Introduction to Advantages of Virtualization
In this article, we will discuss the Advantages of Virtualization. A virtual form of a computer or server or any hardware component is created and this process is called virtualization. The software used in hardware functionalities is used in virtualization. A hard disc can be partitioned during the installation of OS and this is an example of virtualization. The types of virtualization are full virtualization, paravirtualization, and OS-level virtualization. The physical machine can be used to its full capacity using virtualization. The virtualization process started in the 1960s with the mainframe computers. Virtual machines nowadays act like a real computer and people enjoy their advantages to the core.
What is Virtualization?
A virtual source, either server or OS or network is created which does all the work of physical server or network and this process is called virtualization. When compared with the traditional computing process, virtualization manages the workload as it scales up the storage and enhances the process effectively. Virtualization can be applied to any of the system layers and is used from the server level to the network level of the operating system. Virtualization includes system-level virtualization, hardware virtualization or server level virtualization. The common type of virtualization used is system-level that too in the operating systems.
Based on the resource for which it is created, virtualization is divided into network, server, desktop, hardware, software, and storage virtualization. Server virtualization is the process of pooling resources from different physical servers and making them into different virtual servers. For this process, a special tool called hypervisor is used. Type 1 hypervisors run directly on hardware and are also called a bare-metal hypervisor. Type 2 hypervisor runs on the guest OS and is called host hypervisor.
Type 1 hypervisors are used by VMware, Microsoft, and Citrix. Type 2 hypervisors are used in Red hat’s virtual machine based on Oracle. Virtualization is done with the help of virtual machines that act as data stored in a computer that can be moved to any other system. The file structure of data can be either describing the hardware or hard drive. Virtualization is used in almost all parts of digital life and is worthwhile using it due to its less cost.
The hypervisor used in virtual machines can be used to make changes in hardware or hard drive based on the need of the client using the same. When the changes have to be made, it can be saved in such a way that writing is done after the working of the software. This helps the user to boot the system in the known state. Different layers of working of virtualization require different technologies and hence different skill sets. One should be careful in selecting the layer and the technology as a single mistake leads to loss of data.
Advantages of Virtualization
Advantages of virtualization are as follows:
- Since virtualization is always applied in existing parts of the system, better efficiency and performance is always guaranteed by the virtual machines. This helps the system to store and perform with the data in the system.
- Virtual machines are not placed together. They are logically separated so that a malware attack on one VM will not affect the other VM.
- Since hardware virtualization is carried out, we need to purchase less hardware for system usage. This helps to tackle the cost of hardware. Only the storage has to be expanded. The space required will be less if the storage is properly managed by the resources.
- Virtual machines have a better backup than physical machines. This shows the reliability of virtualization. Also, it recovers the file faster and it has good retrieval capability.
- Virtual machines are easily managed by third-party providers and hence the cost can be known beforehand. This helps to manage the costs of the infrastructure and create plans accordingly.
- Service providers help with the software by automatically updating the software whenever needed. This saves time and also the resources can focus on other work rather than checking the VMs.
- The performance and the uptime are increased with the usage of VMs. Even the cheap service providers offer uptime of 99%.
- Resources are allocated faster than physical machines. Since the deployment is faster, it saves time and VMs are spread throughout the organization for which resources are sorted out easily.
- Users can become digital entrepreneurs easily with the help of digital servers and storage devices available today. The work can be managed, developed and divided online with the help of virtualization. There are many sites working with virtualization and anyone can find work in those sites with the knowledge of the application used in the sites.
- It helps to save energy as the number of physical software and hardware used can be reduced due to virtualization. Local hardware is not allocated and there is less need for the same. This helps to manage the funds efficiently for other purposes. Consumption rates are reduced and data centers need not be used for the organization. The carbon footprint is reduced and it gives peace of mind of contributing less pollution.
- Virtualization makes the system scalable depending on the need of the user and the storage capacity is more than any physical system. This scalability helps to use many applications and allocation of resources for the same. Also, this helps to use the system with the storage capacity of two systems and hence the availability of one system can be reduced.
- Servers run very fast in the system when compared with physical servers. We need not wait for any installations or updates to complete as in virtual machines, these things are done by service providers. Also, there are virtual backup tools.
When the number of VMs is more, it is difficult to manage and create confusion. Also, it is difficult to add new VMs to the network once the network has sufficient virtual machines. If the VM in the network is not used, it takes up lots of memory and hence it is wastage. Also, VMs should be always monitored.
This is a guide to the Advantages of Virtualization. Here we discuss the basic concept and best 12 advantages of virtualization respectively. You may also look at the following articles to learn more –
- Working of Virtualization in Cloud Computing
- Types of Cloud Services
- Types of CPU Virtualization
- Top Comparison of Containers vs Virtual Machines
- Guide Top 5 Virtualization Platforms