Introduction to CubicTest
CubicTest can be defined as, one of the freely accessible plug-ins available inside the Eclipse tool, which is typically used for verifying and validating the web-based applications or the websites. The user interface of the CubicTest tool aids in creating tests to be executed for ensuring the application’s quality, without the need for building the test scripts by the users themselves. When the eclipse is used with the CubicTest plug-in, the software development process here can be explained as a type of ‘test-driven development’ of the web-based application, and also an alternative to the documentation involved in the software development lifecycle.
How Does CubicTest Work?
This Eclipse plug-in is normally used on the code developed with the help of the Eclipse application, for applying the verification process and testing the code while using the Selenium and the Watir tools as a part of the quality assurance process inside the software development process. A few of the library elements come handy with the CubicTest plug-in in Eclipse tool are CubicRecorder, CubicShop, CubicShopTest, CubicSite, CubicTestFeature, CubicTestPlug-in, CubicTestSeleniumExporter, CubicTestSeleniumRC, CubicTestUpdateSite, CubicTestWatirExporter, etc. This tool has the graphical user interface (GUI) flexible for the testers to work on, which contains the test editor window that is centered for handling all the web pages the web applications hold on them.
The functional structure of the CubicTestplug-in is perceptive of handling the traditional methods of building a web-based application as well as the latest technological outcomes like the Ajax that covers the majority of UI features. The structural style of the CubicTest tool aids in gathering the tests, placing the tests, executing the tests, exporting the tests, recording the test flow, and documenting the test results after the test execution is complete. This plug-in lets the Selenium RC test runner, the Selenium Core exporter, the Watir exporter, etc. to be employed on the functional areas where ever necessary for the application to make sure the quality is remarkable. CubicTest also uses the Selenium RC recorder to straight-up fetch the recorded functional flow inside the Eclipse tool, where the HTML make-believe exporter is applied for the purpose of imposing the test-based development process on to the software development lifecycle.
In order to work on this plug-in tool, the tester need not have the technical knowledge similar to any other testing tool used for manual testing, functional testing or the automation testing. The plug-in comes with the meta-information files that are used for keeping track on the selenium version used, the library elements that is used for working along with the .sh or the shell script files, the build.properties file for build support, cubictest.jar & cubictest.pom for working along with the selenium test flow, splash. BMP is used for RCP or Rich Client Platform configuration, etc. The testing professional who intends to use the CubicTestplug-in in the Eclipse application can simply use the predefined options to just add the plug-in on to the Eclipse tool, and then can use the added feature to implement the test-driven development process for the website or the web-based application.
Features of CubicTest
The CubicTestplug-in works as an add -on the tool for the Eclipse application to let it take care of the test execution process,
1. This plug-in is a detailed plug-in for creating tests ran using various testing tools such as the Selenium automation testing tool and the Watirtesting tool.
2. It is known for generating the web-based tests for performing the test execution quicker and simpler.
3. Another well noticed feature of the CubicTestplug-in is that the tool can make more robust, reliable, consistent, and reusable tests that can be used for the successful test execution.
4. The graphical user interface of this tool consists of the dedicated areas for keeping a check on the web page progression and the state transitions.
5. It supports all the leading development platforms for web applications, from the traditional methods to the latest technologies like the Ajax methods.
6. The recording option in the Selenium RC tool can be easily used as an inclusion for the CubicTest tool, and similarly the test runner as well.
7. The tests ran with the help of the CubicTestplug-in are independent and cannot be influenced by the other tools from the eclipse application.
8. CubicTest is a graphical Eclipse plug-in for writing Selenium and Watir tests. The test process here is based on the looks of the website or the web-based application, instead of the coding aspects which are typically used by other tools during the web application testing process.
9. The CubicTest tool comes with the provisions to access the HTML elements in the web page, which aids in sustaining the testing process as a framework based, and not as the program based method.
10. The identification factors used in the web application can be defined as the process of gathering several classifications, such as the id or the name of the elements used for building the web-based application or the website. It also uses the XPath expressions for facilitating this plug-in to function as expected.
11. The plug-in makes the test formation, test definition, and test execution remarkably straight forward and effortless to handle the complete test flow.
Advantages and Disadvantages
Below are the advantages and disadvantages of CubicTest:
- No extra cost applied for using the CubicTest plug-in in the Eclipse tool.
- The build is Vigorous, non-redundant, and consistent that makes the tool more reliable.
- Quality Assurance for the user interface based web application.
- It comes as a package with supporting library elements.
- This tool is not efficient for accommodating the Functional changes during the testing phase.
- Not trustworthy for the web-based applications that are built using the Agile methodology of the software development process.
CubicTestplug-in tool is one of the many plugins available in the Eclipse application that comes as a package including all the supporting elements in it. It can be used along with the various testing tools, which are supported by the Eclipse itself, for making sure the quality of the web application to be met as expected by the client.
This is a guide to CubicTest. Here we discuss the brief overview of CubicTest and its Features along with advantages and disadvantages. You can also go through our other suggested articles to learn more –
- SDLC vs STLC – Top Differences & Comparison
- What is Agile Testing? | Top 7 Principles & Benefits
- SDLC vs Agile | Top Key Differences
- Top 10 DLC Interview Questions & Answers