Definition of Capital Budgeting
The capital Budgeting process is one of the most important processes in the financing, accounting, and investment having its importance for the purpose of planning and evaluating the investment projects of the organization by taking into consideration all the future cash inflows and the future cash outflows expected from that particular project thereby evaluating the profitability and growth of the project and helping the management of the organization in proper decision making for the long run.
Capital Budgeting project is important for the evaluation of any particular project of the organization. The growth and prosperity of the business is affected by the capital budgeting decisions of the organization in the long run. Also, the capital budgeting process creates the measurability and accountability of the project by using various techniques like calculation of net present value, considering the internal rate of return, payback period, profitability index, and accounting rate of return. Generally, the value of future net cash flows is determined by taking the discounted rate of return in the calculation.
Importance of Capital Budgeting
The Following are the points describing the importance of Capital Budgeting:
- .Calculation of future cash flows: Capital Budgeting process takes into account the expected future cash inflows and the expected future cash outflows of the project by taking into account the discounted rate of return and following the various techniques like calculation of net present value, considering the internal rate of return, payback period, profitability index, and accounting rate of return Thus, the organization get the idea about present investment’s future total value and the net profitability by using the process of capital budgeting.
- Helps in the long term goals of the organization: Capital Budgeting process helps the organization for the long term decision making as well as in making the long term goals as it provides the idea of future costs and growth taking into account the expected future cash flows. The making of long term goals is the most important and sensitive area for any organization and any wrong decision taken in this area can adversely affect the long term profitability of the organization.
- Control of Expenditure: The capital budgeting process gives the idea of the expected future cash inflows as well as expected future cash outflows. It takes into account the investment cost for the project considering the other related expenditures like Research & Development costs, running costs of the project, etc. So, with this information, the organization can monitor the total costs and have control of its future costs. The proper management and control of the total costs is a very important factor for the growth and efficiency perspective of the company.
- Helps in Permanent Decision Making: Generally, the Capital related decisions are the permanent decisions taken by the organization as it involves the large amount of investments and funds. Such decisions cannot be reversed back in the future once they are taken. Hence, the process of capital budgeting helps in effective decision making for such permanent decisions of the organization.
- Wealth Maximization: The interest and the investment decisions of the shareholders in the company depend on its long term investment decisions. If the investments in the capital or other long term investments are done by the company in the proper and planned manner, the confidence of the shareholders gets boost up and thus they become more interested in investing in the company thus resulting in the company’s wealth maximization.
- Flow of information within the departments: The entire process of capital budgeting involves numerous steps and ideas and a number of decisions are taken by the different levels of the company. This allows the flow and exchange of information within the various departments and thus increases the connectivity between them.
- Protection to the large funds involved: As discussed above, there involves a large amount of funds by the company in the acquisition of the capital assets. Thus with the process of capital budgeting, that large financial investment or a large amount of funds invested by the company gets protected to a certain extent against any uncertainty in future.
- Protection against future risks: There are various risks that are associated with capital acquisitions by the company as they all are related to some future events and uncertainty. Thus, the capital budgeting process helps the organization in the advance assessment of those risks involved, and the management of the company plans for the protection of such risks well in advance to minimize its impact.
- New Opportunities in the market: With the introduction of the new project in the market, there arises many job opportunities for the new employees as well as the existing ones. This gives rise to the economic growth of the country along with boosting up the morale of personals.
- Understanding the Complications of the projects: With the help of the Capital budgeting process, the management of the company can have the idea of different types of complications or Complexities that can be faced or arise during the development of the project. Hence, the management can have ready and advance strategies for dealing with such future complexities arising from the project.
The capital Budgeting process generally helps the company in taking two types of decisions: Investment decisions and financing decisions. When there is no proper planning regarding the development of the project, there is always the risk of the sudden cost increase, delay in the development of the project, regulatory complications, etc. Thus, every company should have the proper capital budgeting processes taken place well in advance before initiating any large investment capital project. Apart from the above risks, the capital budgeting processes helps to evaluate the growth and profitability of the projects. This can also help to compare the profitability of different projects to be carried out by the company and in prioritization of one project over the other. Also, the company will come under safe conditions in terms of the regulatory requirements which results in the boost up of the various shareholders’ investment in the company.
This is a guide to Capital Budgeting Importance. Here we also discuss the definition and importance of capital budgeting along with a detailed explanation. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –