Difference Between Intranet vs Extranet
The following article provides an outline for Intranet vs Extranet. The extranet is defined as computer network system that is private in nature which can be used in an organization, institution or any group so that they can share the sensitive information, knowledge and can also perform operations and access is provided to authorized users only. The intranet is also a type of computer network system that is private in nature which is accessible to particular group of the organization within particular place so that information and knowledge can be shared among the group using the network.
Head to Head Comparison Between Intranet vs Extranet (Infographics)
Below are the top 9 differences between Intranet vs Extranet:
Key Difference Between Intranet vs Extranet
Let us discuss some of the major key differences between Intranet and Extranet:
- The one of the major difference between extranet and intranet is number of users that can access the network. The number of users in intranet is very specific as the intranet network can only be accessible by particular group of organization. Whereas in the extranet network the number of users is more as the information can be accessible by particular group of organization and external members of organization that includes stakeholders and clients of organization.
- The other difference between both type of network is security of the network. The intranet network can have a defined firewall that can be used to provide the security to the network so that authorized users can access the intranet network. In the extranet network the firewall is must that can help to segregate the external members and organization members so that organization can be access easily within them.
- The intranet is derivated from the internet while the extranet is derivated from the extranet network. The network of intranet is managed by the HR and CIO of the organization so that valid users can access the network. The network of extranet is managed by the communication department of the organization.
- When the intranet and extranet network is compared on the basis of security than the intranet network is always more secured network compared to extranet network. As in intranet network, only specific group of organization can access the information that is more secured. On other hand, in extranet network as the information is shared between the organization and external members of the organization it creates risk of unauthorized access of the sensitive information of the organization. The organization decides the policies and access so that only valid users can access the network that includes extranet and intranet. As the intranet network uses limited interface it helps to provide better security to users of intranet network. Providing security to the extranet users is more difficult part compared to intranet network as in extranet network the external users are also there that create risk of security breach.
- The other difference between extranet and intranet network is utilization of the resources. The users of the intranet network can utilize the resources in better way compared to the extranet network. The information and knowledge present on the extranet are very limited and specified to the network. Whereas in the intranet network the information is sufficient for the users of the network so that business operations can be easily execute for the organization.
- The other difference between intranet network and extranet network is accessibility of the network. The intranet network can only access by the single group of organization while on other hand, the extranet network can be access by the particular group and external members of the group.
- The other difference between the intranet network and extranet network is implementation of network. The intranet network can be implemented by the company servers and system. In the extranet network the internet needs to be used as it is economical to connect to the network.
Intranet vs Extranet Comparison Table
Let’s discuss the top comparison between Intranet and Extranet:
|Description||The intranet is defined as private network that is accessible to particular group so that particular users can only access the network to share the information and knowledge.||The extranet is defined as private network which uses public network for sharing of the knowledge and information with stakeholders and clients of the organization.|
|Network size||Intranet network size is small as in this type of network only few users are connected to each other.||Extranet size of network is also very small as only few numbers of users are connected to each other.|
|Purpose||The main purpose of using the intranet network is to share the confidential and sensitive information within the organization.||The extranet network is used for sharing the information between the organization and external members that includes clients and stakeholders.|
|Content on network||The content and information present on the network can only be accessible by some users and members of the organization.||The content and information present on the extranet network can be accessible by the organization members and external members of the organization like clients and stakeholders.|
|Regulation and mechanism||The intranet network can be regulated by some specific organization only. The organization policies are used to regulate the intranet network.||The extranet network can be regulated by multiple organizations. Contractual agreements are used to regulate the extranet network.|
|Ownership of network||The intranet network ownership is maintained by one single organization.||The extranet network ownership is maintained by one or multiple organizations.|
|Access||The intranet network can be easily accessed by the internet but the only requirement is password as only valid users can access the network.||The extranet network can also access using the internet.|
|Security||A firewall mechanism is used to provide the security to the intranet network.||The firewall mechanism is used to separate the extranet and internet in the extranet network.|
|Information||The intranet network contains information of some particular group only.||The extranet network also contains information of specific organization group.|
The intranet network and extranet network are both used extensively in the organization for sharing of information and knowledge among the members of the organization. The intranet network is more secured compared to extranet network and for any organization security of information is always the main concern. So, the organization should implement intranet network for sharing of information among the members of the organization.
This is a guide to Intranet vs Extranet. Here we discuss the Intranet vs Extranet key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –