Differences Between WordPress and Drupal
WordPress is an open-source content framework software. It is also referred to as the Blog software and content management system. It is used for exchange information through portals and for writing blogs. It was developed or created by the WordPress Foundation, and its founders are Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little. The first version of this was released in the year 2003, and the latest released version is 4.9 of WordPress. It was written in PHP and MySQL, also used for developing WordPress.
WordPress is free and can be easily used for writing blogs or developing compact websites. WordPress is using the template system for developing or creating websites and blogs. This template system is software that accommodates the different templates with a data model to give the output documents as expected, known as Template Processor. WordPress uses this processor in its web templating system, which helps in developing custom web pages for the user very easily.
WordPress architecture is based on a software design pattern named a Front Controller. This helps in navigating the web pages from one request to another when requested by the user or events that occurred on a website. WordPress has supported the operating systems Unix-like and windows.
WordPress has some features like themes, Plugins; Mobile supported applications. Themes can be customized in WordPress as per the requirement of the client or individual. It gives a different look to the content and folders. There a lot of free themes available for WordPress. Plugins help WordPress to be used widely in terms of functionality and features. WordPress is used to develop native applications like for any platform for android as well as IOS.
Drupal is an open-source content management system. It is also referred to as a content management framework, blog software, and community. It was developed or created by Dries Buytaert. Drupal was released in the year 2000, and its latest version is 8.5. It supported the operating system Unix-like and windows. It was written in PHP. It’s available in multi-languages.
Drupal uses the term “Core”, which provides a wide extent of its features and functions. Drupal is based on Core modules, Core themes, Auto-update notification, database abstraction, and accessibility. The core module provides different features like advanced search, books, blogs, comments, Multi-level menu system, multi-site support, multi-user content creation, security and the new update, workflow tools, user profiles, access static, and logging. The core theme will provide a different feel and look to websites and blogs.
Drupal architecture is based on a software architectural pattern, which is known as Presentation Abstraction Control (PAC) and PAC follows the model view controller. Drupal is mainly used as a flexible and richly featured content management system. It has an excellent community support system. Drupal provides a secure API and is SEO friendly as well.
In Drupal, if there is any new story or page, forum topic, etc. is referred to as a node. The node module is responsible and takes care of adding, removing, and editing any content on the website. A piece of information (block) can be displayed at a particular location, and that location is called a region. Regions are like the left sidebar, header, footer, etc. Blocks can be fit into any region based on configuration settings.
Head to Head Comparison Between WordPress and Drupal (Infographics)
Below is the Top 8 Comparison Between WordPress vs Drupal
Key Differences Between WordPress and Drupal
Both are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major differences:
- WordPress is more SEO-friendly because of the availability of plugins on a large scale. Drupal is fewer SEO-friendly as compared to WordPress.
- In WordPress, updating the content means adding, deleting, or editing is far easier. In Drupal, the same is difficult with respect to WordPress.
- WordPress takes less time and gives better performance for developing and updating the website. In Drupal, it takes more time and less performance.
- WordPress has a size issue as it is meant only for blogs initially. It is not able to handle a large amount of content. Drupal does not have any size issues; it can easily handle a large amount of data for the website.
- WordPress has fewer features and functionalities. Drupal has a wide range of features and functionalities, which is very useful for creating multi-page sites.
- WordPress provides native mobile apps; mostly, they are not having any issues. Drupal sometimes create a separate URL for mobile.
- WordPress has less security because of the usage of many plugins. Drupal provides good security as compared to WordPress.
- WordPress is less costly as of free themes and plugins availability. Drupal is costlier as themes need to be purchased at a higher cost as compared to WordPress.
- WordPress has great online forums and a community for providing support, and developers are more in number. Drupal is behind in the same compared to WordPress.
- WordPress has less learning curve. Drupal required a lot more to learn about developing a website compared to WordPress.
Comparison Table Between WordPress vs Drupal
Following is the comparison table between WordPress vs Drupal
|The Basis Of Comparison||WordPress||Drupal|
|Architecture||WordPress has front controller architecture.||Drupal has Presentation abstraction Control architecture.|
|Programmed||WordPress was written in PHP and based on MySQL as well.||Drupal was written in PHP using the symphony framework of PHP|
|Multilingual||WordPress is not available in Multi-languages||Drupal is available in Multi-languages.|
|Complex||WordPress is simple||Drupal is complex as compared to WordPress.|
|Applications||WordPress has been used for small websites or applications.||Drupal is more ideal for large content-based websites.|
|Customization||WordPress themes and plugins really help in better customization||Drupal provides fewer features for customization.|
|User Interface||WordPress user interface is more user-friendly.||A Drupal user interface is less friendly as compared to WordPress.|
WordPress vs Drupal both are used as content management frameworks for developing websites and writing blogs. WordPress is most popular among developers as it is easy to use, understand, and, most importantly, easy to learn. Whereas Drupal offers you flexibility in the system, more secure and reliable.
The above is the difference between both that helps you to know about their basic things. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages. As per your requirements, you have to select and start developing the website or blogs.
This has been a guide to Differences Between WordPress vs Drupal, their Meaning, Head to Head Comparison, Key Differences, Comparison Table, and Conclusion. You may also look at the following articles to learn more.