Updated June 14, 2023
Difference between CCBA vs CBAP
Everyone wants their career to be on track. With so many courses available, one needs clarification about how to sharpen their skills. Making an appropriate choice is essential because any of these examinations you decide to take requires hard work, time, and money. The most frequently asked question by the students with the mindset to advance their career in Business Analysis is CCBA, CBAP, or both CCBA vs. CBAP.
CCBA vs. CBAP
Every year several students pursue their certification in one of these courses CCBA- Certification of Competency in Business Analysis or CBAP- Certified Business Analysis Professional? The accreditation is handed to candidates who have confirmed their expertise in this field. Both CCBA and CBAP Certifications are related to Business Analysis, yet there is significant differentiation between the both.
- The overall extent of business analysis experience required.
- The inclusive variety of business analysis experiences is essential.
One can qualify for the CCBA exam if they contribute at least 3750 hours of work experience along with the BABOK guide. A further criterion is at least 900 hours in 2 of the six knowledge areas or 500 hours in 4 of the 6 knowledge areas.
If you plan to apply for CBAP, you would require more experience than the requirement of CCBA. Apart from the BABOK guide, the knowledge associated with BA work of a minimum of 7500 hours is required in the last 10 years. The applicant should be able to document 900 hours in 4 of 6 knowledge areas.
The difficulty level in both exams would be different. However, the overall exam would be easier due to the requirement of experience in CCBA being less.
CCBA vs CBAP Infographics
Difference between CCBA vs CBAP certification
Both exams emphasize different things. The CBAP examination consists of situation-based questions that involve the applicant applying their knowledge obtained from the BABOK. While the CCBA examination mostly contains fact-oriented and knowledge questions related to the techniques and tasks in the BABOK. The CBAP online study question set was revised while the CCBA was introduced.
Which one to Pick CBAP vs CCBA?
If in case you cannot manage to have the amount of experience for CBAP, then consider CCBA as an interim certification as you can still manage to leverage your business analysis skills and expand your experience in business analysis, work in the direction of being eligible for the CBAP before the period of re-certification.
However, one could opt to acquire certification in both, but unless you work for a training provider or could manage to have the particular study materials related to each certification, thinking about pursuing it is not a great idea.
Why Pursue CBAP?
- CBAP certification should be pursued because it provides extensive business analysis experience.
- Certification in CBAP offers you an edge over your colleagues and a good advantage at your workplace.
- You could prove your worth and can manage to obtain a hike in your salary.
- The recipient of the CBAP certificate states that you have hands-on at least 7500 hours of Business Analysis experience. Also, with the CBAP certification, you become a top senior member of the Business Analysis Community.
- This certification will allow you to be an expert in identifying the business organization’s needs to conclude the best solution.
- The companies recognize the CBAP certificate holder as a plus point due to the expertise and added value to the organization due to these professionals.
- Suppose you possess advanced experience and knowledge in Business or system analysis, process improvement, requirements analysis or management, or consulting. In that case, you must consider the professional benefits of being CBAP certified.
What is CBAP Certification all about?
The term business Analysis would have a different definition to you and different to the world. An individual in the profession would recognize who a BA is, which is business analysis. However, BA would mean something different to a different organization which crosses out easy moving from one organization to another. Due to this, the executives are not able to communicate easily. You could be able to get a better perspective of your role as a BA professional. You would get to explore more about your career and learn new things. An aspirant getting the certification becomes more aware of the profession of a business analyst.
Steps to follow to become a CBAP
- Be familiar with the BABOK: CBAP represents senior business analyst professionals. While becoming a CBAP understanding the content of the BABOK (Business Analysis Body of Knowledge) is essential. The book is dense and contains extreme-level information. Reading it numerous times will help you to appreciate the information in it. There is a BABOK study group that focuses mostly on discussing and reading the content of BABOK.
- Find out whether you meet the Business Analysis Experience requirements: The applicant must possess five years of business analysis experience i.e.: 7,500 hours as stated by the BABOK. The aspirant must also determine 900 hours of experience across at least 4 of the 6 knowledge areas. Professionals who are not aware of the BA profession but have been working as business analysts for a long time can apply for CBAP. AN inappropriate experience would cause a missing chance to apply for CBAP. The value of combining career history and matching your experience to the knowledge of the standardized professional body is simply great. If your experience is less and you cannot apply for CBAP, then you can opt for CCBA, an intermediate-level certification that requires lesser experience comparatively. There are various other alternative paths available for a BA career.
- Decide if CBAP certification is the correct step: The business analysts obtain tremendous benefits from a complete understanding of the BABOK, but not all will be benefited from certification. Plus, the examination requires a lot of practice and hard work. It is tremendously imperative to have a clear internal motivation to be successful.
- Earn Necessary Professional Development Hours: For submitting the CBAP application, one must have 21 documented proficient development hours in the earlier 4 years. You must also hold diverse business analysis training opportunities and conference qualifications to obtain credits in professional development.
- CBAP application submission: The entire CBAP certification process is listed on the website of IIBA. The professional development hours and work experience have to be submitted. Apart from that, one must provide the minimum education requirement and two references. You can check out on the internet How to organize your application form for the CBAP exam.
- Schedule CBAP examination: Once the application is approved, you can schedule your exam for 2 or 3 months out. Scheduling the exam aids you in being motivated and preparing for the exam. The option of rescheduling your exam is available. If in case the candidate does not clear the exam, he/ she can schedule the exam again within one year of approval of the application.
- Clear the CBAP exam: After the preparation, finally appear for the exam and do your best. If you cannot pass the exam on the first attempt, you can schedule the second attempt within one calendar year of the approval of the application. Once you clear the exam, you can be involved in the profession.
Since Business Analysis is a vital part of any organization in identifying the needs of the business, a professional Business Analyst is a must. Due to this, there is a high requirement for highly skilled and expert analysts. Appearing for the exams like CBAP and CCBA, you can easily prove your skills and improve your profile to get selected by a reputed company. With the knowledge gained from the certification course, the applicant could not only shape his or her future but also can take the organization to new flourishing heights. Hence, choose the certification that is suitable for you.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “CCBA vs CBAP” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information.