Difference Between Agile vs Lean
Agile is an approach in the Software Development Life Cycle Model involving different end users and owners with well-organized cross-functional teams. This model is quick and easier to follow and implement to deliver business solutions to the customers or end-users. It provides early delivery and continuous improvement with rapid and flexible changes in the requirements frequently.
A lean process is a Software Development model derived or extracted from the Manufacturing practices and principles of Lean, which were translated into the Software Development Domain. This model offers different subcultures with Principles, Values, and a solid framework model with good standards and practices. There are other principles involved in the lean Development model.
Head-to-Head Comparison Between Agile vs Lean (Infographics)
Below are the topmost differences between Agile vs Lean:
Key Difference Between Agile vs Lean
Both Agile vs Lean are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major differences between Agile vs Lean:
- Agile Software Development Model is like building a new thing for the first time, and that too only for one time, whereas Lean Software Development Model is making the same thing again and again on the same thing.
- Agile Software Development Model Lean Software Development Model has different principles, such as eliminating waste, amplifying learning, deciding as late as possible, Delivering as fast as possible, empowering the team, building integrity, and Seeing the whole.
- Agile Software Development Model has a principle of users in its model, whereas Lean Software Development Model obsesses with keyword waste.
- Agile Software Development Model delivers in terms of the product, whereas Lean Software Development Model delivers in terms of value.
- Agile Software Development Model applies heuristics in its model, whereas Lean Software Development Model applies the working product in its model.
- Agile Software Development Model has no option for cost-cutting, whereas Lean Software Development Model has cost-cutting options in its model.
- Agile Software Development Model has some uncertainty or ambiguity, whereas Lean Software Development Model has processed.
- Agile Software Development Model gives more value to the working software. In contrast, Lean Software Development Model provides more value to the process by eliminating the waste that is of no use, which can also reduce or eliminate the software requirement.
- Agile Software Development Model has iterative steps that are as quick as possible. In contrast, the Lean Software Development Model approach has more flow management by reducing the number of workflows in work in progress.
- Agile Software Development Model has different ways, such as Scrum, Kanban, XP, etc., in its frameworks ways whereas Lean Software Development Model has other management processes.
Agile vs Lean Comparison Table
Let us discuss the comparison between Agile vs Lean:
|The basis of Comparison between Agile vs Lean||
|It is a Software Development Model containing six phases throughout its life cycle.||It is also a Software Development Model derived from the Manufacturing model.|
|It is developed using different frameworks like Scrum or Kanban.||It can be developed using the transition of manufacturing principles and processes.|
|The development and integration process can be structured to deliver small or frequent product parts for final development and integration.||It can be developed to use the principles from the Lean model.|
|It enables the dynamic delivery and execution of applications or products.||Utilizing this approach can enhance both the speed and quality of the product.|
|It has six different phases in its life cycle.||It has seven principles in its development model.|
|It is about the scope and value of the product.||It is about the product quality and its speed of development.|
|It can be used for any product development, whether small or large, and a suitable framework can be chosen.||It can be used for building as small batches as possible.|
Ease of use
|It is easier to use for dynamic requirement changes.||It is not flexible for dynamic changes in the deliverables.|
|It supports flexibility in different frameworks’ usage.||It supports continuous inspection and adaption of the product.|
The Agile Software Development model involves an incremental approach with an iterative model. This enables successive software deliverables and releases frequently at small intervals that draw the customer’s or end-users attention, ensuring and indicating the model’s value. In contrast, Lean mode takes the principles and processes from Lean manufacturing to Lean Software Development Model that will get transitioned with similar regulations, which is a different domain. An agile model was developed and proposed for the Software Development processes remarkably.
Agile Software Development Model has more significant benefits, whereas Lean Software Development Model has lesser compared to its principles, processes, and maturity levels in enabling the product deliverables. There are six phases in the Agile Software Development Model or Life Cycle, whereas, in Lean, there are seven principles in its development. The organization or project team can decide to consider either the Agile or Lean Software Development Model based on the requirements of the end-users, the number of target customers, and the complexity of the application. The different processes and standards involved in proceeding with the standards of Agile are Processes, Tools, Good Documentation, Contract Liaison, Quick response to plan changes, etc.
This benefits the customers in early delivery and with deliverables at frequent intervals resulting in customer satisfaction and promises with working software. This further improves the customer’s belief in the team. There are different frameworks in Agile, such as Scrum and Kanban. The other tools used in the Lean principles are efficient and produce effective results. Lean Software Development can also be considered the Agile Software Development Model as it comes under its umbrella, a subset of the Agile model.
This has been a guide to the top difference between Agile vs Lean. Here we also discuss the Agile vs Lean key differences with infographics and a comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –
- Agile vs DevOps
- Software Development vs Web Development
- Agile Scrum Interview Questions
- Lean Analytics