var window = window.open(url, windowName, [windowParameters]);
Parameters for the above syntax represented below,
- url: Name of an URL which is to be loaded into new Window.
- windowName: Name of the new Window. Every window has a specific name written as window.name. If there is a window with the specified name, the URL will open up in that window; a new Window would be opened.
- windowParameters: A list of window features are put in with their corresponding values in the form of “name = value.” A list of features will include the default size of the window and position, toolbar, etc. No whitespaces should be included in the string.
- Left/ top: Numerical coordinates of the window top left corner on the window screen
- Width/ height: Numerical width and height of a new window. It is limited to a specific and minimal width or height, limiting users from creating an invisible window.
Window features: yes/no
- menubar: used to show or hide the browser menu on the new window
- toolbar: used to show or hide browser navigation bar on the new window
- location: used to show or hide the URL field in the new window
- status: used to show or hide the status bar
- resizable: used to allow or disallow resizing of the new window
- scrollbars: used to allow or disallow scrollbars for the new windows.
The open () function creates a secondary new browser which is similar to choosing a new Window from the file menu. URL specifies what data is to be fetched and loaded into a new window. If, in case, we do not provide any URL, an empty window would be loaded (about:blank) with the default toolbars of the main window. Remote URLs won’t be loaded. The creation of the window and actual loading of the URL is deferred, and the script executes asynchronously.
Opening a new window with an empty URL
On clicking the button, a new window opens.
Opening a new window with the URL provided.
On clicking here,
A new window with the given URL ‘https://www.gmail.com’ is opened.
Opening a new window with the URL provided and also closing the same window.
With the Click of an open button, a new window will open, and with the click of the close button, the window which has been opened will be closed. Without opening a new window, close would now work.
So now, when a new window is opened, clicking on close will close this new window.
Parameters are used in the open window.
On clicking on open, facebook gets loaded into a new window with specified parameters like left/ top, width/ height, and scrollable, toolbars, etc.
So here you can able to scroll the page up and down
- Most of the modern browsers on desktop offer tab browsing, and most users prefer opening new tabs than opening new windows.
- Most of the browsers open the pop-up blocking feature with which window.open will not help users much.
- Opening new windows will use system resources like CPU and RAM.
- We should identify URL’s which will be reused for a secondary window