Difference Between Gross Salary vs Net Salary
Salary is a fixed amount paid by the employer to his or her employees in exchange for their services. It is a regular payment made by the employer at a fixed interval of time, which is generally at a monthly basis and generally denoted in the form of an annual package. Most of the time, salaries are usually determined by comparing the salaries of employees are getting for a similar role in the same or different Industry. Salary is also segmented into two major categories i.e gross salary vs net salary
Gross Salary is a composite of several components of an individual salary package. It is the salary which is comprised of income tax, EPF and, Medical insurance, etc without prior deduction. The Gross Salary which is mentioned in the company’s offer letter in the salary section where they mention all the required components on a yearly and monthly bases like bonuses, overtime pay, holiday pay, and other differentials. If we think in terms of CTC perspective, Gross Salary does not cover EPF and gratuity. Moreover, Gross Salary involves only compensation benefits to the employee.
Moreover, the Ministry of Labour has empowered the employee they can withdraw the whole accrued amount of his / her PF account at the time of retirement while attaining the age of 55 years.
Apart from that, there are various other circumstances when an employee can withdraw from their privileged account as specified below.
- Termination of services.
- Retirement due to incurable diseases or disabilities.
- Unexpected relocation of an employee to oversees
Components of Gross Salary
There are some basic components of gross salary which are used while calculating the annual package of an individual.
- Basic Salary – A major component of the gross salary which you get.
- HRA(House Rent Allowance) – Consider the house rent of any employee & helps to reduce the tax of an individual.
- Leave Travel Allowance – This component covers the travel cost of an employee & help in tax exemption.
- Conveyance Allowance – This component is used to facilitate an employee to travel from home to work & back.
- Retirals – Also known as superannuation, which covers an employee pension plan for post-retirement.
- Bonus – Gifts or performance allowance which covers under gross salary.
Others like Medical allowance, Provident Fund(PF) etc.
Gross Salary Formula Calculation
- Gross Salary = CTC(Cost to Company) – EPF(Employee Provident Fund) – Retirals
Net Salary is the amount of the salary which the employee receives after deducting tax provident fund and other such deductions from the gross salary which is generally known as Take home salary. Although, net salary is lower than the gross salary. In certain circumstances. It can be equal to gross salary when the income tax is negligible and the salary of the employee falls below the government tax slab.
4.8 (2,629 ratings)
Net Salary Formula Calculation
- Net Salary(or Take Home Salary) = CTC(Cost to Company) – EPF(Employee Provident Fund) – Retirals – Deductions – Income Tax (TDS).
- Net Salary = Gross Salary – Income Tax (TDS) – Deductions.
- Net Salary <= Gross Salary.
Head to Head Comparison between Gross Salary vs Net Salary (Infographics)
Below is the top 6 difference between Gross Salary vs Net Salary
Key Differences between Gross Salary vs Net Salary
The most significant difference between the gross salary and Net salary as specified below:
- The annual compensation which is decided initially without any deduction is known as gross salary and the amount remains after reducing taxes and benefits is known as net salary.
- Gross Salary is always higher than the Net salary.
- The best thing to perceive between gross salary vs net salary, net salary is always dependent upon the gross salary.
- Net Salary derives from Guide to Gross Income after all adjustments and appropriations.
- Gross Salary involves all the benefits in favor of the employee which is paid by the employer annually while Net Salary is the fixed amount enjoyed by the employee monthly.
Gross Salary vs Net Salary Comparison Table
Let’s look at the top 6 Comparison between Gross Salary vs Net Salary
|Basic Comparison between Gross Salary vs Net Salary||
|Meaning||Gross Salary is the amount employee earns in the whole year span of time without any deduction.||Net Salary is the net amount of the salaried employee earn after deduction Income Tax, PPF, Professional Tax.|
|Amount||Gross salary is the maximum amount of the salary inclusive of all taxes.||Net salary is less than the Gross salary amount after deducting all taxes.|
|Benefits||Gross salary is inclusive of other benefits like bonuses, overtime pay, holiday pay, and other differentials.||Net salary is excluded from all other fringe benefits.|
|Interdependency||It comprises of Net Salary, Income Tax & Retirals.||Net salary is the only physical amount which the employee enjoys and also known as a Take home salary.|
|Comparison||Gross salary is always greater than the net salary.||Net Salary can be equal to Gross Salary. If the gross salary lies below the government tax slab limits.|
|Calculation||Gross Salary obtains from Cost to Company after deducting Employee Provident Fund and Retirals amount.||Net Salary obtains from Gross Salary after necessary deductions and Income Tax(TDS).|
Gross Salary is a composite term of benefits and taxes which are offered by the employer annually while hiring an individual on the role which includes basic salary, HRA, Leave Travel Allowance, Bonus and other elementary things which are required to continue the job. However, Net salary is a segment of the Gross salary which is derived after deduction of income tax and other conducive deductions. Gross Salary is always higher than the net salary and sometimes equal to the net salary when an employee’s salary falls below the government salary tax limit. EPF amount which is deducted from the employee’s monthly salary for future redemption. In which certain part of the EPF paid by the employer in favor of the employee.
This has a been a guide to the top difference between Gross Salary vs Net Salary Here we also discuss the Gross Salary vs Net Salary key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –