About Geoffrey Rush
Geoffrey Rush is an Australian actor known to portray eccentric characters in movies, series, and theatre plays. He had taken a break from film for four years, but now he plans to make a comeback with feature-length movies. The actor is famous for his roles in Shine, Shakespeare in Love, The King’s Speech, and many other movies. He has written two books – The Extraordinary Shapes of Geoffrey Rush and The Diary of a Madman. Both of them have received tremendous love and appreciation from the fans. Geoffrey Rush has kept his private life quiet and has never been in dating rumors or scandalous affairs.
|Geoffrey Roy Rush AC
|6th July 1951
|Roy Baden Rush & Merle Rush
|Married to Jane Menelaus (1988)
|James & Angelica
|One Relationship Before Marriage
|USD 40 Million (approximately)
|First TV Series
|Consumer Capers (1978-81)
|Everton Park State High School
|University of Queensland
|Reading & Traveling
Geoffrey Rush, born in Queensland’s Toowoomba, was taken to a simple family and had an older sister. His mother worked as a sales assistant at a department store, while his father was an accountant. Geoffrey’s parents separated when he was five, and he went away with his mother to live in Brisbane. The fine Australian actor got his bachelor’s degree in Arts from the University of Queensland and learned QTC’s talent agents (Queensland Theatre Company) in 1971. That’s where his acting career began!
Geoffrey Rush went to Paris in 1975 and learned the art of mime, theatre, and movement at the renowned L’École Internationale de Théâtre. He returned after two years, and before getting his apartment, Geoffrey lived with Mel Gibson.
- Geoffrey’s theatrical debut began in the 1980s with Wrong Side of the Moon, a production of QTC. He was associated with QTC for around four years, where he portrayed several roles before leaving for Paris.
- Rush’s movie debut was Hoodwink in 1981, and then he acted in Starstruck in 1982.
- In 2003, the Australian actor portrayed the role of Captain Hector in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. He continued his role in the sequels; the entire franchise was a movie blockbuster.
- In the consequent years, Geoffrey Rush has done several movies and left a lasting impression in each one.
Facts About Geoffrey Rush
- Geoffrey Rush married his girlfriend, and the duo is still going strong after 30 years.
- The actor suffered a nervous breakdown because of overwork. Due to the lack of career advancement and missing out on exciting roles, he also went through depression.
- He is the holder of the Triple Crown Award.
- He won the defamation case against an actress who claimed that Geoffrey Rush acted inappropriately with her.
Movies of Geoffrey Rush
|Sir Andrew Aguecheek
|Shakespeare in Love
|The Tailor of Panama
|Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
|Captain Hector Barbossa
|The Book Thief
|Gods of Egypt
Series of Geoffrey Rush
Theatre of Geoffrey Rush
|The Blind Giant is Dancing
|Pearls Before Swine
|The Marriage of Figaro
|Exit the King
|Diary of a Madman
- Geoffrey Rush has won approximately ten awards in his entire acting span and holds the Triple Crown of Acting. It is to an actor who has won Emmy, Tony, and Academy Awards for his acting.
- 3 Awards from British Academy Films, 2 Golden Globes, 4 Guild Screen Actors Awards, and 1 Oscar.
- 1 Primetime Emmy Award for TV Series.
- Apart from the awards, Geoffrey Rush has also bagged nominations throughout his career. He has received two nominations for The King’s Speech, Quills, and Shakespeare in Love.
- He was named the title Australian of the Year in 2012.
- In addition to the Sidney Myer Performing Arts Awards, Geoffrey has received other awards, including an honorary doctorate from Queensland University.
- Montecito Award in Santa Barbara International Film Festival in 2011.
- The Outstanding Artistic Contribution was at the prestigious Karlovy Vary International Film Festival in 2022.