Updated April 10, 2023
Introduction to FoxPro programming
FoxPro is a text-based procedural-oriented programming language that is also considered a software tool when it comes to development and is considered a Database manager when simultaneous queries are performed over it. FoxPro in turn contains many development tools which help in enhancing the experience of development and design of programming language. There was a time when FoxPro was considered one of the most powerful languages as it supports a multi-tasking facility of Database manager, development environment, and compatible operating system. FoxPro Programming language subsequently started to follow object-oriented programming paradigm which makes this programming language quite robust.
Why do we need FoxPro programming?
- FoxPro is a data-centric procedural language that subsequently became object-oriented and is quite useful in terms of database management.
- Visual FoxPro evolved as a successor to FoxPro programming and helps in providing an environment for application development.
- FoxPro is quite fast when it comes to processing database queries with a huge set of data in the database.
- It helps Business owners to notice patterns that can help them with Data analysis and manipulation for the implementation of data models.
- All legacy systems can be maintained using FoxPro Programming language which is done by most organizations nowadays.
- Although FoxPro got deprecated in 2007 some of the organizations still use FoxPro because it is easy to upgrade the entire system software easily.
How does FoxPro programming work?
- FoxPro was derived from FoxBASE which was in turn derived from dbase III and dbase II which helps in performing all transactional operations with the presence of database table and database management queries.
- FoxPro 2.6 for UNIX Is successfully installed on Linux and FreeBSD which uses the Intel Binary Compatibility Standard (ibcs2) which supports the library.
- FoxPro 2 version for running FoxPro programming language includes “Rushmore” as an optimizing engine, which is used indices to accelerate data retrieval and updating.
- Rushmore optimizing engine makes use of Rushmore technology which is used for examining all the data-related statements and looks for filter Regular expression.
- It was actually built on Watcom C/C++, which used the extended memory for its working, It can make use of almost all available RAM.
- There are certain data types used in FoxPro programming like Character which includes A-Z, a-z, or any arithmetic operation for the same size of 10.
- It is used for storing numerical values that will store the decimal values that should not exceed more than 20.
- For storing boolean values it made use of logical storage with value as yes or no.
- For storing date and images it makes use of date and memo respectively. Memo is a special type of data type in FoxPro which is used for storing all the images, text, sound, audio, video etc for the role and is a very powerful data type which have extension more than .fpt
- In General it has some more interesting character and functionalities like memo with which it can handle and store much more larger data in terms of word processing system. The advantage of this data-type is it can increase the size of the data and can also store ample data without much problem.
Advantages and disadvantages
There are certain advantages and disadvantages associated with FoxPro Programming language.
- FoxPro Programming language provides the object-oriented programming syntax which makes the implementation and development easy.
- It makes use of Visual Tools to enhance and create interactive Graphical user Interface for interaction and usage.
- It supports for the multimedia database which takes care of operations and manipulation on data for the database of the DBMS present and is used for RDBMS.
- It is easy to use; maintenance is good that is why opted for most of the organizations to maintain their own legacy application.
- It is inexpensive as it does not include price for the feature it provides to the end-user for usage.
- FoxPro programming language do not support for any low-level programming language i.e. none of the low-level programming language can be performed.
- Scalability of the database is difficult when a greater number of databases is being introduced at the time of development and design of the application.
- This programming language supports for only character mode it does not support for any other mode.
- It cannot get downloaded by itself it is required to go into broader Microsoft services package to get used by.
- There are other setbacks like it has been discontinued for further usage.
- Some of the latest hardware do not support programming language.
- As other languages like Java, Python came into evolution it is very hard to find out FoxPro-related support or any hardware-related issues that might arise in any of the conditions.
A career in Fox Pro
- There are certain career opportunities that exist for the FoxPro Developers.
- Fox Pro Developers are in demand for organizations that have legacy systems being maintained and developed using FoxPro especially multimedia devices.
- All the FoxPro Developers need to have certain skills and expertise with domain knowledge of Database Management System, Relational Database, Scripting Language, should be well versed with coding and UI aspects of VFP.
- Knowledge on C# is quite advantageous if the Career graph deviates from FoxPro Developer.
- Should have capability of Database architecture, Database concepts and software functionalities should also be clear and effective.
- IT software domain have good demand for this programming language.
Usage of FoxPro Programming
- In Industry whenever the legacy system needs maintenance FoxPro Programming comes into picture because of the ease and simplicity of the language.
- Upgrades and data modelling for is simple for the organization development using FoxPro Programming language.
FoxPro Programming language is losing its popularity because of the evolution of other languages which is used quite normally. But when it comes to certain existing multimedia related application that has been specifically developed in FoxPro is really the scenario where its usage is required. FoxPro language is powerful and helps developers to develop and design applications easily because of the flexibility and versatility this language provides.
This is a guide to FoxPro programming. Here we discuss How does FoxPro programming works and Why do we need it along with the Advantages and disadvantages. You may also look at the following article to learn more –