePoint classic mode.
C) SharePoint version 2018
- SharePoint 2019 On-Premise
- It will help to keep the SharePoint version 2018 look like SharePoint online.
- It has introduced with the new modern interface
- It has provided a responsive user interface.
- In the SharePoint version 2018, it is without the power to automate hybrid configuration.
- It is improved the team site
- It is provided with the new modern under experience
- It is provided with the good improvement on the communication site
- Good support for the business processes
D) SharePoint version 2017
- The SharePoint version 2017 will support online office 365
- It will support the Microsoft team with the help of an online site.
E) SharePoint version 2016
- It is supporting the on-premise environment configuration.
- In May 2016, Microsoft has released the SharePoint version 2016 with the feature pack 2 supports.
- In the SharePoint version 2016, it supports the modern interface in one drive only.
- In the SharePoint online site, it is also supporting to the Office 365 Groups.
- In the SharePoint version 2016, the max file storage was increase to 10 GB. Previously, it was 2 GB.
- It has introduced the MinRioles concept.
- It has improved the patching functionality. While doing patching there is no downtime required.
- In the SharePoint version 2016, the content DB size was increase to 1TB. Previously, it was 200 GB.
- It helps for faster site creation with the help of user interphase and the PowerShell command.
We have seen the uncut concept of the “SharePoint version” with the proper explanation. We have suggested using the newest version of SharePoint because it has come with lots of bug fixes. It is majorly useful for content management.
This is a guide to SharePoint Version. Here we discuss the Introduction, Lists of SharePoint version respectively. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –