Machine learning is a scientific discipline that explores the construction and study of algorithms that can learn from data. Such algorithms operate by building a model from example inputs and using that to make predictions or decisions, rather than following strictly static program instructions. Machine learning is closely related to and often overlaps with computational statistics; a discipline that also specializes in prediction-making.
This training is an introduction to the concept of machine learning and its application using R tool.
The training will include the following:
- Introducing Machine Learning
a. The origins of machine learning
b. Uses and abuses of machine learning
- Ethical considerations
- How do machines learn?
- Steps to apply machine learning to your data
- Choosing a machine learning algorithm
- Using R for machine learning
- Forecasting Numeric Data – Regression Methods
- Understanding regression
- Example – predicting medical expenses using linear regression
a. collecting data
b. exploring and preparing the data
c. training a model on the data
d. evaluating model performance
e. improving model performance
- Data analysts
- Data scientists
- No prior knowledge of machine learning required
- Basic knowledge of R tool