Difference Between PHP vs .Net
PHP is an open-source programming language for web development. It supports platforms Unix-like and Windows. The PHP code can be embedded in HTML language as well and used as the server-side scripting language. It makes the applications more dynamic and simple. It can be executed with the help of command-line tools and GUI applications. .Net is a software framework that mainly runs on Microsoft Platforms or Windows. .Net is not an operating system or programming language. .Net is a layer between an operating system and the programming languages. It makes easy for the developers to write code in any language as the only syntax is different for the language.
- PHP was created and developed by Rasmus Lerdorf and Zend technologies and released in the year 1995. The last stable release is 7.2.5 in 2018. It was written in C and C++ language. PHP filename has extensions like .php, .php3, .php4, .php5, .php7, .phps. PHP also referred to as PHP: Hypertext Pre-processor.
- The syntax of PHP is similar to C language. It can easily have connected to a database like Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server, etc. PHP has used the PHP interpreter to process the code.
- PHP is very simple, efficient, secure and flexible. PHP is widely used in small web applications and is more popular than other languages. A blue elephant having a PHP logo represented the PHP mascot. Oops, a concept has been introduced in PHP 3 and PHP 4, which make the programming easier.
- .Net was released in the year 2002. It is licensed and open source as well. .Net framework components like CLI and CLR wrote in C, C++, and Assembly language. It was developed by Microsoft. Most of the framework classes written in C#, which are getting executed in CLR.
- It supports many programming languages like C#, Vb.net, J#, managed C++, etc. It provides a common set of libraries that can be accessed from various.Net based programming languages. For each language, there are the same set of class libraries. Nowadays, Microsoft provided.Net framework freely with Windows. It means, as part of the operating system automatically any version of .net framework installed in the system.
- It is a framework as it provides extensive programming and a common platform for all the supported languages. It provides a common class library, which can be called from any of the supported languages.
- .Net framework compiles the code and converts into IL (Intermediate language), it means compiled executable contains the IL and not the machine language executable. It takes care of the execution while the any.Net application runs. It has main components that are Common language runtime (CLR),.Net framework class library (FCL), Common language specification (CLS), Common Type System (CTS), metadata and assemblies.
- .Net framework provides many features like interoperability, language independence, platform independence. It also enforces the type safety. It supports cross-platform. It has its own security mechanism. It also helps in managing the memory as well. The garbage collector (GC) runs after the particular interval of time to remove the unused objects and allocates that memory to the new objects. The garbage collector usage in .net framework referred to as generational. It also enhances the performance of the application.
Head To Head Comparison Between PHP vs.Net
Below is the top 8 difference between PHP vs.Net
Key Differences between PHP vs.Net
Both PHP vs.Net are popular choices in the market; let us discuss some of the major Difference Between PHP and.Net:
- PHP doesn’t take the system resources in abundance which makes it easy for PHP to operate at fast speed and it doesn’t slow down the other processes as well. .Net uses more system resources as compared to PHP and it requires high system configuration to make the system smooth.
- PHP provides more freedom to code and work as it is open source. In.Net, freedom is limited as we have to use visual studio IDE only to develop.
- PHP developers can use text editor for development like Notepad++ rather than full-fledged IDE. In.Net we need to use mainly VS IDE only.
- PHP is highly scalable as most of the high traffic websites are using this like Wikipedia. .Net is also scalable and websites are used like stack overflow etc.
- PHP is free of cost. .Net is Microsoft product and needs to buy the license to use that product. To use .net, it requires to buy windows as well and it is expensive for most of the people. Similarly, windows hosting and using VS IDE also need licensing which makes development costlier.
- PHP has great popularity among the developers using as a programming language. .Net is less popular compared to PHP according to usage.
- PHP is very simple and easy to learn. .Net languages are complex and difficult to learn comparatively.
- PHP has shown more flexibility and compatibility with every operating system. But it is doubtful in case of .net framework
PHP vs.Net Comparison Table
Below is the topmost comparison Between PHP vs.Net
|The basis of comparison between PHP vs.Net||
|Programmed||PHP was programmed in C and C++ programming language.||.Net was programmed in C, C++, assembly language and some framework classes in C#.|
|Framework||PHP is a Programming language.||.Net is a platform-neutral framework|
|Application||PHP has been widely used to develop web applications only.||.Net framework is widely used in developing applications for desktop and web as well.|
|Development||In PHP, development, and deployment is easy.||.Net framework intellisense makes the development easier.|
|Open Source||PHP is open source.||.Net framework is licensed.|
|Languages||PHP does not support many languages like .net framework.||.Net framework supports many languages like C#, J#, Vb.net|
|Performance||PHP applications give a good performance.||.Net applications provide better performance.|
Conclusion – PHP vs.Net
PHP vs.Net both are used for developing web applications. PHP is open source, free and readily available for the platforms. .Net is a framework and needs to purchase the licenses from Microsoft to use. This both PHP vs.Net are highly scalable.
PHP is stronger in providing the consistency, uniform variable syntax, sensitive context and an abstract syntax, which makes the language consistent. PHP is simple and easier to learn and most widely used in the market. PHP has a large support in terms of online resources, a good number of template engines and developers, a large array of editors and tool.
Both PHP vs.Net language has its own strong areas. While building an application, there are a lot of things that need to be taken care of and to select an appropriate language for developing an application is one of the complicated tasks. Pros and cons of the language are considered for selecting and most importantly the performance, scalability, cost, support and maintainability are primary concerns.
This has a been a guide to the top difference between PHP and.Net. Here we also discuss the PHP vs.Net key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following PHP vs.Net articles to learn more –
- HTML vs PHP – Amazing Comparison
- Java vs.Net Differences
- Ruby vs PHP- Which One Is Better
- Top Best benefits of C# vs Js
- Guide on MongoDB vs PostgreSQL
- MongoDB vs Hadoop: Amazing Guide
- MongoDB vs Oracle: Want to know about the Features
- MongoDB vs Cassandra: Amazing Guide
- PHP vs C#: Differences
- Want to know about SQL Server Interview Questions
All in One Software Development Bundle (600+ Courses, 50+ projects)
4.5 (1,816 ratings)
600+ Online Courses
Python Certification Course
Become a Complete iOS Developer
Programming Languages Courses