Introduction to Functions of Operating System
The main function of an Operating System is to manage the computer resources well. This function is carried out with the help of the user and hence user interface should be proper and well maintained. Functions of OS help the user to do the tasks assigned to the system and it helps to do it in a proper manner. The services are provided to the user in the form of application software. Also controlling the device for several functions help the user to perform the tasks. Security and storage are the other areas where OS focus to do the system tasks and to help the user.
What Is the Operating System?
- The Operating System as a computing device that helps the user to do the tasks assigned to it. Hardware and software are managed by OS and it provides resources to the user. The OS acts as an intermediate between hardware and input, output and memory allocation functions.
- OS manages the following resources – input devices, output devices, storage devices, and network devices. Input devices include keyboard and mouse, output devices are monitors, printers, and scanners, and network device is the modem and so on. Also, storage devices include internal and external storage drives.
- The main components of OS are the kernel, user interface, and application programming interface. Basic control is provided by the kernel to the devices. The user interface helps in user interaction with the system. The code is written by application developers using the application programming interface.
Functions of Operating System
1. Security is provided by OS to the user data and prevents unauthorized access. Data can be protected by giving the password to the files. When an unknown user checks the files, OS asks for the password and hence the data is protected. The system itself is protected with a password. This helps in checking the persons who log into the system.
2. System performance is boosted with the help of the OS. It monitors the response time taken by the system after the service request. If there is any unusual variation in the time, OS monitors the system performance and brings the issue into the user’s notice. High variation or very low variation can be the result of any virus attack. The user is notified to bring the necessary changes.
3. Various applications or tasks and the number of users doing the tasks are accounted for by OS. This helps to know the number of users and the frequency of application usage. Hence storage can be allocated to the system for those applications that have more usage. This helps to track the user and also various tasks that take up the storage of the system.
4. The computing system shows some errors due to the changes in the hardware and these errors are logged in the OS. This log helps the user to identify the errors in the hardware or software and to make necessary changes in the system. This prevents the malfunctioning of the computing device.
5. Many users use the computing system. OS helps to collaborate and coordinate the interpreters, compilers, and assemblers. This maintains the order of the system and the users are not confused with the functioning of various software.
4.6 (3,144 ratings)
6. The main memory is managed by OS. Several bytes make up the main memory and each byte will have an address. This memory is accessed from the CPU. The program is loaded in the main memory for the program to run efficiently. OS tracks the main memory usage by each application. Also, OS decides which memory should be allocated to which program and how much memory should be allocated and how many users must be given access to check the memory status.
7. OS does the process scheduling. It decides the time of each process assigned to the processor and the order in which the processor is accessed. All the activities of process management are done by OS. It also tracks the status of all the processes. This program is done by the traffic controller. When the process is not required, the processor is de-allocated by OS.
8. OS does device management easily. Device communication is carried out with the help of drivers. The devices connected to the system are tracked and monitored well. A program is made responsible for the devices connected which are called input/output controller. The access to the device by the programs and the time duration is decided by OS.
9. OS organizes the file system into directories so that the files can be easily searched and used whenever needed. The directories have other directories and other files. Information regarding the files, user access details and settings and the running status of each file is monitored and logged by OS. This helps the user to check the files and provide details of the files by checking the logs and the time duration. OS is also called the file system due to the file management provided by OS.
10. OS checks whether the system is ready to work. If not, the system is rebooted and OS makes the system work. This is done by shutting down all the applications so that the application that uses most storage is closed. This helps the user to decide the applications for their use and when the system reboots, the application takes less space. Booting also helps to install and start newly installed software and to work based on customer needs.
11. It takes time to load the program into the system. All the details of the program and the access details, server details have to be checked before starting the program. This loading and execution of the programs are done with the help of OS.
The user interface and application interface helps the user to understand the application software and the OS. OS also provides extra functions so that the system functionalities are done without fail. Coordination with all the applications and tasks help the system to perform well. If a program is written outside the assigned memory, the program is deleted.
This is a guide to the Functions of the Operating System. Here we discuss an introduction, what is the Operating System and Functions of Operating System in detail. You can also go through our other related articles to learn more –