Calendar in Excel (Table of Contents)
- Calendar in Excel
- How to use the pre-built calendar in Excel?
- Use Custom Calendar sheet–Example
- How to Print a customized calendar?
Calendar in Excel
In every business during meetings, project, deadlines etc. it’s very difficult to remember all the dates. It is very much required to keep track of all the records for any successful business. A calendar is a solution to this. We can easily keep track and notes of important dates, meetings, schedules, appointments etc. There is a lot of usage of the calendar like creating attendance sheet, timesheet, project tracking etc.
In Excel, we can create our own Calendar templates but it will be time-consuming. Excel provides in-built Calendar template which you can use and save your time.
Excel provides a variety of different templates which is already formatted and ready to use.
How to use the pre-built calendar in Excel?
For creating a pre-built calendar in Excel, follow the below process:
- Go to File tab.
- In left pane bar, click on New option.
- It will open several options in the right side window. Refer below screenshot.
- In this window, in the search box, we have to enter what we are looking for.
- Type Calendar in the box and press Enter key like below screenshot.
- It will display various types of calendar options as shown below.
- It has many options like monthly, yearly calendar format.
- Scroll the bar and choose the Photo calendar (Mon) option. Refer below screenshot.
4.8 (270 ratings)
- After clicking on this, it will open a dialog box like below screenshot.
- Click on Create icon.
- It will open an Excel workbook having a month wise date calendar. Here month wise tab is available as you can see in the below screenshot.
- Click on Jan month tab.
- It will look like the below screenshot.
- You can select Year for which you want to work for by clicking on the Down/Up arrow icon as shown in below screenshot.
- Click on right side image. It will open a Format tab in the menu bar.
- We can format this calendar by changing pics as per our choice.
- For this click on right side image. It will open a Format tab in the menu bar. Refer below screenshot.
- You can change the address and contact details in the box available on the right side. Refer below screenshot.
- By clicking on any date inside the calendar, you can make notes date wise or month wise.
- Like in below screenshot, we have mentioned some notes date wise.
- Using format tab you can customize the calendar as per your requirement.
Calendar in excel is very important in any company and it uses for different purposes. Here we are taking an example where we will see a way to create a calendar in Excel for a team.
Use Custom Calendar sheet in Excel
Let’s consider two employee data in a calendar in the Excel sheet. David & Ian are two employees in a team as shown below:
Now we are creating a monthly Excel calendar for them. Let’s write the first date of the Jan 19 month in Cell B1. Now in Cell C1 we will apply the formula =B1+1 for the date of the next date as shown in the below screenshot.
- Hit the enter key and drag this formula in the next columns for the last day of the month. Here drag till the 31st Jan 19.
- Copy the same dates in Row 2. Refer below screenshot.
- Now select the dates from Cell B1 to Cell AF1 and do the right-click.
- It will open a drop-down list of items.
- Click on Format Cells as shown in below screenshot.
- Choose the Custom option from the Category window and write “ddd” under Type field for Weekdays. “ddd” refers for Mon, Tue etc. Refer below screenshot.
- It will convert the dates into weekdays in Row 1.
- Again select the whole dates in Row 2 and write “dd” in Type field under Custom option. It will convert the dates into days as shown in the below screenshot.
- Select the columns from B to AF and move the cursor on the line between any two columns and it will compress the cells as shown in below screenshot.
Now we draw a line using Draw Border option by clicking on Border option under Font section as shown in below screenshot.
And our calendar will look like below:
Now our template is ready. Put the name of this sheet as Template. Make the copy of this sheet and give the month name of the sheets like Jan 2019, Feb 2019 etc.
For Feb 2019 month, we need to change the date of months like below.
Now we will highlight the weekends and will hide the unnecessary rows and columns by using Hide option.
As we can see the calendar template is ready with us and now we can use this for scheduling the activities of team employees date wise and month wise.
How to Print a customized Calendar in Excel?
In the above section, we learned how to create a calendar. We also can take the print of this. Follow below steps for printing a customized calendar:
Step 1 – Go to the Page Layout tab.
Step 2 – Click on Orientation option under Page Setup section as shown in below screenshot.
Step 3 – It will open a list of options. Click on Landscape as shown in below screenshot.
Step 4 – By choosing 1 page under Width and Height boxes in the Scale to Fit As shown in the below screenshot.
Now your customized calendar is ready to print on one page.
Things to Remember about Calendar in Excel
- By using this Excel Calendar you can easily keep track of daily, weekly, monthly activities, schedules etc.
- You can keep track of your business growth by watching the progress on timeline fixed date wise.
- You can keep real-time watch and real-time visibility into status, resources, and performance of the business.
You can download this Calendar Excel Template here – Calendar Excel Template
This has been a guide to Calendar in Excel. Here we discuss how to use a pre-built calendar in Excel, how to use Custom calendar and how to print the customized calendar along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You can also go through our other suggested articles –