Introduction to Data Architects
Data architects have supervision in a business environment who translates the requirements of the business to technical requirements and gives the proper principle and standard to the business. He is responsible for designing and visualize the enterprise data framework and management. So this framework explains the process in the plan, specify, allow, develop, acquire, manage, use, maintain, retrieve, purge and archive the data. He offers the standard business statements, process strategic requirements, expresses high-level integrated frameworks to achieve the requirements. He aligns with analytic views related to business architecture.
Data Architects Role
- The role of a data architect is to develop complex database systems which are secure and accessible.
- It helps to define the entire use of the database and develop a framework to build, test and manage the database.
- A data architect is also known as an IT specialist whose role is to configure policies to store and access the data, collaborate with different data sources inside a business, and integrate trending data technologies into the existing IT environment.
Data Architect Responsibilities
An effective data architect should have the following responsibilities:
- First, he should coordinate with IT teams and management to structure the data strategy to meet the industry requirement.
- He should have the capability to develop data inventory for architecture implementation and work on the latest opportunities for the acquisition of data. In addition, he should find and evaluate the existing technologies and data management process and create an end-to-end vision to define the flow of data within an enterprise.
- He should develop, design, deploy, debug, and construct data models for database applications and architectures. He should integrate methodological functionalities like security, data recovery, reliability, performance, scalability, and accuracy. He should have a periodic monitor to report and refine the performance of database management.
Data Architect Business Skills
- The data architect should be strong in both business and technical skills, from data mining to problem-solving. The technical skills required to become data architecture are application server software like Oracle, software on database management systems like Microsoft SQL server, enterprise application integration tool like XML, query software, development knowledge on environment software, archival and backup software, ERP implementation, and Agile methodologies, NLP, predictive modeling, data mining, data modeling tools like Visio, ERWin, ETL tools, Perl, C, C++, Python, MS Windows, Solaris, Linux, Unix, NoSQL, Hadoop, Machine learning.
- The business skill for data architects involves effective communication, analytical problem solving, industry knowledge, and expert management. Observing the data challenges at a high level with a clear vision is important and correctly approaching them is the most important. So he should have strong analytical skills to solve the problem prominently. It is mandatory for the data scientist to be open and should have careful listening skills to management to hear and understand the problem. The data analyst and other related staff should work together to achieve the best design to solve the problem and have the best communication skill to make the business understand what it thinks.
- Communication skills are important as he needs to explain the concepts, process, problem, and solution to his non-technical colleagues. The expert management of data architects should direct and advise his crew of data modelers, database admins, data engineers, and junior architects. Industry knowledge is necessary to understand the organization’s functions and how the data is analyzed, used, and collected. It maintains flexibility in the development of big data.
Data Architect Salary
- According to the payscale report, in May 2021, the average salary of a data architect is $121,198 per year in the United States and has the common baseline of $273,000 in the report of Indeed.
- In India, the average pay is Rs.1,722.000 per year, which can rise to Rs. 3,131,000 per year, and if the proper conditions are not met, it can fall to Rs.1,015,000 per year.
Data Architect Further Learning
- The learning road map of data architects begins with common steps. First, graduate with a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, computer science, or related field. The course work should be in programming, development of big data, data management, system analysis, and technology architecture.
- It is preferred to get a master’s degree in the related field of data science. The key element of your application depends on the experience.
- The top performers can expect the job candidates to have related experience in performance management, network architecture, and application architecture. Then he should acquire certification in the data-related fields to shine in his technology. The certification helps him get a fascinating salary in most reputed data-related organizations. Finally, he should work on real-time projects to gain experience in various portfolio, which benefits his future employment.
Data Architect Certifications and Jobs
- There are a few mandatory certifications to expand and assess your knowledge and learning. These certifications are from Hortonworks, IBM, and Salesforce. So, the user should be prepared for the exam and pass it to save time and cost.
- CDMP is developed by Certified Data Management, which we can see in most of the data architect’s profiles. It doesn’t aim at a particular vendor or platform, but it gives a solid input for professionals of the general database. The certification is provided at four levels a master, fellow, practitioner, and associate.
- Big data-IBM certified data architect where the candidate should have strong skills in data replication, cluster management, LDAP security. It aims at Hadoop, Cloudant, BigSQL, and BigInsights.
- Management designer and Salesforce data architecture are provided to the resources working on the Salesforce platform, management designer, and data architecture. The exam is based on the LDV environment, higher-dimensional volume risk, LDV considerations, and mitigation strategies.
Conclusion – Data Architects
A data architect should merge, develop and enforce the new system to the existing database development model and make it a standard one. In addition, he should manage the business repository that comprises data architecture procedures and artifacts.
This is a guide to Data Architects. Here we discuss the introduction, role, responsibilities, business skills, salary, certifications & jobs. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –