Updated May 29, 2023
Difference Between PostgreSQL vs MariaDB
PostgreSQL is defined as a type of database system that is categorized into an object-relational type database system that is available as an open-source database system designed for the UNIX-based system, Solaris, Mac OS, Windows, and other operating systems to store the data in the PostgreSQL database. MariaDB is another open-source database server available in the market that acts as an SQL interface so that data can be easily accessible and used in various sectors like banking and other sectors where data management is crucial.
Head to Head Comparison between PostgreSQL vs MariaDB (Infographics)
Below are the top 9 differences between PostgreSQL vs MariaDB:
Key Differences between PostgreSQL vs MariaDB
Following are the key differences of PostgreSQL vs MariaDB:
- One of the major differences between the MariaDB and PostgreSQL systems is the performance. Both ssystems, like PostgreSQL and MariaDB, are high-performance systems that can be used in enterprises for data management. When a comparison is made between the two systems, the PostgreSQL system shows better performance in the turnaround time factor compared to the MariaDB system. The read and write operations in PostgreSQL are much faster than the MariaDB system, and access to the data matters when choosing the system for the business organization.
- The other difference between the two database systems is the features. The PostgreSQL system offers Partial indexes, Materialized views that help to increase the performance of the database. On the other hand, the MariaDB system does not support any feature that can aid in boosting the performance of the database. In the MariaDB system, the architecture used is master-slave replication and master-master replication. Conversely, PostgreSQL only utilizes a master-slave replication architecture.
- The other major difference between PostgreSQL and MariaDB systems is size and partitioning. When the MariaDB system is compared to the PostgreSQL system, the size is smaller for the MariaDB system as per the OS versions. The memory allocation is short in the MariaDB system, and the MariaDB database is lighter than the PostgreSQL database system. When MariaDB system and PostgreSQL are compared based on partitioning, MariaDB uses various partitioning techniques, whereas, in PostgreSQL, there is no support for partitioning.
- The other major difference between the PostgreSQL and MariaDB systems is database use. Large-scale organizations employ the PostgreSQL database system, which finds utility in various sectors such as Finance, Education, Commerce, Technology, Media, and numerous other large-scale projects. The organizations that use the MariaDB database are Alibaba, Google, Facebook, Wikipedia, and many large-scale organizations.
- The other major difference between PostgreSQL and MariaDB systems is the deployment of databases. The PostgreSQL database system is implemented in the C programming language and offers support for multiple programming languages including C, C++, Java, Python, and Perl. Users can access the PostgreSQL system in different binary formats and download the source code from the official website as well. The MariaDB system utilizes C and C++ for its implementation, facilitating support for various programming languages including C, C#, Erlang, Java, Python, PHP, Perl, and more. The MariaDB database system is also available in different binary formats, and source code is also available. The database system supports multiple operating systems like Windows, Solaris, Linux, Mac OS, and many more.
- The other key difference between both systems is consistency concepts. The PostgreSQL system and MariaDB system supports consistency feature that helps to write the data and read the data very fast, and this feature increases the popularity of both system that large-scale organizations can use.
- Both the database system supports transaction concepts. The MariaDB and PostgreSQL systems ACID include atomicity, consistency, integrity, and durability. This feature helps the user to maintain huge chunks of data and manage the data properly.
PostgreSQL vs MariaDB Comparison Table
Let us discuss the top comparison between PostgreSQL vs MariaDB:
|Description||The MariaDB is defined as a MySQL application, an open-source RDBMS system with high-performance capability, security, and high availability.||PostgreSQL is an open-source relational database management system for storing data.|
|Initial release||The first release of the MariaDB was in the year 2009.||The first release of PostgreSQL was in the year 1989.|
|Implementation of language||The implementation language used for developing the MariaDB is C and C++ programming language.||The implementation language used for developing PostgreSQL is the C programming language.
|Server Operating System||MariaDB’s server operating system supports Solaris, Windows, FreeBSD, and Linux.||The server operating system supported by PostgreSQL is Solaris, Windows, FreeBSD and Linux, NetBSD, Unix, OpenBSD, and many more.|
|Server-side scripts||In the MariaDB system, users define server-side scripts that can be utilized for data storage purposes.||In the PostgreSQL system, the user can define the functions as per requirement, whereas the MariaDB system does not support this feature.|
|Partitioning methods||The partitioning methods used in the MariaDB system are horizontal partitioning, Galera cluster, and sharding with the spider storage engine.||The partitioning methods used in the PostgreSQL system are partitioning by list, hash, and range.|
|In-memory capabilities||The MariaDB system supports in-memory capabilities. The MariaDB system exhibits a lighter weight when compared to the PostgreSQL system.||In the PostgreSQL system, the system does not support the in-memory capabilities.|
|JSON support||The MariaDB system does not support JSON support, rather than it uses a LONGTEXT column that works similar to JSON.||The PostgreSQL system supports JSON support and also supports JSONB support.|
|Application||The MariaDB system is used to build the database and support web applications, e-commerce platforms, and multimedia sites.||The PostgreSQL system is used in building a large system, and all the data-related operations, like read and write operations, can be executed in a fast manner. It is mostly used in large-scale applications due to the system’s complexity.|
The MariaDB and PostgreSQL is a relational database system that is available as an open-source tool that individual groups and large-scale organizations can use to manage data. Both the system provides stability, reliability, maintenance, and easy deployment. The right system selection completely depends on user requirements and the organization’s requirements.
We hope that this EDUCBA information on “PostgreSQL vs MariaDB” was beneficial to you. You can view EDUCBA’s recommended articles for more information.