Excel Enable Macros (Table of Contents)
- Enable Macros in Excel
- How to open and run Macro setting dialog box in Excel?
Enable Macros in Excel
In MS-Excel we often do the same tasks a number of times. In order to make our task easy and to save our time, we use macros function in Excel. Macros in Excel is a series of commands that can be used to record, automate and perform the repetitive tasks as many times as you want. After creating Macros in Excel, we can edit and make minor changes to the way it works.
What is Enabling of Macros in Excel? Excel
Enabling of macros means any file will be able to run macros codes on your computer, which is potentially dangerous from the security point of view depending on the security levels set in your program and computers.
How to open and run Macros setting dialog box in Excel?
- Enable macros in the Message bar.
- Enable macros in Excel through Macros setting under the Trust center.
- Even if all macros are disabled.
Let us elaborate and understand the above points.
1. Enable macros in the Message bar
- To use this particular method, first, we need to see whether the developer tab is added. If it is added then we can directly start from the developer tab.
- If not, then first add Developer tab in the ribbon and then start.
- Go to the File tab-> Click on Options
- Right click the mouse, anywhere in the ribbon.
- A pop-up list will appear. From the pop-up list choose Customize Ribbon
- Excel Options dialog box will appear. Click on the Customize Ribbon in the left panel menu of Excel Options dialog box.
- On the right-hand side of the panel, Customize ribbon screen Click on Developer under Main tabs, Click OK button. This will add Developer Tab in the Excel ribbon.
- Click on Developer Tab-> Go to the Macro Security option under code group.
- Trust center screen will appear. Click on the Macro Settings in the left panel. To enable macros, select the radio button corresponding to Enable all macros (not recommended; potentially dangerous code can run) option under Macro Settings section.
- When excel document is re-opened which contains macros and Disabled all macros with notification is selected, a yellow Message Bar with a shield icon and Enable content button appears on top of the excel sheet.
- Press Enable content button where the macros are from trustworthy sources.
- Thus the file becomes a trusted document and security warning message will disappear.
- A security Warning message will be displayed in case of Disabled macros.
- To check the same go to File tab -> Click on Info. On the right-hand side, will find Security Warning under Information about enable macros in Excel
- But if the file is enabled, no such option will appear under Info option.
Disabled macros in Excel:
Enabled macros in Excel:
2. Enable Macros in Excel through Macros Settings under Trust center
Steps to follow if Macros Settings are not working:
By default, macros remain disabled in MS Excel. To enable macros in Excel, please refer to the following steps:
- Go to the File menu in Excel ribbon. In the backstage view under Help click on Options -> the Excel Options dialog box will appear.
- Click on the Trust Center in the left panel menu of Excel Options dialog box.
- The Trust Center screen appears in the right panel of the Excel Options dialog box.
- Click on Trust Centre Settings…
- The Trust Center dialog box will appear
- Click on the Macro Settings in the left panel of Trust Center dialog box.
- The Macro Settings options are presented in the right panel with 2 sections, namely, Macro Settings and Developer Macros Settings.
- Under the Macro Settings section, Disable all macros with notification radio button remains selected by default.
- The checkbox corresponding to Trust access to the VBA object model under Developer Macros Settings section remains deselected by default.
- To Enable macros, select the radio button corresponding to Enable all macros (not recommended; potentially dangerous code can run) option under Macros Settings section. Also, select the checkbox corresponding to Trust access to the VBA object model under Developer Macros Settings.
The above settings will enable macros by default in Excel, however, It will expose the computer to vulnerabilities.
3. How to run macros when all macros settings are disabled?
It is possible to run macros even when Disable all macros without notification is turned on. This is possible as part of Excel 2007-2013. In this case, we can run macros-enabled files from locations trusted by Excel.
Following are the steps to be followed for adding locations to the trusted zone.
In Excel click go to File. Click on Options.
- Excel Options dialog box appears. Click on Trust Center option in the left panel of Excel Options dialog box.
- The screen on the right panel of the Excel Options dialog box shows the Trust Center screen. Click on Trust Center Settings… button under Microsoft Excel Trust Center section.
- Trust Center dialog box appears. Click on Trust Locations option in the left panel of Trust Center dialog box. The screen on the right panel of Trust Center dialog box shows the Trust Locations screen. In Trust Locations, the list of trusted locations is seen. You may add new locations or folder.
Following are trusted locations, by default for macros to run from.
- Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Templates\
- Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\XLSTART\
- Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\STARTUP\
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\Library\
One can Add, Remove or Modify trusted locations from Trusted Locations screen.
- Macros is used to make the repetitive complicated task easy and as many times as required.
- Enabling Macros in Excel can be done through the number of methods. Choose the one as per your convenience.
- The benefit of enabling Macros is that it exposes the computer to the possibility of running potential malicious code which may reside inside the macros.
This has been a guide to Enable Macros in Excel. Here we discussed how to Enable and Disable Macros in Excel through different methods along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You can also go through our other suggested articles –