Updated April 13, 2023
Introduction to Kubernetes Prometheus
The Kubernetes Prometheus is defined as, it is open-source software that can be utilized for tracking events and alerting; it can track the present-time of the metrics in high dimensional databases for constructing an HTTP pull model by using comparable queries and real-time alerts; hence it is called as a pull-based system, and it sends HTTP requests, and the response to the request can be set aside that is described with metrics for scrape, the components of the Kubernetes can throw out the metrics in Prometheus format and that format can be designed as plain text to be read by people and machines both.
What is Kubernetes Prometheus?
- The Prometheus is an open-source system which is designed for monitoring the entire system, which is separately the web server and also it monitor a single device as well as a single process, the things which are monitored by it is called a target, and the target has units, and that unit is called as a metric.
- The target can drag the over HTTP in an interval time period for gathering the data for keeping that data in the time-series database, and also it is designed for alerting; hence the components are answerable for handling the alerts, we can say that it is good in alerting because it able to scrape many targets but it does not have to be used by other users without authorization, and the Soundcloud develops it, it does not avail the multi-tenancy we can say that it can scrape many targets.
Why Use Prometheus for Kubernetes?
- The Prometheus is specially planned for reliability in which the system can able to run in outage also so that we can able to determine the issue rapidly, the architecture of it has separate Prometheus server due to that it cannot depend on the network storage or any other remote services, that only depends on the parts of the infrastructure hence we do not have to arrange the large infrastructure for using to it, it can be useful when it provides the reliable values hence we can always see the statistic which is provided by our system, and it may also be in a non-successive conditions.
- It can also be useful when we want 100% accuracy, for example, accuracy for pre-request billing, the Prometheus cannot be useful if we do not have a collection of data in detail and we can say that complete enough in such type of cases we will be the best for utilizing other systems for gathering the analyzed data for billing purpose and it uses Prometheus for the tracking purpose.
Architecture of Kubernetes Prometheus
The architecture of the Prometheus in which it has some ecosystem components such as:
- Prometheus server which is the main component for keeping the metrics in a time-series database.
- Push gateway, which works as a mediator.
- The alert manager can be accountable for controlling the alerts and the Prometheus web UI.
- The Prometheus scrape metrics from the instrumented jobs may be directly or through a mediator push gateway, which can work with short-lived jobs. It can able to keep all samples of scraped sectionally, in which it can pass above to the data for documentation of new series that may be from the surviving data; the pulling of the scrape is the method which is used for rectifying the metrics, and the target is the server-client so that we can restore data. Therefore, the Prometheus can work efficiently for setting down the numeric time series in which it can be suitable for machine-centric monitor and also for the dynamic service-oriented architecture which is used for monitoring; the service discovery allows us to recognize the applications so that it can monitor and it can able to drag the metric in a dynamic environment, it can assist for grouping of the multi-dimensional data and also the questioning is the specific power of it.
Kubernetes Prometheus Customizing
- The Kubernetes can resolve the management problem of which applications are available via liveness and readiness probes, the Prometheus can also provide the capability of the application with the help of client API, and the API can be used to describe the customizing of the metrics, and it can also monitor the performance of the application.
- There are some points which we need to keep in mind that the customizing metrics can be developed by using the Prometheus client API, which is on the toy application, and also the applications can be developed in the Kubernetes, the golang client API can be used for giving the custom metrics for simple hello world application, in this way, we can customize the metrics of Prometheus when deployment is done in the Kubernetes.
How to Install Prometheus?
The Prometheus monitoring can be installed by using the set of YAML files containing the organization, authorization, and services which allows us to approach the resources and drag the information by scraping the elements in our cluster; the YAML files can be easily tracked, revised, and also can be recycled. However, some points are necessary before the installation that we need a google cloud platform account with the latest version, and the helm should also be installed on the machine.
- For checking the helm version, we have to execute the command.
"$ helm version"
In which this will show the version of the helm.
- If the helm is found as 3, then we need to add the stable by using the command.
"$ helm repo add stable https://kubernetes-charts.storage.goog.com"
- Then we can proceed with the installation by using the command.
"$ kubectl create namespace tracking"
In this article, we conclude the Prometheus monitoring in the Kubernetes can monitor and provide alerts; we have also seen how we can able to install the Prometheus monitor on the cluster of the Kubernetes so that we can able to track and manage the health, performance, and behavior of the system.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Kubernetes Prometheus” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information.