What is Azure ExpressRoute?
Microsoft Azure ExpressRoute is a service which lets users extend their on-premise network into the Microsoft cloud. By establishing connection to microsoft clouds expressroute gives users permission to use microsoft services. To form a connectivity between the network there are many methods like a point-to-point Ethernet network, any-to-any virtual (IP/VPN), or a virtual cross-connection using a provider at a co-location facility. Expressroute connections have more reliability, faster speed with high security even though this connection does not go over the public internet.
How does the Microsoft Azure ExpressRoute Work?
As you have learned the meaning of Azure ExpressRoute service and now we will learn how the Azure ExpressRoute works and it’s different components that work together to form a connection from the on-premise data center to the Microsoft Cloud.
- ExpressRoute service works on worldwide data center locations and regions. It uses ExpressRoute partners to provide edge service. Edge Service is an authorized and authenticated connection to operate through a partner controlled router. It will extend private networks to Microsoft cloud.
- ExpressRoute partner is used to set up a connection to an endpoint to a location implemented by Microsoft edge router. These connections established by ExpressRoute partner and edge service enable users to form a peer connection of your on-premise networks with virtual networks via an endpoint.
- These connections formed between on-premise networks and virtual networks are called circuits. Transmitting data via ExpressRoute provider’s edge routers to Microsoft Edge routers is done in physical connection provided by the circuit. The circuit is established using the private wire and does not use the public internet.
- Users’ on-premise network is connected to the ExpressRoutes provider’s edge routers and this router works as an entry point for Microsoft Cloud.
How to Create and Use ExpressRoute in Azure?
Before learning to create the Azure ExpressRoute users must have an Azure subscription so that you can login with valid credentials to the Azure Portal and create Azure Expressroute Circuit.
Step 1: Use a valid credential to Login into the Azure Portal:
Step 2: Click on the +Create a resource to create a new resource.
Step 3: Click on the Networking and then select To create ExpressRoute Circuit from the right pane window.
Step 4: From the Create ExpressRoute page select the resource group name, Region and unique name in the Instance details:
Step 5: Select Next: Configuration from the page to enter the configuration details:
Step 6: Select or enter the details of network provider, port type, billing model, etc, as per the subscription users have used for Azure access.
Step 7: Now click on the Review+create button to validate that entered details are correct and then click on create:
Step 8: Azure will start deploying a new ExpressRoute Azure circuit and will create a new expressroute.
Step 9: User can configure the on-premise or Virtual network to the expressroute created above as required.
Uses of Azure ExpressRoute
- Azure expressroute offers Layer3 connectivity while establishing connectivity between microsoft cloud and on-premise network via connectivity provider. This connectivity can be of below form:
- Any to Any (IPVPN) network.
- Point-to-point Ethernet Connection.
- Virtual cross-connection using ethernet exchange
- Azure ExpressRoute as Azure cloud service offers global connectivity and it can be used across all geopolitical regions.
- It has an in-built redundancy as it uses two connections to two microsoft edge routers.
- It uses dynamic routing between the on-premise network and Microsoft Azure cloud via BGP. (BGP is an industry standard protocol for routing).
- It enables users to access Microsoft Azure Services and Microsoft 365 Services.
In Conclusion, Azure ExpressRoute is used to connect local or virtual networks to the Microsoft cloud services due to which networks become faster, reliable with the security of high level, and has a high availability which in turns helps users to monitor and manage the on-premise network with the help of microsoft cloud.
This is a guide to Azure ExpressRoute. Here we discuss the introduction and how does it work? along with uses of azure expressroute. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –