What is service-level management?
Service level management (SLM) completely deals with the process accumulation of negotiation, agreement, and documentation of existing services/infrastructure along with some level of policies in place. The process owner of this process is service level manager.
When you speak about service level management, you can encompass the definition of this approach in a way that deals with the monitoring and complete end-to-end management of the quality-of-service (QoS) pertaining to the evaluated entity’s key performance indicators (KPIs). Within organizations, a service level agreement is signed that enables the organization to be completely assured of a defined amount or level of stability within the organization and its service level, and the reliability and performance for its IT infrastructure.
Key performance indicators have a wide spectrum within the entity’s performance range, which includes from coarse-grained availability and usage business stats to fine-grained entity-contained per interaction indicators. Service level management includes the following courses of action:
- Comparison of actual performance with pre-determined expectations
- Determination of appropriate actions to be undertaken
- Production of sensitive and important, vital reports
Within service level management, potential problems can be identified and accordingly, alerts can be created, therefore, minimizing the potential risk of downtime. Also, you can be in your own little comfort zone when it comes to the quality of the solutionized infrastructure for the problem.
In the realms of service level management, there are two kinds of Service level agreements that are prevalent and put to use. They are as follows:
- Service level agreement (SLA)
- Operational level agreement (OLA)
Service Level Agreement (SLA)
With this agreement, a quality service is assured by the service provider to the customer in question. This documentation gives in a warranty that can be assured from the start of the service till its end. This SLA is strictly between the service provider and the customer.
Operational Level Agreement (OLA)
The operational level agreement differs with the SLA only in the aspect of to whom the quality of service is assured too. This agreement is strictly between the service provider and the organization, in other words, it pertains to the service quality within the organization itself.
Service Level Management Activities
Within the service level management framework, there are certain activities that take the level of service rendered to the highest pedestal and makes sure you have to maintain these services within the realms of the different activities carried out. When you look at a service level management list of activities, you will find the following activities contributing to the framework of service level management:
- Determining, documenting, and agreeing to requirements for services
- Creating SLAs
- Monitoring the service performance against the SLA
- Producing service reports
- Conducting service reviews
- Instigating improvements within the overall system and process
- Documenting standards and templates
- Assisting with the service catalog and maintaining document templates
- Developing contracts and relationships
- Recording and managing complaints and compliments
- Collating, measuring, and improving customer satisfaction
- Reviewing and revising SLAs and service scope
Capacity Management: Service Level Management
Within service level management, a very crucial step is managing the capacity. With capacity management, organizations can ensure proper utilization of the resources that are available for use and it promotes for future capacity requirement fulfillment as well, all in a cost-effective and timeline-driven manner.
Capacity is an important aspect of service industries and it’s important to look at it from a cost-reduction angle at all times. Proper utilization of resources forms a vital part of service level management and thus, in capacity management. Incapacity management, we have the capacity manager as the process owner.
Within capacity management, you will come across 3 important components. They include:
- Business capacity management – In this type of management, you have to deal with forecasting and development of plans that will accommodate the business needs that come in the future. Business capacity management is based on the existing data retrieved from the resource utilization taking place currently.
- Service capacity management – Within this type of management, we have to deal with the understanding of the entire functioning of the IT service and how resources are utilized and the variations within them. This can lead to the appropriate service level agreement with the customers.
- Component capacity management – This type of management involves dealing with the different components of resources and helping in managing and optimizing their utilization.
Within this course, you will be able to delve deeper into understanding the entire sphere of service level management and everything that it encompasses on a secondary basis.
Service Level Management Course Description
- Service Level Management– In this section, you will learn the A-Z of service level management and understand what drives it and what resides at the crux of the service level. Learn about the service strategy and service designing, and make your cut as a prudent service level manager or personnel. Understand the various activities that comprise the entire service level management and how it handles the key performance indicators (KPIs) within service level.
- Availability Management– In this section, you will understand all about availability management with all its availability goals and plans that are put in place for each service undertaken. Within availability management, you will understand how to effectively manage and steer service to meet the slated availability goals. Understand the concept of the availability matrix so that you can effectively manage these activities in your organization.
- Capacity Management– In this section, you will get a good view and perspective on accurate measurement and utilization of available resources and you will grasp the management aspect with regard to cost-effectiveness and timeline-based approach towards dealing with capacity and resource utilization.
- IT Service Continuity Management– In this section, you will get to know how to keep services afloat in the face of disasters and delve into insurance claims and procedures pertaining to the same. Learn about recovery management and learn how to ensure that your management is conducted appropriately.
- Information Security Management– In this section, you will get a glimpse into securing organization data and services pertaining to IT. You will learn all about confidentiality and be maintaining data authenticity and integrity.
- Supplier Management– Understand the underlying relationship maintenance that there is to supplier management. In this section, you will open up the box to maintaining lasting and good relationships with different types of suppliers and partners all in an endeavor to elevate the quality of service rendered.
What Are the Requirements/Prerequisites for This Online Course?
Getting into the service layer can be quite a task and this course by eduCBA will ease out your premonitions when it comes to getting into shape and displaying your prowess as a service level manager or executive. In order to completely and successfully complete this course, all you’ll need are the following things:
- Basic knowledge of IT application support
- Basic knowledge of management and resource staking
- An idea about the service industry and service level framework
- An awesome computer and Internet plan (psst… basic configuration would do)
- An ardent passion to learn and grow within this field
Service Level Management Target Audience
With this course, eduCBA plans to scale out to all sections of service strata and tap into its essence by ringing in the knowledge it takes to transform your stake in the system. Individuals who have come in close encounters with IT application support and service designing will be the best people to benefit from this course. Though other professionals such as the ones mentioned below are also welcome to taste the abundance of knowledge that can be grasped for the efficient functioning of the service wing of the organization:
- Business professionals
- Professional in the service sector
- Service level analysts
- Service level managers
- Supplier managers
- Information security managers
- Service continuity managers
- Capacity managers
- Project managers
- Program managers
- Facility managers
- Systems managers
- Process owners
- Business relationship managers
Service Level Management FAQs – General Questions
- What are the USPs of this training course on Service Level Management?
Here, at eduCBA, we take ownership of providing you with the best level of education in a particular and ensure that these pieces of knowledge get over to you in the best way possible. With our courses, there will never be a moment when you get lost as we ensure that all our course videos and materials come over to you at the optimum speed and with basic, simple language, creating a great coverage for you.
- With our service level management course, you will be entitled to:
- Over 9 lectures and over 2 hours of valuable or better still, invaluable content
- Enhance your knowledge in the world of service level management from experts in the field who are ready to spread the knowledge of all best practices and dollops of knowledge
- Design services to deliver more effective and efficient IT and business service solutions in order to satisfy the business objectives put across by the organization, at all levels
- Contribute to the mass improvement of overall quality of IT services rendered by the organization to all spheres of the business
- What should I keep ready with me when I start attending this course?
All you need is a pen, a notepad, and a completely dedicated and committed mind towards the training course. These online courses come with all training material provided and a learning experience of a lifetime.
- Do you provide on-site training as well?
No. We don’t provide on-site training. But, we provide you with online training that has a unique classroom training feel to it. You will be able to grasp just the same as you would at an on-site training facility only now, in the comfort of your chair.
Service Level Management Course Testimonials
It’s amazing to find such a brilliant course on service level management. I was really tired searching for a budget-friendly and open-ended course; then I found eduCBA. Great online courses and service level management is now under my control. Thanks for the wonderful experience. Great content. And amazing facilitator. Kudos!
To get to the very basis of service level management in such clarity and depth is something that very few online (SLM) course portals offer. And this is course here is absolutely great. The support I received is commendable and the videos relay very simple and concise information. Perfect for a person like me who need to know the very foundation of something before starting out with work. I’ve been accomplishing my goals are work for quite some time now and I am happy that I took this course up. Highly recommended to all those who want to master the art of service level management.
Service Level Management Career Benefits
At eduCBA, every service level management course is hand-woven into a masterpiece, delivering the best of the best when it comes to providing guidance and accurate levels of training to students and professionals, all over the world. Service Level Management is no exception. With this training course, you’ll not only reap the benefits in terms of knowledge but also stand ahead of the game when it comes to your future career benefits.
- This course will provide you with the necessary guidance needed when it comes to working with customers and users and manage their expectations, perceptions, and satisfaction levels with the IT services you render.
- We won’t only divulge information and knowledge and theory, techniques but also focus on the importance of good and effective communication and total quality management at every service level.
- Understanding the roots of Service Level Management will enable you to open many doors in this section of business and help you climb the ladder of success quickly.
- With IT service quality and customer satisfaction all improved under your guidance, through the knowledge you receive, you will be able to make accurate and effective decisions when going about the different managerial aspects there are to service level management.
- Service level management and you in control of what happens can surely provide for a sound basis for delivering IT services, making the customer aware of all the moves you take and give them a clear sense and direction of the services rendered.
- You will learn practical skills and knowledge which can be used in the workplace, while at the same time earn a recognized and verifiable certification.