Introduction to Career in Designing
In this Topic, we are going to learn about a career in design. The field of DESIGNING has a vast spectrum of work which varies from industry to industry since everything that can be seen or touched has been designed in the initial stage before the final outcomes appear.
Let’s try to understand the field of DESIGNING by witnessing some crucial specializations –
- Industrial and
- Knitwear designs
Education Required For Career in Designing
Though a candidate can learn the related tools at his convenience at any age, we must inform our readers that education plays a crucial role in shaping the behavior of the candidates. Have a look –
Bachelor of design, aka B.Design, is a dedicated undergraduate academic degree in designing that lasts for a duration of 4 years. Variants of which are Bachelor of design degree, bachelor of design arts, bachelor of design studies.
Some best institute for pursuing this course are –
- NID, National Institute of Designing
- CEPT, Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology University
There is other renounced university like Srishti and Lovely that take part in the design career upliftment.
Career Path in Designing
A career in design has always been a troublesome task for both the students and parents. We have to face these situations in our life – most probably after the 12th. One thing that separates this profession is the candidate must have eagerness and commitment. The internet is filled with courses and certifications for every design stream we have mentioned in our article, but they won’t be helpful if the candidate lacks creativity and out of box thinking. There are countless companies and design studios that are looking for creative individuals. Possibilities are great with freelance work in the design field.
Below we have listed some design centers for enhancing the design career –
- Arena Animation
- Indian school of design & innovation (ISDI)
- Whistling Woods International
- Woxsen School of art and design
- Chitkara University
- IIAD – Indian Institute of art and design
- Arch Academy of design
- UPES School of design
- SOFT – school of fashion technology
The list does not end here, and the different countries offer a wide variety of courses – have a look.
- University of Southampton
- University of Central Lancashire
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- Heriot-Watt University
- Coventry School of Art and Design
- University College for the Creative Arts
- Central Saint Martins College of Arts & Design
- Chelsea College of Art & Design
- University of the Arts London
- Birmingham Institute of Art & Design
- Ravensbourne College of Design and Communication
- Royal College of Arts
- The Glasgow School of Art, Scotland
- De Montfort University, Leicester
- London College of Fashion
- University of Brighton
- Leeds Arts University
United States of America
- Fashion Institute of Technology
- Cleveland Institute of Art
- Art Centre College of Design
- Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, RI
- The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, Los Angeles
- California College of Arts, San Francisco
- College for Creative Studies, Detroit
- School of Art and Design, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY
- Parsons School of Design, New York, NY
Job Positions or Application Areas in Designing
As we have said, there is wide applicability of the designers across all spears of life. Either it is a digital medium to the concrete world to a fast-moving Lamborghini to the tip of your ballpoint pen, each has some relation to design.
Graphics designers, illustrators, web designers, animators, VFX artist, covers the media and film industry across the globe. Architects take care of all the buildings and concrete work. Product designers play a crucial role in designing every piece of household items, from the color of the wrapper to the product itself. Automobile designers are responsible for designing fast-moving vehicles and aircraft designers for flying machines.
The employment of graphic designers is projected to grow 4 % from 2016 to 2026, slower than the average for all occupations. Graphic designers are expected to face strong competition for available positions.
The employment of fashion designers is projected to grow 3 % from 2016 to 2026, slower than the average for all occupations. The projected decline in employment in the apparel manufacturing industry moderates the projected employment growth of fashion designers.
The employment of interior designers is projected to grow 4 % from 2016 to 2026, slower than the average for all occupations. Designers will be needed to respond to consumers’ expectations that the interiors of homes and offices meet certain conditions, such as being environmentally friendly and more easily accessible.
The employment of industrial designers is projected to grow 4 % from 2016 to 2026, slower than the average for all occupations. Consumer demand for new products and new product styles should sustain the demand for industrial designers.
A designer and the design team has always been an integral part of any construction work. The facts and stats give evidence in support of designers and the crucial role they play. Their work gives a vision to the future via prototypes or dummy work.
A better designer will definitely save time with:
- Better solution
- Enhanced project dynamics
- Better and improved design process
This has been a guide to Career in Designing. Here we have discussed the introduction, education, career path in design, job position, and career outlook. You may also look at the following article to learn more-