Definition of Nginx WAF
Nginx waf is nothing but the web application firewall which was used to protect the application against the 7 attacks of the sophisticated layer. If suppose this attack occurs, then we might lose the sensitive data to attackers. Nginx waf will protect the application by filtering and monitoring the traffic. It will be looking for attack types that were common such as cross-site scripting, SQL injections, and other types of intrusion.
What is Nginx WAF?
waf is the shield sitting right in front of the web server for keeping out from the attacks which were harmful. The dev-ops team will need to integrate the control of security across the distributed environment without releasing the velocity of the performance. waf will protect our app from the app security which was modern which was work seamlessly in an environment of dev ops. The nginx waf is helping us to deliver secure code apps to customers. Nginx waf will protect the app from the attacker. waf will seamlessly integrate our control of strong security.
Nginx WAF Models
By using waf models we can get the security by using attack vectors and signatures. The high performance of the app and the control of security is compiled with byte code. It will leverage the control of security which was directed from the waf. It is deploying in a mode of blocking which is confident in signature detection is trusted. waf will avoid the negative impacts on revenue and the repetition.
waf models are in alignment with the app architecture which was modern. The waf contains the secure API and apps whenever we have deployed the same in our application.
waf models are used to protect against the 7-layer attacks. We can install nginx waf models by using the apt-get command. The waf models are available in the module security package. Below are the steps to install nginx waf model in the ubuntu system as follows.
- In the first step, we are updating the package of ubuntu repositories. We are updating and cleaning the package by using the following commands are as follows.
sudo apt-get clean ; sudo apt-get update
2. After updating and cleaning the package repository now we are installing nginx plus module modsecurity package by using the apt-get command as follows.
apt-get install nginx-plus-module-modsecurity
3. After installing the nginx module now in this step we are adding the following lines into the config file of nginx are as follows.
vi /etc/nginx/nginx.conf load_module modules/ngx_http_modsecurity_module.so;
4. After adding the module line into the configuration file now we are checking the module is loaded successfully by using the following commands are as follows.
It is used to reduce the complexity and sprawl of the tool by using integration which was seamless by using the nginx platform. waf model is supporting deployment and modern app technologies.
Nginx ModSecurity WAF
The nginx modsecurity web application firewall is based on the open-source software of modsecurity. The below points show why we are using the modsecurity waf are as follows.
- Battle tested – It is used on multiple websites, we can say that mod security is the trusted name of application security.
- Flexible – The modsecurity waf is the software of open-source which was deployed on any environment like containers and virtual machines.
- Cost-effective – The modsecurity waf is more cost-effective. It will contain the compliance of PCI which was a fraction of the WAFs hardware cost.
The nginx is very important and useful while securing our application from the attacker. Below is the feature of modsecurity waf are as follows.
- Attack protection from 7-layer – mod security will stop and detect the broad range of 7-layer attacks. Cross-site scripting, SQL injection, and the local file include which were accounted for together from the attacks of the 7 layer. Request forgery of cross-site, remote code execution, and remote files include will violate the protocol of HTTP. The other vector of attacks is detected by using modsecurity waf.
- IP reputation – It will automatically block the traffic from the malicious addresses of IP. It will look up the IP addresses in the project from the databases of honey pot in real-time and it will deny the access to the users who were denied listed. It will cache the results from the lookups for up to 24 hours for improving the performance. By using waf we can set up our own honey pot from the IP addresses which was malicious and it will contribute back to the community.
- Audit logging – By using modsecurity waf we will get the detailed logs of visibility and auditing. We will get detailed information of transactions like responses, requests, and other info from which the rule is activated. By using modsecurity waf we are doing remote sys logging for centralized analysis.
The security life cycle contains the four stages i.e. monitor, test, secure, and improve. Before connecting any device to our network we need to make sure that we have documented the infrastructure of the network.
Types of Nginx WAF
Below are the different types of nginx waf available, basically, it contains the four types as follows.
- DevOps (host-based) – F5 is creating the application of modern waf which was working with the nginx, nginx plus, and the ingress controller of other servers.
- Mod Security (host-based) – Basically waf is based on the open-source software of mod security which was widely used. The type of mod security is very important in nginx waf.
- Hardware – The physical product which was installed by our IT department contains the increased cost and the low latency.
- Cloud – The nginx waf cloud type is provided by the third party and it is not preferred in the protection of applications due to access and the lack of controls.
- The nginx modsecurity waf will protect the application against the layer of sophistication. All the types of waf are very important.
The dev-ops team will need to integrate the control of security across the distributed environment without releasing the velocity of the performance. Nginx waf is nothing but the web application firewall which was used to protect the application against the 7 attacks of the sophisticated layer.
This has been a guide to Nginx WAF. Here we discussed the Definition, What is Nginx WAF, Nginx WAF Models, and Types with examples with code implementation. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –