About Project Scope Management
Imagine a scenario where you have an extremely important project under your command and, with its fixed objective, you’re all set to make it a grand success. You have everything under control, your project mandate and your project charter looks amazing, your project management plan is in place, and you’re ready to go! But, when you thought everything was in place and working fine, you remember that you’ve missed one very crucial stage in your project management endeavor—the scope.
The scope of a project is as important as the project manager leading the project. Without a proper scope in place or a scope that fluctuates as the project runs into execution, your project can really turn into a detrimental disaster. When you speak about project scope, you will get to know that all the planning and assignment and allocation of resources takes place with this aspect of the project. Within Project Scope Management, you will have a set of processes that eventually leads you accurately and precisely define and map the scope of a project with regard to its objectives.
Putting into practice these processes or techniques will enable you as a project manager to space out and accurately plan the resources needed at different phases of the project, in a manner so as to ensure there’s no inflation of cost or delay in the timelines set.
In projects, there are a lot of factors that surface during the execution of the project and that needs to be dealt with during the project life cycle. With Project Scope Management, you will be able to ensure that you look at those requests or changes to the original plan with one hand on the original scope. This way as a project manager, you will be able to decide what is part of the project scope and what is not.
What is Scope?
When you first hear the word scope, I am sure boundaries and limits or the reach of a particular entity passed your mind. In the world of project management, it surely sticks to the original meaning but can be accurately put as a set of deliverables of a project, planned in a way to achieve the ultimate project goal. These deliverables cascade from the requirements that in-turn comes from the objective of the project.
In PMBOK Verbatim, project scope is defined as:
“The work that needs to be accomplished to deliver a product, service, or result with specified features and functions.”
Project Scope Management – Processes
There are 3 processes that are followed when it comes to project scope management and they are as follows:
- Planning – This process involves capturing data and defining the work that needs to completed in order to reach the project goal.
- Controlling – This process involves monitoring and tracking the scope of the project at all times. Reviews are conducted and documentation is created and regularly updated. This process also involves evaluation of changes to the project and check it again the scope of the project.
- Closing – Just like in the project phases/life cycle, in this process closing would simply mean bringing the entire activity to rest while still auditing and making sure that everything has been achieved as per the project’s intent.
While these are the broad category of processes followed, each project scope management technique or approach can be easily handled through these steps that are undertaken to ensure that your project scope management endeavor proceeds without any interruption or distraction, thus ensuring that your project activities and tasks proceed as per the plan.
There are 6 steps to ensure project scope management; these are as follows:
- Planning Scope Management – The entire planning of your scope management activities takes place in this step. How you would be defining, validating, and controlling the scope of the project will be planned in this step. You will also discuss and put in plans as to help deal with scope creeps, change requests, and have an escalation path readied for any possible disagreements or disputes.
- Collecting Requirements – Understanding stakeholders’ needs and the project objective is very important in determining the scope of the project. In this step, collecting data and information through different techniques is promoted to have a concise and rounded understanding of the requirements of the project.
- Defining Scope – In this step, a detailed description of the project objective will be elaborated upon and a scope is thus born out of the requirements collected and the deliverables to be met. The scope establishes the outermost and innermost boundaries of the project and till where we can stretch or demarcate margins.
- Creating a WBS – The Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) is one important aspect that fuels scope management, which eventually leads to successful projects with maximum profit in outcomes. The scope is chunked into smaller unit that can be effectively and efficiently worked upon. These chunks are called work packages. And, thus, are formed your activities and tasks.
- Validating the Scope – In this step, the customer/client view and perspectives are taken into consideration once the scope is defined. In this case, since it’s a project, the customer/client of the project would be the stakeholders investing in the project. Accepting the deliverables jotted down in the scope would validate the claims of the scope being the most accurate. Work is evaluated and accordingly feedback is provided for each work package.
- Controlling the Scope – In this step, the scope is monitored and inspected at designated intervals to contain the scope and restricting it from spilling over. Thus, ensuring effective management.
Project Scope Management Course Description
- Plan Scope Management – In this section, learn everything you need to know in order to plan a smashing scope and scope management flow to your latest project.
- Collect Requirements – In this section, learn of all the different tools and techniques there are to data and information collection for scoping and how much of value they can add to your management techniques.
- Define Scope – Learn about scope creation and how you can collate data to finally wind up with a successful scope and scoping mechanism for your project. Learn of all the tools and techniques you will need to get your scope right.
- Create WBS – Understand why you need WBS and how you will use the different tools and techniques there are to get your scope chunked to work packages.
- Validate Scope – Learn the role that stakeholders play in the validation process and how you can make a difference in this leg of the game.
- Control Scope – In this section, you will get the opportunity to learn from the best the ways of monitoring and inspecting the scope at all times in order to put up a great and successful project.
What Are the Prerequisites for This Training?
We, at eduCBA, encourage thorough learning of the training course in question and would need your utmost interest and dedication to help us teach you and train you in a manner that will enable you to achieve the goals you have set for yourself in the world of project management and especially in project scope management. With systems and software and the different activities and services that run parallel to the project execution, it’s very important that an individual learning about project scoping understand the underlying concepts of this area within project management.
While we provide the help, we will require the following to be contribution from your side:
- Basic knowledge of project management is required
- Basic knowledge of computers and software handling skills is needed
- Computer with basic configuration and Internet
- Passion to scale heights with the knowledge and application imparted
Our courses are carefully tailor-made for specific professionals and students, with an edge towards the particular subject. That said, it’s really important for us to cater to these specific groups and help in creating a mountain out of a molehill. Project Scope Management falls under the broad spectrum of project management, but also looks at specific individuals who perform certain kind of work towards a project in question. If you belong to any one of these roles, this course will surely address all your needs and queries:
- Project Managers
- Project Sponsors
- Managers responsible for tracking project progress
- Marketing, training, and technical writing professionals
- Analysts moving into project leadership positions
- General managers responsible for projects and programs
- Project management professionals
- Business professionals
- Program Managers
- Project Management students
- Anyone interested in project management
FAQs – General Questions
- Do I need to have prior certifications in order to understand the concepts mentioned in this training course?
No. You only need to have a basic understanding of project management to understand the concepts and techniques in this training course. The curriculum can in fact help you out if you are planning to undertake certifications in the future.
- What is the success rate for this training course? Will I be able to become a project scoping expert at office with this course?
This training course covers the basics and the knowledge sufficient for you to implement at your workplace. The success rate belted out by this training course is 100%, provided you give in your best at understanding the concepts mentioned and implementing them in a way of application at your organization. While promotions aren’t guaranteed as each individual is different and each organization is apart from another, you will be able to boast of a great and wider knowledge base, based on which, you will be able to succeed at your workplace.
- Will this training benefit an entrepreneur?
Yes. An entrepreneur wears all kinds of hats and that of a project manager is surely included. You will be able to implement project scope management practices and concepts in your big project, which is your business venture, and this training will surely help you.
Amazing course and very inspiring. It doubles up as a motivational course as it pushes you to learn and grow. I am really grateful to eduCBA for making learning professional project management such great fun. Right from the videos to the study material it contains and the support service, very professional and it clearly means business. For all those who want to get a PMP certification, this should be your step 1 towards that direction. I benefitted a lot from the course and have spread the word at my organization.
The online courses here are always a delight and has been really helpful in solving my doubts and improve my practicality. I am currently preparing for my PMP exams and this course on scope management has really helped me gain a whole-rounded experience and knowledge within project management. Kudos to Educba for such niche course that can really make a difference. Project managers, these courses are a must-have.
I am preparing for my PMP and this is the 3rd course I undertook in the project management online courses pertaining to the knowledge areas. I am very happy with the entire course and how it was conducted. Good information relayed and all the concepts and definitions. Great material and good facilitation. Really happy to recommend these courses for all pursuing project management in any form. Good going.
An individual who takes up this distinctive course in project scope management is opening Pandora’s Box to active project management knowledge skills and the knowledge areas jotted down in the PMBOK Guide.
With a wide audience already looking forward to making a difference in project management and especially in project scope management, there’s a good chance that you will elevate the competition a tad bit more and stay ahead of the game with this training course.
We encourage individuals to take up the learning rendered in this training course and apply them to scenarios and situations as they arise at their workplaces, so as to showcase the individual’s skill set and thus, stand as a frontier candidate for any level promotions or expert knowledge applications.
The career benefits are abundant and are recognizable with eduCBA’s Project Scope Management Training. It’s a great opportunity to tap on and can be the shining glory to your educational ventures and in your CV.