Introduction to Firebase vs MongoDB
Firebase is the type of real-time application that is developed by Google. This database is used to share a huge volume of data and the data is stored in a synchronized manner. In real-time, the Firebase database is so powerful that it can be easily used for accessing the data from any type of device like mobile or web. All the data is stored in a cloud that eliminate the need for database maintenance. The MongoDB is a NoSQL type of database that means there is no fixed structure and the data can be stored in any form. MongoDB is a document-oriented type database.
Head to Head Comparison between Firebase vs MongoDB (Infographics)
Below are the top 7 comparisons between Firebase vs MongoDB:
Key differences between Firebase vs MongoDB
Let us discuss some key differences between Firebase vs MongoDB in the following points:
1. The major difference between firebase and the MongoDB database is the categorization of it. MongoDB is the database and the firebase is a real-time application platform. MongoDB is the database that stores the data in a document-oriented JSON form. The MongoDB database stores both structured and unstructured data in the database. The database is dynamic in nature and also has an additional feature like it is scalable, has a replication model and auto recover mechanism. On the other hand, in firebase, it is a real-time application platform that is cloud-based and used to hare the data in real-time. The data can be shared from any device in the firebase platform. Access to data can be provided from any place in the firebase platform.
2. The other difference between the Firebase and MongoDB database is the reason to choose the right platform for storing data. As the firebase is a real-time backend platform that stores data on the cloud the data is easily accessible from the remote locations and the setup of the firebase platform is easy compared to other types of databases. The firebase database is mostly preferred for the small-time application thus makes the platform more responsive and fast. The retrieval time of data is very less in the firebase database. The MongoDB database is the NoSQL database which means there is no structure of the database. The data can be stored in form i.e. structured data and unstructured data. The data is stored in JSON format. MongoDB is easy to use which makes the database favorable to use. The MongoDB database is mostly preferred for the large-scale type applications that require the large size of the database as there is a need to store huge chunks of data in the database.
3. The other main difference between Firebase and MongoDB database is the cost factor. As the firebase uses the cloud platform for storing the data the cost of firebase is higher and the setup cost is more compared to the MongoDB database. The cloud platform is costlier compared to stored data on any other platform. The MongoDB database is a normal database and is cheaper compared to the firebase. The MongoDB database is also an open-source platform and is provided free so that anybody can use the database in their applications.
4. The other key difference between Firebase and MongoDB is stability and performance. The MongoDB database is more stable when it is compared to firebase. The firebase uses the cloud platform for storing data that makes the server unstable and also contains flexibility issues. MongoDB has a certain advantage over firebase as the performance is very high of MongoDB compared to firebase. The servers are also more stable compared to firebase.
5. Another difference between MongoDB and firebase is support for other services. The firebase platform can be easily integrated with other firebase services and is easily manageable. There is no such feature supported in the MongoDB database.
6. One of the differences between Firebase and MongoDB is the use of the service. The firebase can be used by anonymous users and can be accessed from remote locations. The data in firebase can be accessed from any type of device. In the MongoDB database, authorized users can only access the store data in the database. And proper authentication is required as the MongoDB database has additional security features compared to firebase.
Comparison Table of Firebase vs MongoDB
The table below summarizes the comparisons between Firebase vs MongoDB:
|Database Release||Firebase database was released in the year 2012 by Google.||MongoDB database was released in the year 2009 by MongoDB.|
|Performance||Firebase database lacks behind from MongoDB when it is compared in terms of database performance.||MongoDB performs seamlessly and faster compared to the firebase database. The database is capable of storing huge chunks of data easily and can be managed easily without affecting the performance.|
|Operating System Supported||Firebase database uses the hosted operating system.||MongoDB is very versatile and supports various types of operating systems like Solaris, Windows, OS X, and Linux operating systems.|
|Security||The firebase database is also less secure compared to the MongoDB database and has less functionality to support security features.||The MongoDB database comes up with advanced security feature which increases the use of MongoDB database and has additional security features when it is compared to the firebase database.|
|Applications||Firebase database is mostly used for small size applications as there is no requirement of additional security in small scale applications.||MongoDB database is mostly used for large scale applications. MongoDB database is capable of storing huge chunks of data and has additional security features that help to store the data in secure form in the MongoDB database.|
The MongoDB and firebase platform has its own advantage and disadvantage. And the use of the database is completely dependent on the requirement of the application. As both databases are capable of storing the huge chunks of data in the database and the retrieval time of data is very less in both types of database MongoDB and firebase.
This is a guide to Firebase vs MongoDB. Here we discuss the Firebase vs MongoDB key differences with infographics and comparison table. You may also have a look at the following articles to learn more –