Difference between Agile vs Lean
Agile is a kind of approach in the Software Development Life Cycle Model which involves different end users, owners, with well-organized cross-functional teams. This model is quick and easier to follow and implement in order to deliver business solutions to the customers or end users. It provides early delivery and continuous improvement with rapid and flexible changes in the requirements frequently. The different processes and standards involved in proceeding with the standards of Agile are Processes, Tools, Good Documentation, Contract Liaison, Quick response to plan changes etc. This benefits the customers in early delivery and with deliverables at frequent intervals resulting in customer satisfaction and promises with working software. This further improves the customer belief on the team. There are different frameworks in Agile such as Scrum and Kanban.
A lean process is a Software Development model which was derived or extracted from the Manufacturing practices and principles of Lean which were translated to Software Development Domain. This model offers different subcultures with Principles, Values and solid framework model with a good set of standards and practices. There are different principles involved in the lean Development model. The different tools used in the Lean principles are efficient and produce effective results where Lean Software Development can also be considered as Agile Software Development Model as it comes under its umbrella called a subset of the Agile model.
Head to Head Comparison between Agile vs Lean ( Infographics )
Below are the top most differences between Agile vs Lean
Key Difference between Agile vs Lean
Both Agile vs Lean are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major differences between Agile vs Lean:
- Agile Software Development Model is like building a new thing which is for the first time and that too only for one time whereas Lean Software Development Model is a kind of building the same thing, again and again, that too on the same thing.
- Agile Software Development Model was as Lean Software Development Model has a different set of principles such as Eliminate waste, Amplify learning, Decide as late as possible, Deliver as fast as possible, Empower the team, Build integrity and See the whole.
- Agile Software Development Model has a principle of users in its model whereas Lean Software Development Model obsesses with the keyword waste.
- Agile Software Development Model delivers in terms of product whereas Lean Software Development Model delivers in terms of Value.
- Agile Software Development Model applies heuristics in its model whereas Lean Software Development Model applies working product in its model
- Agile Software Development Model does not have any option for cost-cutting whereas Lean Software Development Model has cost-cutting options in its model
- Agile Software Development Model has some sort of uncertainty or ambiguity whereas Lean Software Development Model has processed.
- Agile Software Development Model gives more value to the working software whereas Lean Software Development Model gives more value to the process by eliminating the waste that is of no use which can reduce or eliminate the software requirement as well.
- Agile Software Development Model has iterative development steps which are as quick as possible whereas Lean Software Development Model approach has more flow management by reducing the number of workflows in work in progress.
- Agile Software Development Model has different ways such as Scrum, Kanban, XP etc. in its frameworks ways whereas Lean Software Development Model has different management processes.
Agile vs Lean Comparison Table
Let us discuss the comparison between Agile vs Lean
|The basis of Comparison between Agile vs Lean||
|It is a Software Development Model which contains six different phases during its entire life cycle||It is also a Software Development Model which was derived from the Manufacturing model.|
|It is developed using different frameworks like Scrum or Kanban||It can be developed using the transition of manufacturing principles and processes|
|It can be developed in such a way that the final development and integration can be done by delivering small or frequent parts of the product||It can be developed in such a way that using the principles from the Lean model.|
|It is used to perform or deliver the applications or products in a dynamic manner||It can be used to improve the speed and quality of the product.|
|It has six different phases in its life cycle.,||It has seven principles in its development model|
|It is about the scope and value of the product||It is about the product quality and its speed of development|
|It can be used for any product development which is either small or large and a suitable framework can be chosen.||It can be used for building as small batches as possible.|
Ease of use
|It is easier to use for dynamic requirement changes||It is not flexible for dynamic changes in the deliverables.|
|It supports flexibility in different frameworks usage||It supports in continuous inspection and adaption of the product.|
Conclusion – Agile vs Lean
Agile Software Development model involves an incremental approach with an iterative model. This enables successive software deliverables and releases frequently at small intervals that draw the attention of customer or end user which will ensure and indicates the value of the model whereas Lean mode takes the principles and processes from the Lean manufacturing to Lean Software Development Model that will get transitioned with similar principles which basically a different domain. An agile model was itself developed and proposed for the Software Development processes particularly.
Agile Software Development Model has greater benefits whereas Lean Software Development Model has lesser compared to its principles, processes and maturity levels in enabling the product deliverables. There are six phases in the Agile Software Development Model or Life Cycle whereas in Lean there are seven principles in its development. Ultimately the requirement of end users and based on the number of target customers and complexity of the application, the Software Development Model to be considered can be decided to whether go for Agile or Lean Software Development Model.
This has been a guide to the top difference between Agile vs Lean. Here we also discuss the Agile vs Lean key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more.