What is the Full Form of CID?
The Full Form of CID is Crime Investigation Department, serves the State Police in India as one of its most important units. The British government introduced it in India to help maintain the law in the country. The CID is the agency that investigates sensitive and complicated criminal cases handed over to them by the State or the High Court.
The investigations are led mainly by an Inspector-General of Police (IGP) or a Director-General of Police (DGP). The department officers known as Detectives each hold different ranks of importance—Superintendents, Inspectors, Sub-inspectors, et cetera. They help check the rate of criminal offenses in the state.
Branches of CID
There are two categories in which CID splitted:
- Special Branch – CID
- Crime Branch – CID
While the Crime branch handles criminal acts and prosecutions, the Special department deals with political, labor- and law-related cases.
I hope you’re not confused yet. Let’s dive straight into the CID branches. The following are the different branches of CID.
- Anti-Narcotics Wing
- Anti-Terrorism Wing
- Anti-Human Trafficking Cell
- Fingerprint Bureau
- Dog Squad
- Human Rights
Intriguing, isn’t it? You’ll be more curious when you discover their importance to the state’s well-being.
Importance of Crime Investigation Department
The Crime Investigation Department operates with more advanced and specialized features, which mark them apart from the rest of the Police forces. Their core functions are investigation and intelligence, and they perform outstandingly well in solving sensitive cases brought to their charge. They handle robbery, counterfeiting money, dacoity, swindling, et cetera. In addition, they extend their service to the local police for more assistance with rape and fraud cases in the state.
Responsibilities of CID
The CID Officer is responsible for preserving, utilizing, and updating crime and criminal records and the Crime-Criminal Information System. They are in charge of creating and implementing criminal intelligence systems and crime analysis to increase criminal cases’ prevention, detection, investigation, and prosecution.
Motive of Crime Investigation Department
The CID has a crucial role in cutting down crime scenes. Their chief motive is to investigate the cases under their control and catch the criminals. Though they do not work directly under any department, they always play the hero behind the scenes.
- Conduct crime investigations and catch criminals.
- Keep a check on corruption and crimes in the state.
- Spread awareness among people about the growing crime rate.
Functions of Crime Investigation Department
Now that we know the Full Form of CID and their motives, don’t you want to know how they function to fulfill them? CID operates autonomously, and the government does not influence how it works.
- Regarding serious crimes, the CID gathers proof and evidence.
- They are responsible for the investigation and perform the necessary actions in each instance.
- They coordinate special teams and squads and keep tabs on old and new cases.
- With the assistance of state police, they also follow the movements of global criminals.
- They look into the division involved in criminal cases.
What Power does the CID Possess?
The CID has the following authority to prosecute all criminals.
- The government may commission CID to investigate specific cases.
- Questioning from people and everyone involved in the investigation must cooperate.
- They have squads and specialized teams that operate for various information-gathering organizations and may continuously gather information from these locations.
- As the source agent, CID also works for the police force.
- The higher authorities receive sensitive information from CID.
CID or CBI?
You may wonder how CID is different from CBI. I got you covered. The following pointers can help you understand their differences in general. Two of India’s top law enforcement organizations are CID and CBI.
- CBI, Central Bureau of Investigation, is a federal organization that handles crimes with a greater reach and frequently crosses state lines. CID Crime Investigation Department is responsible for investigations primarily within the states.
- While CBI is fully operational across the nation and frequently uses officers from different locations to handle their cases, CID officers are from inside the state or territory they serve.
- Although CID and CBI operate independently, CID occasionally asks for CBI’s help when specific special investigations call for additional action.
- In such cases, CID turns the selected case over to CBI and permits them to investigate until the conclusion.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “Full Form of CID” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information,