Introduction to C++ Test Unit
The C++ test unit is defined as, it is a way to write down the tests for methods or functions in C++. In which it can test only insisted code inside a selected object and in which we can say that unit testing means to communicate the code which can substantiate the separate parts, or unit, of an application or library. A unit can be the single testable section of an application in which unit test can able to evaluate the code in a separate section, unit testing is a level of testing which can substantiate the nature of units of code.
What is C++ Test Unit?
The main purpose of the unit testing is to separate the code for testing and determine that as it has been planned. It is the main step in the development process because it can help to find out the errors in the early stage which can be difficult to find out that later. It also means that to write the code which can describe the separate section or unit of any application, a small section of a testable part is called as a testing unit, and in C++ test can be written for methods and functions in which it can able to test only inside the single object.
Why to Use C++ Test Unit?
Given below shows why to use C++ test unit:
- To find out stupid bugs early: Unit testing can find out the errors before integration testing and it is also true that we cannot able to find out that after production, hence we can say that unit testing is like a safety net in which it can take time for every method or function for writing them and we can catch them when we create them.
- To avoid regressions: All bugs are not stupid but some are very clever so can call them regression, if our system has been working for a long time in production, and we need to append the new functionality then we need to modify the code and then we need to roll out the new version.
- To get early feedback: Unit Testing by using C++ can provide early feedback in which sometimes the feedback is like we have not created a new regression in which we can say that early feedback is like confidence.
- Better design: To the unit tests for code is like writing a code that has been divided into different units and the testable code is flexible because differently tested units are loosely coupled.
C++ Test Unit Framework
Given below are the C++ test unit framework:
1. Google Test
This framework has been developed by Google for their internal use and now it is the most popular C++ testing framework which is easy to use and it can able to describe the process of generating the ML reports with the testing results.
2. Boost Test Library
It is the popular C++ unit test framework that was created by some people from the committee of the C++ in which it is very good in documentation and handling the exception.
Depending on the Junit testing framework for Java the Cppunit can set out to match the profit for C++, which can be used by developers who have used the Junit or we can say that similar testing tools.
C++ Test Testing Tools
There are some testing tools which are given below:
- It is a tool that is free to use and it can allow to interpret the testing script interactively but not impulsively.
- It can perform in a similar process as Junit works for Java.
- It can assist the data-driven tests which can pass correspondingly.
- Also, it can utilize the console runner to fill up and carry out the tests.
- It is an open-source tool that can be used for unit testing having a group of tools and API.
- This tool has been utilized by the developers and also in API for interpreting the test with the help of TestNG or Junit.
- It can be scrutinized as a substitute for the standard utilization of the mock object.
- It can have three types of code coverage, Line coverage, Path coverage, and Data coverage.
- It is an open-source tool that can compute the java code coverage.
- It can allow every developer to coverage the code fast.
- It can assist the class, line, method, and basic block coverage and report types like text, HTML, and XML.
- It is completely dependent on Java.
4. Quilt HTTP
- It is a free cross-platform which is dependent on the benefit of the software.
- It assists to compute the coverage of the Java program in unit testing with the help of statement coverage.
- It can have the Junit integration and also it has some methods to manage flow graphs and also it can easily generate the reports.
- It can be used as a Java unit testing framework to test the web application which is utilized in the framework such as Junit, and TestNG.
- It has been outlined the same as Junit in which it can describe the test cases in organized forms to create the source code.
- It can decrease the customization of the unit testing regarding test cases that are reserved in a similar test suite.
- It is an open-source unit testing framework that is devoted to the PHP programming language.
- The test case classes in it can be expanded from the base test class through methods and codes.
In this article, we conclude that C++ unit testing is the way to test a method or function in which we have also seen why to test the unit, its framework of it, and also the testing tools of C++, so this article will help to understand the concept of C++ unit testing.
This is a guide to C++ Test Unit. Here we discuss the introduction, why to use C++ test unit? framework and tools respectively. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –