Difference Between Intranet vs Extranet
The following article provides an outline for Intranet vs Extranet. The extranet is defined as a computer network system that is private in nature which can be used in an organization, institution or any group so that they can share sensitive information, knowledge and can also perform operations and access is provided to authorized users only. The intranet is also a type of computer network system that is private in nature which is accessible to a particular group of the organization within particular place so that information and knowledge can be shared among the group using the network.
Head to Head Comparison Between Intranet vs Extranet (Infographics)
Below are the top 9 differences between Intranet vs Extranet:
Key Difference Between Intranet vs Extranet
Let us discuss some of the major key differences between Intranet and Extranet:
- The one of the major difference between extranet and intranet is the number of users that can access the network. The intranet usersanet is very specific as the intranet network can only be an accessible particular group of organisations. Whereas in the extranet network, the number of users is more as the information can be accessed by particular group of organization and external members of an organization that includes stakeholders and clients of the organization.
- The other difference between both types of network is the security of the network. The intranet network can have a defined firewall that can be used to provide security to the network to access the intranet network. In the extranet netwo,rk the firewall must help segregate the external members and organization members so that the organisation can easily access them.
- The intranet is derivated from the internet, while the extranet is derivated from the extranet network. The organisation’s HR and CIO manage an intranet network so that valid users can access the network. The communication department of the organization manages the network of extradition.
- When the intranet and extranet network is compared based on security, the intranet network is always a more secured network than an extranet network. As in intranet network, only a specific group or an organization can access the more secure information. On the other hand, in the extranet network, as the information is shared between the organization and external members of the organization, it creates a risk of unauthorized access to the organisation’s sensitive information. The organization decides the policies and access so that only valid users can access the network that includes the extranet and intranet. As the intranet network uses a limited interface, it provides better security to users of the intranet network. Providing security to the extranet users is more difficult than the intranet network as in an extranet network, the external users are also there that create a risk of a security breach.
- The other difference between extranet and intranet network is utilization of the resources. The intranet network users can utilize the resources in a better way compared to the extranet network. The information and knowledge present on the extranet are very limited and specified to the network. Whereas in the intranet network, the information is sufficient for the network users so that business operations can be easily executed for the organization.
- The other difference between intranet network and extranet network is accessibility of the network. The intranet network can only access by a single group or an organization. In contrast, on the other hand, the extranet network can be accessed by the particular group and external members of the group.
- The other difference between the intranet network and extranet network is implementing network company servers, and the system can implement the intranet network. In the extranet network the internet needs to be used as it is economical to connect to the network.
Intranet vs Extranet Comparison Table
Let’s discuss the top comparison between Intranet and Extranet:
|Description||The intranet is defined as a private network that is accessible to particular group so that particular users can only access the network to share the information and knowledge.||The extranet is defined as a private network that uses the public network to share knowledge and information with stakeholders and clients of the organization.|
|Network size||Intranet network size is small, as in this type of network; only a few users are connected to each other.||Extranet size of network is also very small as only few numbers of users are connected to each other.|
|Purpose||The main purpose of using the intranet network is to share confidential and sensitive information within the organization.||The extranet network is used for sharing the information between the organization and external members that includes clients and stakeholders.|
|Content on network||The content and information present on the network can only be accessible by some users and organisation members.||The content and information present on the extranet network can be accessible by the organization members and external organisation members, like clients and stakeholders.|
|Regulation and mechanism||The intranet network can be regulated by some specific organization only. The organization policies are used to regulate the intranet network; multiple organizations can regulate the extranet network||ns. Contractual agreements are used to regulate the extranet network.|
|Ownership of network||The intranet network ownership is maintained by one single organization.||The extranet network ownership is maintained by one or multiple organizations.|
|Access||the internet can easily access the intranet network; the only requirement is a password as only valid users can access the network.||The extranet network can also access using the internet.|
|Security||A firewall mechanism is used to provide security to the intranet network.||The firewall mechanism is used to separate the extranet and internet in the extranet network.|
|Information||The intranet network contains information of some particular group only.||The extranet network also contains information of specific organization group.|
The intranet network and extranet network are both used extensively in the organization to cremation and knowledge among the organisation members network is more secured compared to an extranet network, and for any organization, the security of information is always the main concern. So, the organization should implement an intranet network to share information among the organisation members.
This is a guide to Intranet vs Extranet. Here we discuss the Intranet vs Extranet key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –