Introduction to Set IP Address in Linux
The Linux is a code that transmits the system commands., Compilers, Editors, linkers, and command-line interpreters are important and useful but they are not part of the operating system. An IP address is a path or identification for the user and the service provider. When using the internet, the website we want to load looks for our IP our Internet provider’s IP which is called a private IP address, and the information available from a website is called a private IP address.
A public IP address is a Wi-Fi system that provides internet and the mobile devices that connects to the same public IP will have their own private IP address. We can look briefly into the commands and techniques that are used to identify and set an IP address into a Linux system.
How to Set IP Address in Linux with Syntax?
Ip address is a unique digit or computer-based address that would identify a specific system in order to establish a connection.
- The Internet protocol address is used to establish the connection between the systems. The IP addresses are a unique feature to identify a particular system in order to identify and connect to a given system through a common network interface. So, the knowledge of the IP address of our system the one we are currently using is important to make a connection over other systems or the Internet.
- When we are using a Linux system for working purposes eventually, we need to learn to set up our own network by setting up our own IP address to secure our system. Especially for Linux Network Administrators in a commercial environment, we should have to configure own IP address. Linux system IP can be determined by using basic ip and ifconfig commands. The ifconfig, when executed, would display the information regarding the system currently turned on networks that have been connected with the system.
- The ip commands have an advantage over the ipconfig commands since it ip command is powerful since it has backed up many more facilities and functionalities linked to it.
IP command can perform multiple tasks such as network address assignment and parameters of network interface configuration.
The ip commands accommodate various facilities such as IP tunnel setup, modifying and configuring the routing of static and default ip, it can be used to list up IP property information and addresses, it can be used to configure or alter the interface status, it can delete, assign and it can set up routes and addresses.
Setting an IP address in Linux is very easy and we’ll look at certain commands to perform the action of setting an IP.
1. The If Configuration is used to manually set out the IP address
ifconfig etho 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
2. Setting our Gateway as default
route add default gw 192.168.1.1
3. We can set our DNS server by the following command
echo "nameserver 18.104.22.168" >/resolv.conf
If we are using a prior version Linux we can use our device to connect to the Internet and we have all our gateway and address fixed and we got out manually set IP address.
The public IP address of the server can be determined by sending a request to the HTTP servers on the Internet. By default, when a Linux system has interacted through the internet directly both the private and public IP addresses would remain the same. The ip commands have an advantage over the ipconfig commands since it ip command is powerful since it has backed up many more facilities and functionalities. The ip commands accommodate various facilities such as IP tunnel setup, modifying and configuring the routing of static and default ip, it can be used to list up IP property information and addresses, it can be used to configure or alter the interface status, it can delete, assign and it can set up routes and addresses.
Linux is an effectively operating system that has many advantages. It provides an interface to various tasks it is an open and free source without any cost and its comparatively secured over other operating systems. Linux can handle large volumes of data and it is used to deploy applications in the cloud environment.
We saw how to set our IP manually for both old versions using IF configuration and also in the new system using if and net plan configuration. Configuring IP address is an important skill for any network administrator. Once the IP address is set and we identify the IP address we can connect to any number of systems that have been connected through a common or one single network.
This is a guide to Set IP Address in Linux. Here we discuss how to set Set IP Address in Linux with appropriate syntax in detail. You can also go through our other related articles to learn more –