Difference Between Scrum Master vs Product Owner
The following article provides an outline for the most important difference between Scrum Master vs Product Owner. A Scrum Master is a person who has a good knowledge of scrum methodology, and he acts as the coach for the team and ensures that the scrum technique used properly in the manufacturing of product etc. On the other hand, if we talk about the Product Owner, he is the team’s formal head, and it is also his duty to complete the project on time with the utmost quality. In a formal organization, there is a hierarchy of officials and employees who work with the coordination. On similar lines, if we talk about the designing and manufacturing team, there is a position of a scrum master and a product owner. If we see these two officials’ work, we find that the work is similar up to some extent but not wholly.
Head to Head Comparison Between Scrum Master vs Product Owner
Below is the Top 5 Comparisons Between Scrum Master vs Product Owner:
Key Differences between Scrum Master vs Product Owner
Let us discuss some of the major differences between Scrum Master vs Product Owner.
- A product owner is a demanding position in the market because whole the team management and completion of the project is based on him, Whereas A scrum master is a person who handles all the queries and gives a solution to the problems, so for this, a scrum master is an important position in the company.
- A product owner has a good knowledge of management and carries leadership qualities, whereas A scrum master is one who has a good knowledge of scrum methodology.
- A product owner focuses on the product development and whole the process is on his shoulder; he is the person who has the responsibility to complete the project on time, whereas A scrum master is a man behind who control the quality of the project so that a better project is delivered to the client. The scrum master delivers all the instructions regarding quality management to the team.
- A product owner is the direct head of the team pursuing the project. It is he who handles all the affairs regarding the team, whether it is regarding the leave, salary, and other tasks. With that product, the owner motivates his team all while so that project will complete on time; on the other hand, If we talk about the scrum master, he may not be the direct head of the team, but he works as an ex-officio head of the team because he handles all the affairs regarding the scrum and agile methodology, and also he ensures the quality of the project and gives his suggestions to the team regarding the quality enhancement.
- A product owner stays in touch with the management of the company and also with the client so that the project runs with actual details, and also if there are any changes in the project, it is alterable on time. He schedules meeting with client and management when there is a need and lays the status of the project on the table, whereas A scrum master has no link with the client of the project, and he reports directly to the top hierarchy and ensures them that the project is going smoothly with the utmost quality and there is no problem with the project. Also, he helps the product owner make the project report where there are points regarding the scrum methodology.
Scrum Master vs Product Owner Comparison Table
Let us discuss the topmost comparison between Scrum Master vs Product Owner.
|Product Owner||Scrum Master|
|Responsibilities: He is the head of the team working on the Project; it is his duty to ensure the speedy completion of the project on time.||Responsibilities: Scrum master is the man who ensures the quality of the product, and also he instructs the team that how to maintain the scrum methodology.|
|Nature of work: If we talk about the nature of a project manager’s work so we can say that his work is burdensome because he is the person who has to maintain the team strength and motivate them.||Nature of work: The scrum master acts as the coach for the team because he maintains the product’s quality and acts as a liaison between the top official and team. His nature of work is a little easier than the Product owner.|
|Accountability: As far as the accountability of the product owner is concerned, so he is the person who solely responsible for the project completion and other formalities; he also informs the client at every stage of the project.||Accountability: Scrum master is also the accountable person because the quality of the project lies with him, and he has to inform the top officials about the project from time to time.|
|Qualities: A product owner has qualities like leadership, a sharp mind, good communication skills because he manages the team affairs.||Qualities: A scrum master has good scrum knowledge, leadership quality, etc., because he has to maintain the product.|
|Report: when the project is under construction, the product owner regularly reports to the top management and as well as to the client regarding the improvement and percentage of completion.||Report: Scrum master report directly to the management regarding the peculiarities in the project, and he also sends a report regarding the team efficiency and quality management.|
Both the positions of “product owner” and “scrum master” are important positions, and they individually benefit the company with their work. If we see the comparison between both, we see that there is less difference between their responsibilities and duties. The question arises here that what changes are required in the work culture for both the officials, the answer lies in the fact that if both the official work with synergy and understand their work and as well as help each other to make work effectively, this is the real change which is required. As of now, these two have individual responsibilities, and they interfere less, or there is less interaction between them. Management should require a joint meeting of the client with the product owner, scrum master so that they both represent their individual experience regarding the project, which surely satisfies the client and enhances the reputation of the company.
This is a guide to Scrum Master vs Product Owner. Here we also discuss the scrum master vs product owner key differences with infographics and comparison table. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –