Introduction to Cloud migration services
Cloud migration services are defined as cloud computing services that carry out the procedure of “relocating” particulars of a business in terms of data like details about individuals of the organization, emails, application and other characteristics that are necessary for the functioning of the business either to or from a cloud computing environment. There are different types of cloud computing, and the enterprises are free to perform any one of them as per the requirement of the use case to be solved. The different types of transfers are, To the cloud, where data, applications, and other characteristics are move from an on-premise to a “cloud”. The next process is the inter-cloud transfers or a cloud-to-cloud migration where data residing in one cloud can be moved from one platform to other. The final one, also known as cloud exit, is the movement of data from cloud to on-premise.
Services of Cloud migration
With the advent of big data and analytics, the usage of the cloud is inevitable and for any business to migrate to the cloud is even a bigger accomplishment. The data in an on-premise solution might lack the best infrastructure available in the market, and even if it consists of the infrastructure, it might have to trade-off on the cost. But with hosting the data on the cloud, one would get both the infrastructure within the optimized cost, and one can also take advantage of having greater elasticity of performing other tasks, reduce redundancy and improve flexibility, and last but not the least, have a pay as you use costing model as one uses the cloud migration services to migrate.
Now that one understands the benefits of cloud migration and its services, it is important to understand the strategy behind the cloud migration as it is the strategy that would determine the architecture of the migration is done at the lowest cost using the cloud migration services. The first is understanding the applications that need to be migrated. The decision on the application will enable one to decide the quantum of data that would be needed for migration and the dependencies of data and geographical data principles. The next strategy is to choose from various cloud scenarios viz. public cloud which allows computers to connect using the internet or some other connections, private cloud that uses the proprietary architecture of storing the data and hybrid, which is a mix-and-match of the private and the public cloud. While developing the strategy, it is important to understand the workload which brings us to understanding the types of migration services that exist in the market as of the time this article has been written.
There is a tremendous transformation that workload management undergoes when the application that is a part of the strategy moves to the cloud. The change in the management process is achieved by the tools and the services available in the market. In forte of cost, security, and performance, there are big players like Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, which recommend the environment needed for the task. Many cloud cost calculators are also available which makes budgeting easier before the migration even starts to take its shape. And with that, the services present takes care of the different steps (planning, migration of data, migration of server, migration of database) in the cloud migration process. The services are categorized into the below-mentioned categories along with examples from the major players like AWS, Azure, and Google:
- Planning of migration: In order to take the first leap of faith to migrate to the cloud, the organization would need to identify the activities and clearly chalk out the objectives. Here, the 4 components, namely Learn, Scale, Lead, Secure are kept in mind while any service is used for the planning. Different tools are:
- AWS: Application Discovery Service, Migration Hub, TSO Logic, Cloud Adaption Readiness tool
- Azure: Cloud Adaption Framework, App Service migration Assistant, Azure Migrate.
- Google: Cloud Adaption Framework, Cloud Maturity Assessment.
- Migration of Bulk data: In order to transfer a huge quantity of data over to the cloud, it requires substantial processing and workload management to complete the task and securely migrate hundreds of TBs or even up to 1 PB. Different tools are:
- AWS: Snowball, Snowball Edge, Snowmobile
- Azure: Data Box, Data Box Heavy, Data Box Disk
- Google: Transfer Appliance.
- Cloud migration over network: The tools in this category automate, simplifies and thus accelerating the movement of data between on-premise to cloud or in the cloud to cloud migrations. Without even writing a single line of code, one can perform the migration using the different tools mentioned below:
- AWS: DataSync, Transfer for Secure File Transfer Protocol, Storage Gateway.
- Azure: Azure Stack Edge, Data Box Gateway
- Google: Cloud Online Data Transfer, Storage Transfer Service.
- Migration of server: The tools in this category simplifies and accelerates the movement of any legacy or traditional tools existing in the system (Windows or Linux) to be able to run on the cloud-based infrastructure known as clusters. This is more of a Data Recovery as a Service (DRaaS). Different tools are:
- AWS: Server Migration service, CloudEndure Migration.
- Azure: Azure Site Recovery
- Google: Migrate for Compute Engine, Migrate for Anthos
- Migration of Database: The service offered is to manage database transfer over to cloud infrastructure quickly and securely. The migrations that occur are homogeneous transfer i.e. Database Type 1 to Database Type 1 or even heterogeneous i.e. Database Type 1 to Database Type 2. Different tools are:
- AWS: Database Migration Service, Schema Conversion Tool
- Azure: Database Migration Service
- Google: BigQuery Data Transfer service.
We do understand that there are numerous other tools that do the same tasks like the one mentioned above, but during transfer, organizations need a resilient infrastructure to carry out the migrations and hence the one mentioned above are the most favorite choice for the masses, although some have their own choices not mentioned in this list!
In this article, we tried to understand the various keyboard shortcuts, and on the basis of tasks to be performed there are the explained cloud computing services depending on the use case of the problem to be solved so that one can take advantage of any of them to complete the requirement!
This is a guide to Cloud migration services. Here we discuss the various keyboard shortcuts, and on the basis of tasks to be performed, there are the explained cloud computing services. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –