Updated April 1, 2023
Introduction to Kubernetes Terraform
The Kubernetes terraform is defined as, the terraform is an open-source tool that allows us to provide basic structure with coherent functionality when the terraform can control the basic structure for both public and private cloud services in which it helps to interconnect between different resources of the Kubernetes, and then it can also control the external services related to the Kubernetes pods hence we can say that the Kubernetes terraform can allow the user to control the lifecycle of the Kubernetes resources by using indicative structure as a code, we can able to use the terraform for generating a pod by using a container.
What is Kubernetes Terraform?
- The terraform is an open-source basic structure tool that can work as a code tool and it is mainly used for controlling the public cloud like AWS, GCP, and Azure, the terraform is scattered as a CLI and it is used for writing the defined basic structure as code, we can say that the terraform is a tool which can make choices to control the whole lifecycle of a basic structure by using that structure as a code which means that the to defining the components of the infrastructure in the configuration file which can be used by the terraforming for arrangements.
- It can also manage and adjust the teardown infrastructure of the multiple cloud provider, the terraform can construct the graph of assets and also can generate the non-dependent assets in parallel, when it comes to collaborating the on infrastructure then the plan of its can generate the output for its team members for reviewing their work.
Working of Kubernetes Terraform
- The working of terraform for controlling the infrastructure with terraform, first we have to write or modify the configuration files in our infrastructure, in which the configuration file can have the defined state of our infrastructure, we can modify the surviving configuration files to define the how we can change the existing infrastructure code.
- If we are happy with the defined configuration then we can able to ask terraform to create the execution objective, the commands of that objective are used to create the execution plan from a configuration in which the plan tell us what conversion will we want in our infrastructure to define the state which we can say that this is the typical workflow of terraform because we need to perform some tasks manually, now terraform also support the automation workflow in which we may automatically generate the new infrastructure for deploying the new branch, we can also automatically get the plan to for updating the plan with its new version without any manual help which is easy to understand.
Why Terraform is a Tool?
- Terraform is a tool because acknowledge the connection between the assets in which it has an in-built understanding of the order operations and non-success conditions for generating, updating, and deleting the assets, for example, if a PVC needs to space from a PV then it can spontaneously know how to generate the PV previous to the PV, and if the PV fails to generate then the terraform will not try to generate PVC till the terraform will understand the failure of generations.
- Terraform is beneficial for maintaining the assets of Kubernetes and it can combine into the terraform plan hence we can examine the changes before trying them and also it can be useful over various clients to route the and carry on the basic structure as code, it also helps to route the system and refine the time for market.
Kubernetes Use Case of Terraform
It has main three use cases of terraform:
1. Public Cloud Provisioning
Public cloud provisioning is the main task of the terraform as it can provide one of the main cloud providers, the terraform allows us to use the public cloud via what is called a provider, the provider in terraform can think such as a plugin in which it can envelop existing companies to generate the defined terraform syntax, the provider which can overcome the main public cloud that all can open source and that closely controlled by the organization which is behind the terraform that results into the provider can able to accept the updates from the providers.
2. Multi Cloud Deployment
This is another use case of the terraform in which it can execute multi cloud deployments, one of the main attractiveness about how to terraform is works at the same time, it has multi-cloud deployment feature as we can say that it can work for multiple cloud deployment at one time but it works primarily with every single cloud provider. It can able to develop resources into the various cloud providers which is beneficial because the developer can able to use the same code for and follow with chain and there is no need to acquaint themselves with various tools and technologies, and there are also planned benefits to multi-cloud in which it can assist to allow the organization for supporting unique services which may be only available in one provider so that it can overcome the risk of having all cloud assets depending on an only one organization.
3. Infrastructure as Code
As we have seen above that the terraform has a way of provider in which it can envelop the existing API and transform that into the defined syntax, the process of generating providers is not only for open resources and that can be written for internal companies where a company can allow us to convert the existing tools, the API which can manage to perform the CRUD (create, read, update, and delete) actions which can provide the flexibility for managing the various infrastructures.
In this article, we conclude that the terraform is an extremely dynamic tool for writing infrastructure as code, in which we have also seen the use cases of it and working of the terraform, so this article will help to understand the things about Terraform and how it can be used.
This is a guide to Kubernetes Terraform. Here we discuss the introduction, working, why terraform is a tool? and use cases respectively. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –