About Neelkanth Mahadev Temple
The Neelkanth Mahadev Temple is a holy and well-known temple located approx.. 30 kilometers from Rishikesh. Neelkanth Mahadev Temple is one of Lord Shiva’s most eminent temples on a hill at 1331 meters. The Neelkanth Temple, located above Swargashram and vicinal to the Nar Narayan mountain range, is a famous pilgrimage site near Rishikesh. This old Shiva temple is worth seeing for its mysterious story and the beautiful views of the mountains and valleys it offers while you’re there.
History of Neelkanth Mahadev Temple
The temple is devoted to Lord Shiva, who considers the most complicated and authoritative god in the Hindu religion. The temple’s structure and setting tell a different story. According to common mythical traditions, Lord Shiva ingested the poison resulting from the ocean’s churning or the ‘Samudra Manthan.’
The temple’s premise is said to be the exact location where this occurrence occurred. The Lord’s throat turned blue after consuming the poison. The temple is called ‘Neelkanth,” which means ‘Blue Throat.’ The main temple contains a Shiva Lingam, and the aura surrounding it is ethereal and subtle.
Neelkanth Mahadev Temple Attractions
- Pooja and Prayers: Pray to Lord Shiva, declared the creator of the universe, and perform devotional Pooja.
- Praise the Architecture: The temple’s exquisite sculptures and sophisticated construction are observable and adored. People frequently come here to treat themselves visually by photographing the temple and its structure.
- Take a Bath: If you wish to unwind and lose yourself in the temple’s celestial aura, dip in the hot springs that naturally occur on the temple grounds.
- Make a Memory for Yourself: You can purchase Shiva idols and accessories for yourself and your loved ones from the booths outside the temple.
General Information about the Temple
- Spot: The prominent location of worship is 32 kilometers from Rishikesh in Uttarakhand’s Pauri Garhwal district. Kotdwar – Pauri Road, Kotdwar, Uttarakhand – 246149 is the complete address for the site.
- Visit Timings: The temple is open from 5.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.
- Price: There is no fee to enter the premises. The Pooja or contribution fees vary depending on what the visitor demands.
How to Get There?
Rishikesh, which is 32 kilometers away from the temple, is the closest accessible location. You may get to the temple from Rishikesh, the quickest route.
- By train: The nearest railway station to the temple is Rishikesh, which is almost 30 kilometers distant. You can use a public bus or a cab to get to the temple.
- By road: The road networks and conditions are excellent, making driving easy and quick. The well-connected roads can utilize to reach Ram Jhula by hiring or renting a car.
- By Plane: If you want to get the closest to the temple by plane, we recommend taking a taxi from Dehradun’s Jolly Grant Airport, which is 49 kilometers away.
3 Best Places to Visit Near the Temple
- Shri Sachcha Akhileshwar Mahadev Temple: Another gorgeous Shiva temple. Tourists flock here to find inner peace and tranquility. You can also do an Abhishek for a small donation.
- Tattva Ayurvedic Centre: The Tattva Ayurvedic Centre is another option for a pleasant massage. The five elements of the body inspire the treatments and therapies at Tattva. The wellness therapies are designed around the five essential ingredients to provide guests with a relaxing experience.
- Tera Manzil Temple: This is a well-known Rishikesh monument near the Laxman Jhula. The temple’s distinctiveness stems from its 13 stories, which house all Hindu Gods according to Hindu texts. Laxman Jhula is visible from the 13th floor, and the views of Rishikesh and the Jhula will take your breath away.
- The most significant time to visit is during the devotees’ festivals in July, August, and Shivratri – Lord Shiva’s night. If you cannot see the temple during this time, we recommend coming between October and March to avoid the rainy season.
- If you want to participate in the rites early in the morning, you must have an empty stomach.
- Because no professional guides are available online, we recommend hiring one from a professional service that provides them.
- It would be best if you also researched before going to the temple. The myths and stories surrounding the temple will help you understand the architecture and carvings inside.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Neelkanth Mahadev Temple” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information,