Introduction to Digital Image Processing Fundamentals
Digital image processing fundamentals can understand as basics steps which we follow during processing of digital image. Image can be defined as a function which as two dimension value of magnitude of image and these value works for making of elements of digital image. These elements include elements of picture, elements of image and pixels. When the value of these elements are finite then you can called that image is digital image. When we works on elements of image for enhancing its quality or extracting some information from that image then it can be consider as Digital Image processing, So Basic steps of digital image processing is called fundaments of digital image processing.
We will analyze some types of images first today in this article so that we will have good knowledge about different types of image and we can easily go through processing fundaments of Digital image. We will discuss type of image on the basis of their formation on digital computer. So let us have a look on some of the types.
Types of Image on the Basis of Its Formation
We will discuss four main type of image which area, Binary image, Black & White Image, 8-bit image and last one is 64-bit image.
- Image formed by Binary elements: Binary elements images can understand as image which has pixels of 0 & 1 element only and where 0 refers as black color and 1 refers as white color. You also have heard the name Monochrome image. This is also a binary elements image.
- Image formed by Black and White elements: These types of images only have two colors that are black & white and whole pixel contains only these two colors for formation of digital image.
- Image formed by 8-bit color elements: This is gray scale elements which formed image by using 256 different types of color shades. We can extract color from this number as 0, 255, 127 which means 0 give black color, 255 used for white color and 127 used for gray.
- Image formed by 16-bit elements: This formation comes in colored image category and has 65, 536 colors in its range. You can understand it as high format color range. You have heard a color mode name which is RGB that means Red, Green and Blue. This comes in 16-bit elements image. These were some of mostly discussed image format and it think now you have a little bit idea about image formation. Now let us move the fundaments of processing of digital image. For doing anything in proper way there must by a fundament steps and by following that fundament steps result of processing of that thing will be accurate. So for digital image processing we have some fundamental steps and here is the list of them.
- Acquisition of image
- Enhancement of Image
- Restoration of Image
- Processing of Color Image
- Compression of Image
- Wavelets and Multire solution processing of Image
- Morphological Processing of Image
- Segmentation Producers of Image
- Representation and Description of Image
- Object Detection and Recognition of Image
Now let us have discussion on each of the fundaments of this list. The first one is Acquisition of image.
- Acquisition of image: You can understand it as the starting step of digital image processing where we generally do scaling of image for different purposes as well as color conversion such as we can change it from RGB to Gray or Gray to RGB. The next one is Enhancement of Image.
- Enhancement of Image: This step of digital image processing is very simple and use for extraction of subjective purpose of image so that we can highlight some details of image such as brightness, contrast etc. Next one is Restoration of Image.
- Restoration of Image: It is help full in improvement of appearance of an image and works as objective purpose of image by following some mathematical or probabilistic image degradation models. Let us move to next one which is Processing of Color Image.
- Processing of Color Image: This is very important step in concern of color image processing because it deals with uses of color image on internet and by this we can do full color processing of image. Next is Wavelets and Multi-resolution processing of Image
- Wavelets and Multi-resolution processing of Image: This belongs to resolution degree of image and used for data compression of image for representing image on different platforms. Next is Morphological Processing of Image
- Morphological Processing of Image: It provides as some features which deals with tools that involves in extraction of image components which are used for representation and description of shapes of image. Next is Segmentation Producers of Image
- Segmentation producers of Image: It is one of the difficult producers of digital image processing and provides partition for image objects so that we can get successfull solution for that object individually. In the list next will come Representation and description of Image.
- Representation and description of Image: It generally works on output of stage of segmentation that means it works on the raw data of pixels which we got from segmentation stage and transform them into a suitable form which can easily processed through computer and that is comes in representation of Image element and in Description it contains extracted quantitative information. Moving to next steps which is Object Detection and Recognition of Image
- Object Detection and Recognition of Image: You can understand it as a process through which a label has assign to the object which is formed by its descriptors and helps in smooth working of it.
Now by going through this article good base about digital image processing fundamentals has been developed in your mind and you can understand different terms which includes in this digital processing easily. Explore each fundamental of the list which we discussed in this article one by one for getting more and more knowledge about them.
This is a guide to Digital Image Processing Fundamentals. Here we also discuss the introduction and types of image on the basis of its formation along with an explanation. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –