Updated May 31, 2023
About Keira Knightley
Keira Knightley has always been an over-achiever and has proved the same with her acting skills. She has been a favourite of millions on screen since 8. The British actress has appeared in several acclaimed movies like Pirates of the Caribbean, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, The Imitation Game, and Pride & Prejudice. She has won multiple awards for her movies, including nominations for 2 Academy Awards and 7 Teen Choice Awards.
|Full Name||Keira Christina Knightley|
|Birth Date||26th March 1985|
|Partner||James Righton (2013)|
|Parents||Sharman Macdonald & Will Knightley|
|First Movie||Innocent Lies (1995)|
|Last Movie||Silent Night|
|Net Worth||$80 Million|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown|
|Favourite Book||Pride & Prejudice|
Keira Knightley was born in the suburbs of London (Teddington) and is the daughter of stage artists Sharman Macdonald and Will Knightley. Her name was initially to be Kiera, but due to a spelling made by her mother, the official name became Keira. Keira also has an elder sibling Caleb. When he was born, the couple faced a financial crunch, so Will Knightley asked his wife to sell a script if she wanted another child. Although the profession of an artist gave the parents little success, Keira Knightley was always curious about it. She was acquainted with ballet and theatre, so she got inspired to pursue the career.
Keira was determined to act as a career, and at the mere age of 3, she demanded her agent and got one when she was 6! It gave her acting jobs in various TV dramas. Sharman’s friends encouraged Keira to pursue drama school, but for financial reasons, she chose not to.
- At 6, Keira Knightley had an agent, which shows her passion for art. She appeared in several TV movies before bagging a role in Star Wars: Episode I as Sabe. At that time, Natalie Portman dubbed Keira’s dialogues. She was cast for the role because she looked pretty like Natalie.
- Her first significant role was in Princess of Thieves, where the beautiful actress played Robin Hood’s daughter. After that, her breakthrough performance was in Bend It Like Beckham, a comedy movie by Gurinder Chadha. In that movie, she played the role of a tomboy who played football and convinced her friend to do the same.
- In 2003, Keira Knightley acted in Pirates of the Caribbean and portrayed the role of Elizabeth Swann. She simultaneously worked in Love Actually and received praise from around the world.
- Keira’s role in Pride & Prejudice is one of the most successful characters throughout her journey. The movie was a commercial blockbuster.
Movies of Keira Knightley
|1995||Innocent Lies||Young Celia|
|2002||Bend It Like Beckham||Jules Paxton|
|2002||New Year’s Eve||Leah|
|2003||Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl||Elizabeth Swann|
|2005||Pride & Prejudice||Elizabeth Bennet|
|2008||The Duchess||Georgiana Cavendish|
|2014||Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit||Cathy Muller|
|2019||The Aftermath||Rachael Morgan|
Fun Facts about Keira Knightley
- Keira Knightley once told in an interview that she took a girl as her prom date in school. She said that no boy wanted to take her to the prom.
- She had dyslexia as a child, but with constant practice and support around her, she subsided it. Till now, she cannot focus on reading properly and takes time to read anything.
- While casting Keira Knightley for the role in Pride & Prejudice, Joe Wright said that he found the actress too beautiful. But he noticed what he was looking for when he met Keira.
- Since the British actress is so pretty, people often overlook her personality. Those who have given time to understand her have said she has a great sense of humour.
- She was one of the noteworthy cast of the Pirates of the Caribbean, but she almost missed the auditions! Thank god she reached on time.
Awards & Nominations
- Keira Knightley has received several nominations and awards for her theatrical and movie performances. The leading nominations include Laurence Olivier Award, Guild Award, Golden Globe Award, British Academy Award, and Academy Awards.
- Her fantastic performance in Bend It Like Beckham won her the title of Best Newcomer in the London Film Critics’ Awards.
- Keira’s first BAFTA award nomination was for her role in Atonement, where she acted with James McAvoy.
- Her total award wins till now are 24, and nominations stand at 94! It indeed proves that Keira Knightley is a stick of acting dynamite.