Introduction to Prince2 Process
Project in Controlled Environment is termed as PRINCE2. This is one of the leading project management methods in the United Kingdom used by both the private and public sectors. In this topic, we are going to learn about the PRINCE2 Process.
PRINCE2 is defined as a project management methodology of 7s. It has 7 principles, 7 themes, and 7 processes to work on the project. All these 7s work together and are interconnected to make successful project delivery.
As the name says, PRINCE2 Processes is a process-based project management methodology. This methodology of development is made to control the commencement, progression, and termination of projects. PRINCE2 process focuses mainly on three constraints time, cost and quality. PRINCE2 methodology does good communication with the developing team members and defines the roles and responsibilities clearly to every team member; its prime focus is on the product that the project was established to deliver.
Principles of PRINCE2 Process
PRINCE2 process works on seven principles. And these principles can be applied to all projects irrespective of language, geography, and culture.
- Continued business
- Manage by stages
- Focus on products
- Tailor to suit the project
- Manage by exception
- Learn from experience
- Defined roles and responsibilities
1. Continued business justification
The justification here is termed as the reason behind starting the project, and this justification continues and remains valid throughout the project cycle. The requirements from the project are studied deeply at the very initial stage, and after discussions, the business case is made ready as an outline form; it is redefined in detail during the initial stage itself. The business case is updated after the finishing of every working stage so it can reflect an updated forecast for time, cost, benefits, and risks. The business case is reviewed at the end of every completion stage or management stage to check whether to continue with the project or not.
2. Manage by stages
As said, difficult tasks should be broken then solved in steps. The required project is not started at once with all stages; it should be broken down to stages and then planned and executed accordingly. Every project should have the initial stage where the business case should be defined. The benefits of doing so can do helpful for assessing the risks for the next stage and easy to manage the development.
3. Focus on products
PRINCE2 process indulges an output-oriented approach; the project and end results are an integral part of defining the product, quality, and other important criteria for successful outcomes. The description of the product is one of the important points during development; it should contain the purpose, composition, derivation, format, presentation, development skills required, quality criteria, quality tolerance, quality method, quality skills, and quality responsibility.
4. Tailor to suit the project environment
In this process, the project can be tailored and scaled. If the PRINCE2 process is used for the needs of the projects, it can successfully work for the project but may not work well if used dogmatically.
5. Manage by exceptions
In this process, the managing style is kept a bit different and tolerable; the managers must keep the tolerance level for different project objectives to optimize the delegation of authority. Smoothly running a project does not necessarily need interventions from managers; it is ok to just inform the higher authority that there is or may be a problem.
6. Learn from the experience
The team who have worked previously should learn from their previous projects about good and bad during the project’s development. For this purpose, the lesson log is kept updated.
7. Defined roles and responsibilities
This is one of the very important factors of a win-win situation that every team member included in the development of the project should know what they and others are doing; they should be aware of who are the decision-makers.
Themes of PRINCE2
PRINCE2 process has seven themes on which it put focus during project development. The themes provide insight into how the project should be managed. Themes can let managers understand how to apply the projects correctly; these themes are set up at the starting of the project and continue throughout the project development. the status of the project can be kept on track by using the themes of the PRINCE2 process.
- Business case: This theme is for the continued business justification principle. This theme works when the decision is about project identity, which says whether a project is worthwhile and achievable, it provides full knowledge of the project.
- Organization: This theme is related to the roles and responsibilities principal of the PRINCE2 process. This theme requires the manager to keep his team’s record with the roles and responsibilities assigned to everyone for the project development.
- Quality: This is for the focus on product principles. Quality is the prime requirement from the product, to keep this assured, the quality should be defined at the beginning of a project; also, keeping the quality work on track throughout could help.
- Plans: The planning for completing a project is done at the starting, which defines how the target will be achieved. Its prime focus is on products, timescale, cost, quality, and benefits from the project.
- Risk: This theme is important for identifying, assessing and controlling uncertain events during the project development. The risk log is maintained to keep the information; the risks are denoted threats and opportunities, negative risks are threats, and positive risks are opportunities.
- Change: This theme is working when the user makes the change request during the project; it also works when any unexpected issue arises. The idea is to agree on changes and apply them before they are executed.
- Progress: This is all about tracking the project. The progress theme allows managers to check and control where they are relative to the plan. The chances are higher than the project can go off track without keeping track; the nether manager will know where the project has gone till that time.
This is a guide to the PRINCE2 Process. Here we discuss the basic concept, themes and principles of the Prince2 process, respectively. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –