Difference Between PostgreSQL vs MariaDB
PostgreSQL is defined as a type of database system which is categorized into an object-relational type database system that is available as an open-source database system designed for the UNIX based system, Solaris, Mac OS, Windows, and other operating systems to store the data in the PostgreSQL database. MariaDB is another open-source database server available in the market that acts as SQL interface so that data can be easily accessible and used in various sectors like banking and other sectors where data management is a crucial step.
Head to Head Comparison between PostgreSQL vs MariaDB (Infographics)
Below are the top 9 differences between PostgreSQL vs MariaDB:
Key Differences between PostgreSQL vs MariaDB
Following are the key differences of PostgreSQL vs MariaDB:
- The one of the major differences between the MariaDB and PostgreSQL system is the performance. Both the system like PostgreSQL and MariaDB system are high performance system that can be used in enterprises for the data management. When a comparison is made between two system the PostgreSQL system show better performance in the factor of turnaround time compared to MariaDB system. The read and write operations in the PostgreSQL is much faster compared to MariaDB system and also access of the data also matters while choosing the system for the business organization.
- The other difference between two database system is the features. The PostgreSQL system offers Partial indexes, Materialized views that helps to increase the performance of the database. On the other hand, in the MariaDB system, there is no such feature supported that can help to boost the performance of the database. In the MariaDB system, the architecture used is master-slave replication and master-master replication. On other hands, in the PostgreSQL the architecture used is master-slave replication only.
- The other major difference between PostgreSQL and MariaDB system is size and partitioning. When the MariaDB system is compared to the PostgreSQL system the size is smaller for the MariaDB system as per the OS versions. The memory allocation is short in the MariaDB system and also the MariaDB database is lighter compared to the PostgreSQL database system. When MariaDB system and PostgreSQL is compared on basis of partitioning the MariaDB uses various partitioning techniques whereas in PostgreSQL there is no support for the partitioning.
- The other major difference between the PostgreSQL system and the MariaDB system use database use. The PostgreSQL database system is used by large-scale organization and can be used in different sectors like Finance, Education, Commerce, Technology, Media, and many more large-scale projects. The organizations that use the MariaDB database are Alibaba, Google, Facebook, Wikipedia, and many large-scale organizations.
- The other major difference between PostgreSQL and MariaDB system is the deployment of database. The PostgreSQL database system is written in C programming language and supports multiple programming language like C, C++, Java, Python, and Perl. The PostgreSQL system is available in different binary formats and source code is also available that can be downloaded from the official website. The MariaDB system is written in C and C++ programming language that supports multiple programming language like C, C#, Erlang, Java, Python, PHP, Perl, and many more programming language. The MariaDB database system is also available in different binary formats and source code is also available. Both the database system supports multiple operating system like Windows, Solaris, Linux, Mac OS, and many more operating system.
- The other key difference between both the system is consistency concepts. The PostgreSQL system and MariaDB system supports consistency feature that helps to write the data and read the data very fast and this feature increase the popularity of both the system that can be used by large scale organizations.
- Both the database system supports transaction concepts. The MariaDB system and PostgreSQL system ACID includes atomicity, consistency, integrity, and durability. This feature helps the user to maintain huge chunks of data and manage the data properly.
PostgreSQL vs MariaDB Comparison Table
Let us discuss the top comparison between PostgreSQL vs MariaDB:
|Description||The MariaDB is defined as MySQL application that is an open-source RDBMS system that has the high-performance capability, security, and high availability.||PostgreSQL is defined as an open-source relational database management system used for storing the data.|
|Initial release||The first release of the MariaDB was in the year 2009.||The first release of the PostgreSQL was in the year 1989.|
|Implementation of language||The implementation language used for developing the MariaDB are C and C++ programming language.||The implementation language used for developing the PostgreSQL is the C programming language.
|Server Operating System||The server operating system supported by the MariaDB are Solaris, Windows, FreeBSD, and Linux.||The server operating system supported by the PostgreSQL are Solaris, Windows, FreeBSD and Linux, NetBSD, Unix, OpenBSD, and many more.|
|Server-side scripts||In the MariaDB system, the server-side scripts are defined that can be used during data storage.||In the PostgreSQL system, the user can define the functions as per requirement whereas this feature is not supported in the MariaDB system.|
|Partitioning methods||The partitioning methods used in the MariaDB system are horizontal partitioning, Galera cluster, and sharding with the spider storage engine.||The partitioning methods used in the PostgreSQL system are partitioning by list, hash, and range.|
|In-memory capabilities||The MariaDB system supports in-memory capabilities. The MariaDB system is also lighter compared to the PostgreSQL system.||In the PostgreSQL system, the in-memory capabilities are not supported by the system.|
|JSON support||The MariaDB system does not support the JSON support and rather than it uses a LONGTEXT column that works similar to JSON.||The PostgreSQL system supports JSON support and also supports JSONB support.|
|Application||The MariaDB system is used in building the database and to support web applications, e-commerce platforms, and also multimedia sites.||The PostgreSQL system is used in building a large system and all the data related operations like read and write operations can be executed in a fast manner. It is mostly used large-scale applications due to the complexity of the system.|
The MariaDB and PostgreSQL is a type of relational database system that is available as an open-source that can be used by the individual groups and large-scale organizations for the management of data. Both the system provides stability, reliability, maintenance, and easy deployment. The selection of the right system is completely dependent on user requirements and the organization’s requirements.
This is a guide to PostgreSQL vs MariaDB. Here we also discuss the PostgreSQL vs MariaDB key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –